Lion won't let me install WinXP via Bootcamp

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014

Any workarounds? This is lame and ironic.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Lion no longer supports XP, I believe.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Yeah, XP is not supported in Lion on all new MacBooks and Macbook Airs.

Just use VMWare Fusion, Parallels or Virtualbox.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I believe it is Bootcamp that is preventing you from installing XP, not Lion.

I am still using the original bootcamp that came with Snow Leopard and ignored all bootcamp updates from Apple.

I am still running XP even though I have upgraded to Lion.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JHWeaver View Post

I believe it is Bootcamp that is preventing you from installing XP, not Lion.

No, it's both.

Quote:

I am still using the original bootcamp that came with Snow Leopard and ignored all bootcamp updates from Apple.

That's idiotic. The drivers got MUCH better. Also, if you're running Lion, you're not running that version of Boot Camp anymore.

Quote:

I am still running XP even though I have upgraded to Lion.

Because you ALREADY HAD THE PARTITION. He's trying to make a brand new one, which can't be done in Lion anymore.

If you were to try to make a new one, it wouldn't let you.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because you ALREADY HAD THE PARTITION. He's trying to make a brand new one, which can't be done in Lion anymore.

It would let you make the partition but would wait for a Windows 7 disc at the install stage. If you reboot, hold alt and put in an XP disc, it should let you install it. On a new machine, the drivers would be missing though and it may not recognise XP as a suitable boot disc.

It can be a nuisance having to get a new OS but it's ultimately for the best.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

The BootCamp Assistant can be still be used to create a BootCamp Partition, if no other BootCamp Partitions exist. It creates a FAT32 partition just like it did in Snow Leopard. You can install directly to that FAT32 partition, or reformat it as NTFS using the Windows installer.

If a Bootcamp Partition already exists you would have to have to use the Bootcamp Assistant to rejoin the Partitions and start over.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karthakon View Post

The BootCamp Assistant can be still be used to create a BootCamp Partition, if no other BootCamp Partitions exist. It creates a FAT32 partition just like it did in Snow Leopard. You can install directly to that FAT32 partition, or reformat it as NTFS using the Windows installer.

If a Bootcamp Partition already exists you would have to have to use the Bootcamp Assistant to rejoin the Partitions and start over.

Well this is a terrible idea by Apple, many Mac users need a Boot Camp XP on their Mac to run specific things. I'm glad since my partition already exists I'm fine. I hope Lion won't butch my cool setup I have where I put XP and Win 7 on the same partition (when Windows boots it asks me which one I want to run, and they appear as two partitions but both run under Boot Camp).
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Well this is a terrible idea by Apple, many Mac users need a Boot Camp XP on their Mac to run specific things.

And everyone who wants XP already has it on partitions.

Quote:

I'm glad since my partition already exists I'm fine.

Like you.

For everyone else on the planet, Apple is telling you that it might not be a good idea to run an operating system from A DECADE AGO. Windows Seven is actually not bad. Vista was an alpha release of Seven.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

I hope Lion won't butch my cool setup I have where I put XP and Win 7 on the same partition (when Windows boots it asks me which one I want to run, and they appear as two partitions but both run under Boot Camp).

I'm not sure how you set this up to appear as one Partition in OSX but two Partitions in WIndows, but I'm willing to bet installing Lion will screw it up.

The reason is that BootCamp creates a Hybrid MBR using the GPT partition table as a guide. In Snow Leopard the Hybrid MBR would contain 2 Partitions plus BootCamp (the EFI System Partition, Macintosh HD, and the BOOTCAMP Partition). When you install Lion it will add a Recovery Partition, so the Hybrid MBR will contain 3 partitions plus BootCamp (EFI System Partition, Macintosh HD, Recovery HD, and Bootcamp).

One of the limitations of a MBR Partition table is that it can only contain 4 Primary Partitions.

If you Boot into Windows and go to Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management, and look at your disk it's probably cut into 4 Partitions.

If it is and you attempt to upgrade Snow Leopard to Lion, it either won't work, or it will render you unable to boot one or both of your Windows installs.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MajorMatt View Post

Any workarounds? This is lame and ironic.

Here's the workaround. You will need a windows 7 and a Snow Leopard disc even though you will not be using it. Here are the steps - Read them before you do them. This procedure works will all laptops compatible with BootCamp 3.X

Step 1 - Boot into OS X LION

Step 2 - Insert Windows 7 disc

Step 3 - Run Boot Camp and make your Windows Partition the size you want and complete the wizard. It says to start the Windows 7 installer, but we will be working around this.

Step 4 - The Mac will reboot - right after the chime, hold down the 'Option' button until you see the screen showing Machintosh HD and the Windows Disc.

Step 5 - Use the arrow key to highlight the Windows CD, then press the eject key.

Step 6 - Insert the Windows XP CD

Step 7 - Install Windows XP

Step 8 - Install Bootcamp Drivers from your SnowLeopard DVD from inside windows.

Step 9 - Run Apple Software Updates in Windows a couple of times. This should get you to the latest Boot Camp drivers that work with your mac.

