13MBA or 15MBP???

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm shopping for a new laptop. I started with a 13" Macbook, upgraded to a 15" MBP which I have now. My lil' bro wants to buy my MBP for college which means I get a new machine. I really don't NEED the power of the MBP. I mostly use it for internet/netflix/music/word processing etc. I really don't have time for gaming. I do my labor intesive work (videos/photos) on my quad core 27" iMac at home. The laptop is for when I'm working on the sofa, and for monthly work related travel trips- which is why I even need a laptop in the first place. Now with the remote screen function of Lion, I can tap into that extra processing power of the iMac from across the house which is really cool.

So the new MBA seems perfect for what I want to do, and with the SSD, I'm pretty sure it will be faster for my day to day uses. I really don't need the ultraportability. the MBP fits in my bag just fine. I end up usually turning off the dedicated video card for better battery life on the MBP so I don't think I'll miss it. My only drawback is the screen size. When I moved from the 13" to the 15" it was mainly for the bigger screen. I REALLY like the 15" screen on my current machine. I realize the 13 MBA has the same resolution, so I can fit the same stuff on the screen, just smaller. Anyone move down from a 15" to the MBA? Been happy with it? For the same money I can either get the base 15" MBP or the 1.8 MBA, so that's a wash pretty much.

My other thought it to upgrade the HD on the pro to a 7200 RPM drive. It's a $200 upcharge over at macmall which cancels out any discounts and makes the MBP more expensive than the MBA, but maybe would make it overall a more powerful machine combined with the quad core processor? But do I need that much computer, I'm not sure.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    rprice54rprice54 Posts: 12member
    anyone?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rprice54 View Post

anyone?

We get threads identical to this every. single. day. You'd benefit more from reading one or more of those, I'd think.

You've already made up your mind, anyway, so there's no sense in people posting more here.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We get threads identical to this every. single. day. You'd benefit more from reading one or more of those, I'd think.

You've already made up your mind, anyway, so there's no sense in people posting more here.

I did look, can't find anyone comparing the 15" to the MBA screen. I did find a thread about a hypothetical 15" MBA which would be nice.

I figured someone around here has probably owned both at some point and may have some insight. Thanks. for. the. help...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

I did look, can't find anyone comparing the 15" to the MBA screen. I did find a thread about a hypothetical 15" MBA which would be nice.

MacBook Pro screens used to be quite substandard, but the quality has improved dramatically recently.

The best thing you could do is go to an Apple Store or Best Buy where you CAN see them side by side, though I think Apple uses the same quality panels for both now.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Hey, I hear you, i too have and love my macbook pro, but seeing the specs and stats of the macbook air, damn it is perfect.

For what you are talking about, I would totally recommend the macbook air for you. Its so nifty if can even play games (although some better on lower settings) but it can hang, although you do not play intensive games, at least you know it packs a punch.

If your little brother wants to buy 2 MBP for college let me know so I can sell mine as well. I just got a job and no longer require such a powerful machine since I have one provided. I just need something portable.

Also the macbook air SSD would run circles around your 7200RPM hard drive. I have a 7200RPM on my mac book pro (and 8GB of RAM; ALL OUT POWER!) the drive is faster but it will eat more power and lower your battery life
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I went down to Best Buy and finally got my hands on one.

The MBA is crazy fast. The demo didn't have any media on it so I really couldn't do anything other than surf the web. But I launched every app I could find, full screened as many as I could and I couldn't get it to bog down until I tried to view a 1080p trailer online, but I couldn't say if that was from a poor Internet connection or the Air.

The full screen apps help compensate for the smaller screen. The higher pixel density certainly made everything crisp and sharp. I was ready to jump on it, but figured I would try the quad core MBP out as well. It's no slouch either, and the screen feels huge side by side, but I started to notice the text wasn't as sharp with the larger pixels. It's like the difference between the iPhone 4 screen compared to other models.

I actually like typing on the Air better. It feels more like my iMac Bluetooth keyboard. A gentle slant, and my wrists rest on the desk and not the laptop itself (I have big hands).

At the end of the day, either Machine is a screamer, I really can't go wrong. I went with the maxed out Air. It's more comfy to type on, the higher pixel density and full screen apps make up for the smaller screen.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

The full screen apps help compensate for the smaller screen. The higher pixel density certainly made everything crisp and sharp. I was ready to jump on it, but figured I would try the quad core MBP out as well. It's no slouch either, and the screen feels huge side by side, but I started to notice the text wasn't as sharp with the larger pixels. It's like the difference between the iPhone 4 screen compared to other models.

Which one is the one with the nicer screen? that shows the text sharper? The Air or the Pro?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by accessoriesguy View Post

Which one is the one with the nicer screen? that shows the text sharper? The Air or the Pro?

I felt like the Air had sharper text. Smaller pixels. We'll see once I get to spend more time with it. Was supposed to be delivered tomorrow, but got hung up in Customs in Memphis. Now it's just been sitting there for two days...
  • Reply 9 of 9
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:

Now with the remote screen function of Lion, I can tap into that extra processing power of the iMac from across the house which is really cool.

You already could with FREE Teamviewer. Not just from across the room, but from anywhere in the world. And not just from an MBP or an MBA, but also from iPads, iPhones*, Android phones*, Android tablets, and even from Windows and Linux machines...

*obviously the teensie weensie phone screens are a major PITA. But it does work when you're in a pinch.