Briefly: Adobe notes Lion-related 'known issues'; Samsung and iPad 2; B2B volume apps

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
On the heels of Apple's release of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, Adobe has published a list of "known issues" with its products on the upgrade. Also, Samsung appears to have taken over for LG in supplying the display driver for the iPad 2. Finally, Apple has officially launched its Business Volume Purchase Program for the App Store.

Adobe and Lion

As noted by TUAW, Adobe posted a Knowledge Base article on Wednesday providing information on which of its products are affected by Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. Apple released Lion on the Mac App Store early Wednesday.

The support article addresses several adjustments across all products, such as the fact that Apple has hidden the user Library folder and now requires manual installation of Java in Lion. In addition, Lion compatibility issues for key offerings from Adobe, such as Acrobat, Flash, Illustrator, Lightroom, Photoshop and Premiere Pro, are listed.

Adobe Flash in particular appears to be having trouble with Apple's latest OS update. "Flash Player may cause higher CPU activity when playing a YouTube video," the article read, suggesting that the issue was "possibly related to disabled hardware acceleration."

Update: Adobe has issued an update to the article, noting that "the final release of Mac OS X Lion (10.7) provides the same support for Flash hardware video acceleration as Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6)." The suggestion that video hardware acceleration was disabled in Lion had incorrect ly been based on tests "with a pre-release version of Mac OS X Lion that related to only one particular Mac GPU configuration." The company reiterated that it continues "to work closely with Apple to provide Flash Player users with a high quality experience on Mac computers."

"The Flash Player settings dialog does not respond to mouse clicks. If you find yourself in this state, you can use the "tab" key to change the focus to the "Close" button and use the spacebar to close the dialog. While not all settings are available, you can also use the Flash Player native control panel located in System Preferences," the document continued.

The company also revealed that it is looking into adding new Lion features such as Autosave, Restore, Versioning, Full Screen Mode and additional multi-touch gestures to its offerings. "Since many of these features require new code in order to work properly, Adobe will investigate which ones make sense to our customers for inclusion in future versions of our products," the article read.

Adobe has been slower to adopt new features from Apple. For instance, the company released its first product on the Mac App Store on Tuesday, more than six months after the store opened. The two companies have a complicated relationship, as Mac users purchase roughly half of Adobe's Creative Suite products, while the two also compete in a range of markets.

Last year, Apple CEO Steve Jobs published an open letter criticizing Flash and defending the company's decision to not add support for the technology in the iPad. Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen fired back by calling Jobs' claims "patently false" and a "smokescreen."

In June, Narayen said the two companies are "done having the argument" over Flash.

Samsung and iPad 2

Even as reports have emerged that Samsung may be losing some of Apple's semiconductor orders because of a heated legal disagreement, new teardowns have revealed that Apple is now using a Samsung Wise-View display driver chip instead of the LG chip that has been used since the original iPad.

iFixit reported that "Chipworks' latest batch of iPad 2s" contained the new chip, although it's not clear whether all new units of the device have it. The driver apparently has "changed significantly," but the reasons for the change are unknown.

Credit: Chipworks

Apple filed a complaint against Samsung in April, accusing the South Korean electronics giant of copying the look and feel of the iPhone and iPad. The two have since traded several shots (1, 2) via federal courts and the U.S. International Trade Commission.

?It has become very public and very ugly, very quickly,? Gleacher & Co. analyst Brian Marshall has said. ?They?re just going after each other?s throats.?

Business Volume Purchasing

Apple announced on Wednesday that its Volume Purchase Program for Business is now available. The company first teased the program, which provides businesses with a streamlined method of purchasing apps in volume, last week.

Businesses interested in enrolling in the program will need a D-U-N-S number from Dun & Bradstreet, as well as contact information and a valid business address for the company. Currently, only U.S.-based businesses are eligible for the Volume Purchase Program.

