My car got smashed by a drunk driver

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
(Edit: Removed)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    How's your neck? Or the rest of you, really. We were hit from behind once (not drunk, just idiotic and on a cell phone; the conditions being unrelated) and whiplash can be somewhat painful.

Quote:

Obviously they bailed before the cops came, but they left in another car so I got the plates and their contact details before they left.

Drunks. Not the craftiest of criminals.

Quote:

While I feel I am highly unlikely to be at fault, can anyone figure out my blood acohol level?

That depends on not only the contents of the drinks, but your weight and body composition (organs to muscle to fat ratio), as well, I believe.

Though I don't really think it matters if you were drunk... You were obeying traffic laws, you were safely stopped (I assume), and they hit you.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
  • Reply 3 of 9
  • Reply 4 of 9
  • Reply 5 of 9
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

My car hit from the back. I stopped at a red light. A little suddenly because the car in front of me ran the red light. This was 500m from the club we were all leaving at 2am in the morning. There was a free flow of alcohol served during the event.

The car that hit me from behind. Driver seemed okay at first, but he and another passenger seemed drunk and the shock set in after a while. Obviously they bailed before the cops came, but they left in another car so I got the plates and their contact details before they left.

The last picture is interesting for several reasons:

Notice that if I stopped at the limit line (the white line... which I did from looking at the skid marks later) and got rear-ended, see how far my in front my car got pushed. Also, even after the accident has happened notice the black car also running the red light. Welcome to South East Asia.

I know I could have braked quite suddenly for the red light because the car in front of me ran the light, and I stopped. But the force of the impact as evidenced by the damage and the amount of distance my car got pushed in front shows you how fast the guy behind me was and how reckless/drunk he was.

I am fine, but just been a process of getting my parents to come over, sorting out towing, insurance police reports and what nots. It's 6am now, time to recuperate on a Sunday, have to go back to work on Monday, luckily I take the train.

Sympathy welcome and appreciated but more importantly comments welcome.

For the record from 11pm to 2am I myself had two beers, two cokes and two mineral waters, in that order. While I feel I am highly unlikely to be at fault, can anyone figure out my blood acohol level? Would it have been signifcant or played any part in this? I'm curious.

By Australian standards your blood alcohol is allowable to 0.05%.

The two beer cans I had were 5% alcohol no more in size than 12 U.S. fl oz or 355 ml. I'm 79kg.

Looking up the chart in my slightly distressed state I roughly calculate I'd be within the allowable limit for Australia.

In Malaysia, where this happened, the allowable BAC is up to 0.08%...

Peace out see you when I wake up. Again, no worries, I should be fine. Somewhat like a go cart crash. The guy that hit into me, maybe some minor injuries, would be unlucky if anything major.

The moment very soon after I braked I heard him brake and saw him in my rear view mirror. At that very point, I knew, ALL HANDS BRACE FOR IMPACT. I knew I wouldn't die because he was already braking before he hit me, but knew my car would be out of action for a while. A flicker ran through my mind "OMG MY PARENTS ARE GOING TO KILL ME" but generally it wasn't my fault, but possible though difficult to avoid.

The most important thing is you did not get seriously hurt.Screw the car you count!
  • Reply 6 of 9
  • Reply 7 of 9
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Was resting again this evening. I'm now noticing that the sides of my neck muscles feel a bit stiff.

The last time I got rear ended (not as bad as you did, though!) I got a deep tissue massage the next day and it REALLY helped with the stiffness and soreness.

I hope you don't get to feeling worse in the next couple of days - sometimes trauma like that can take a bit to develop.
  • Reply 8 of 9
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Mods, please delete this thread. Not that I'm in the wrong but I don't want the guy that hit me finding this and using it in any way to dispute insurance, etc. Thanks.