One highlight of the program is a new service that allows developers to sell custom "B2B apps" to business customers. Though the apps will still be subject to the same review guidelines and process as apps bound for the App Store, once B2B apps are approved, developers can privately sell them directly to Volume Purchase Program members.

The Cupertino, Calif., company has seen quick adoption of its iOS devices among the enterprise. Apple revealed on Tuesday that 91 percent of Fortune 500 are using or testing the iPhone as a primary device, while 86 percent of Fortune 500 are deploying or testing the iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Well good for Adobe. Instead of ignoring the problems for 6 months they are acknowledging them ahead of time like Lion didn't' exist before today.

I feel so sorry for Adobe developers. Are there any windows in the office?
  • Reply 2 of 44
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    What the heck Adobe... why is Adobe so incredibly dysfunctional... Are they not allowed in Apple's developer program? or can they not stomach the $100/year...

Nearly ever other piece of commercial software I use on a daily basis was updated a MONTH ago in anticipation of Lion... heck nearly all the non-commercial software I use daily was updated even before that.

$2000 for CS 5.5 MC and they can't even prepare ahead of time for an OS upgrade? not even a little bit? NOT ONE FREAKING UPDATE OR BUG FIX FROM ADOBE for lion... not one...
  • Reply 3 of 44
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I stopped giving up my money to Adobe and instead have been giving it to pixelmator because adobe stays loosing. Late upgrades and crap like that....no thanks. IF they are going to treat mac users like second rate citizens then I don't have to spend 700+ dollars on their overpriced software...and to think I was actually considering buying photoshop again.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb510 View Post

What the heck Adobe... why is Adobe so incredibly dysfunctional... Are they not allowed in Apple's developer program? or can they not stomach the $100/year...

Nearly ever other piece of commercial software I use on a daily basis was updated a MONTH ago in anticipation of Lion... heck nearly all the non-commercial software I use daily was updated even before that.

$2000 for CS 5.5 MC and they can't even prepare ahead of time for an OS upgrade? not even a little bit? NOT ONE FREAKING UPDATE OR BUG FIX FROM ADOBE for lion... not one...

What other software are you talking about?
  • Reply 5 of 44
    longfanglongfang Posts: 452member
    Seems like Photoshop is on the list cause it still has some PPC code in there.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Ironically Flash Player 11 Beta runs awesomely.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    jakevin.jakevin. Posts: 71member
    Will Office for Mac be updated to feature Lion's auto-save, resume and full-screen options in the near future? And other third-party apps... Thoughts?
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakevin. View Post

Will Office for Mac be updated to feature Lion's auto-save, resume and full-screen options in the near future? And other third-party apps... Thoughts?

Yes... if by near future you mean five years from now.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Yes... if by near future you mean five years from now.

Really? I thought they'd just send out a free update... That sucks. I guess I can still hope...

If a new iWork comes out in the Fall then I'll probably jump ship.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    So Apple make a host of changes which negatively affect the way Adobe products work and it is Adobe's fault?

People's attitude to Adobe are so funny. Lord Steve calls them evil and all the peasants dutifully grab their pitch forks, tar, feathers and rope and set of en masse to attack them.

I remember back in the '90 when Apple was in serious danger of going under, Apple was deeply concerned for Adobe to continue to making software that ran on Macs and bent over backwards to keep them happy.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    friedmudfriedmud Posts: 165member
    I was happy when I was able to fire up Lightroom 3 immediately after the upgrade, fix up some new photos and mail them out.

As far as I can tell Lion didn't break any of my software / hardware.

I do hope that Adobe adds proper fullscreen support for Lightroom. Lightroom has always supported a fullscreen mode of it's own (and still does on Lion) but it doesn't integrate properly with Mission Control as a full-screened app. Hopefully that will change!

While we're talking about it I will note that Lightroom seems to be running better on Lion. Specifically, the multithreaded part of LR seems to be able to take better advantage of my cores. When processing a large number of photos LR is using close to 400% CPU on my quad-core i5 iMac. In 10.6 it would always hover just over 300%. It seems like there might be some multothreaded efficiency gains with Lion...
  • Reply 12 of 44
    krabbelenkrabbelen Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

So Apple make a host of changes which negatively affect the way Adobe products work and it is Adobe's fault?

People's attitude to Adobe are so funny. Lord Steve calls them evil and all the peasants dutifully grab their pitch forks, tar, feathers and rope and set of en masse to attack them.

I remember back in the '90 when Apple was in serious danger of going under, Apple was deeply concerned for Adobe to continue to making software that ran on Macs and bent over backwards to keep them happy.

So, the pride and stagnation of Adobe ever since "the '90" is Apple's fault? lol.

Whether or not Apple "needed" Adobe in 1990 is not the point... whatever marketshare Macs had or now have, Adobe has historically made more than 50% of its revenues from Apple users (at the beginning it was much higher, and in fact Apple "made" Adobe at least as much as Adobe helped Apple out).

Simple question: how much time and effort does Adobe take on its Mac development? Very little by all accounts. By all accounts, their Mac development has long taken a back seat to Windows development, and the UI, etc. have increasingly reflected Windows UI conventions (and the chaos that comes with that).

That's Adobe's decision. But does Apple have to cater to them and hold back the forward progress of its own technologies on Adobe's account? When other developers are perfectly capable of using the APIs published months ago?

I have CS1, and have not gotten anything from Adobe since. I will not buy anything else. I love Pixelmator even if it doesn't do absolutely everything PS does. Pixelmator had like a million downloads the weekend it went on the App Store. That should tell you and Adobe something.

I am going to install Lion today. If CS1 doesn't work, heigh-ho, no great loss. I may keep Snow Leopard around on my secondary Mac for a little while longer just for kicks. But if I really like Lion half as much as I think I will, goodbye apps that can't keep up.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 698member
    That would be the part where they had the same heads-up about using Xcode, ignored it, and got caught flat-footed for a year unable to compile for Intel.

Quote:

• Reply 14 of 44
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Did a clean install and I won't install Flash Player until there is a stable version and I start to miss it. Haven't hit a site yet that absolutely needed it (Youtube works, Vimeo works). If I find one that doesn't I will just use a different user agent for now.

I can imagine a lot of people won't notice that it is not installed by now.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:

Really? I thought they'd just send out a free update... That sucks. I guess I can still hope...

If a new iWork comes out in the Fall then I'll probably jump ship.

Was a joke.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:

Its really no different in the Windows camp, the OS is updated, developers have months to adapt, test, then the release. I think this is more that they have had months, then release a statement implying that Apple caused all there troubles, instead of releasing actual work.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Was a joke.

Oh, I get that you were exaggerating... But will it really take Microsoft more than a few weeks?!
  • Reply 18 of 44
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Adobe flash has never worked good on Mac.

Lion has made it worse.

instead of 100% cpu time.

Now I have 150-200% cpu time.

Instead of 1 I7 2.66ghz core occupied by flash

2 cores is occupied by flash.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:

Oh, I get that you were exaggerating... But will it really take Microsoft more than a few weeks?!

Probably, considering they've had Lion for over a year.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    Oh, the poor dears! Imagine waking up on Wednesday and finding out that a whole new version of Lion just came out! They must have been so surprised. You'd think that Apple would have a beta program or something so that developers could prepare in advance. We all know how good their crack (quack?) programmers are, producing quality programs that conform to operating-system conventions. They also produce great game software, such as Dreamweaver—press a key and you get to play Where's Waldo with the cursor. They give the user so much choice! They have about six different ways of being non-compliant with the keyboard.

Poor Adobe. Now they have to pick and choose among the standard features of the operating system to figure out which ones they have the time and condescension to support. Their OS-compliant competition is leaving them to eat dust. No wonder Adobe leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

That reminds me. Someone ought to go break the news to Microsoft, too.