Step 10 - Do your windows updates and install Microsoft Security Essentials - just to be safe

Step 11 - Enjoy a lighter weight windows that boot much faster.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    This worked perfectly for me.

I now have a lean mean XP machine via bootcamp on OSX Lion. I have no use for Windows 7 as all I needed was a platform for AutoCad and Revit. It boots in seconds and the vast majority the processing resources go to the applications as opposed to the OS. (Revit is a processing monster)...

I had previously used VirtualBox, but it was too damn slow for my CAD and rendering work.

Thanks!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by harperfamily007 View Post

Here's the workaround. You will need a windows 7 and a Snow Leopard disc even though you will not be using it. Here are the steps - Read them before you do them. This procedure works will all laptops compatible with BootCamp 3.X

Step 1 - Boot into OS X LION

Step 2 - Insert Windows 7 disc

Step 3 - Run Boot Camp and make your Windows Partition the size you want and complete the wizard. It says to start the Windows 7 installer, but we will be working around this.

Step 4 - The Mac will reboot - right after the chime, hold down the 'Option' button until you see the screen showing Machintosh HD and the Windows Disc.

Step 5 - Use the arrow key to highlight the Windows CD, then press the eject key.

Step 6 - Insert the Windows XP CD

Step 7 - Install Windows XP

Step 8 - Install Bootcamp Drivers from your SnowLeopard DVD from inside windows.

Step 9 - Run Apple Software Updates in Windows a couple of times. This should get you to the latest Boot Camp drivers that work with your mac.

Step 10 - Do your windows updates and install Microsoft Security Essentials - just to be safe

Step 11 - Enjoy a lighter weight windows that boot much faster.

• Reply 12 of 18
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Tallest there are lots of scientific apps that will not run in Win 7 and require XP.

Eventually I will install Lion. Right now this is my main hurdle. I want my Win 7 and XP which are both on Boot Camp to stay working. I use them in VMWare but also in Boot Camp, both. I forget what I did exactly but last summer I'd figured it out. It involved not only rEFIt but fiddling with the boot record for Win 7 with Easy BCD or some other app that required careful setup.

XP is not going anywhere. It'll be around for a long time. Scientific apps are updated by the decade. And I need real XP on Boot Camp when I need it. Not "XP Compatibility mode".

harperfamily007 thanks for the info.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Tallest there are lots of scientific apps that will not run in Win 7 and require XP.

I've heard that before. Can't remember when, though. Which are they? And why don't they run? Do they require proprietary hardware that Macs can't access or is it a soft limitation where they purposely look for Apple's hardware combinations?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    scapulascapula Posts: 1member

Ridonculous

Ridonculous

For the damned radiologist, we have to resort to effin XP, because the effin radiology programs work only in XP.....talk about dumbing down of the medical field. Ofcourse there is no mac OS support for any of the radiology programs/viewers ( methodist hospital/UGH in Houston- Texas, to be specific). Its a pain that these damned idiotic programs won't run on vista or 7 either....what a load of crap. So since the hospitals won't change the programs they use we are stuck with this Xp nonsense.

Now, according to the solution mentioned above , i wonder if the rad programs will work.

• Reply 15 of 18

you don't need bootcamp to install windows xp in lion.

you need to go to disk utility and there you will find for example (thoshiba hdd ) and under it you find macintosh hd but you need the one above.

when you click on it you see an tab partitions press the + button and the disk will split in 2

now give the size of the second disk i used 60 gb for my linux mint install and it works perfectly i also tested it wit an bootable windows xp pro and it also gives the option of the second partition i made and it mentions it 60gb so install is possible after create that partition in fat32 or ntfs then format it and enjoy you're windows or linux installation it works great.

you can search for the bootcamp drivers you need to download bootcamp or have an older macosx install dvd for the proper drivers.

maybe the bootcamp update can couse trouble because windows xp isn't supported anymore. good luck

• Reply 16 of 18

There are tons of apps that just don't run under Win7 or Vista that run perfectly well under WinXP. 

I work on outdoor public warning sirens, and the factory software that we use to program the controller boards can only be run in WinXP. We've tried using Win Vista and Win7, but the apps just crash when trying to write to the siren's program chips. 

I also program a lot of Motorola radios to work with the sirens and same thing. Motorola is no longer supporting these 15 year old radios, and I don't really feel like dropping $500 per siren (x40 sirens) just to update the radio and software to work with Win7. It's just not in the budget. 

• Reply 17 of 18
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    pimpbot wrote: »
    There are tons of apps that just don't run under Win7 or Vista that run perfectly well under WinXP. 

I work on outdoor public warning sirens, and the factory software that we use to program the controller boards can only be run in WinXP. We've tried using Win Vista and Win7, but the apps just crash when trying to write to the siren's program chips. 

I also program a lot of Motorola radios to work with the sirens and same thing. Motorola is no longer supporting these 15 year old radios, and I don't really feel like dropping $500 per siren (x40 sirens) just to update the radio and software to work with Win7. It's just not in the budget. 

Does the hardware you are writing to require a driver? If so, have you tried installing the driver in compatibility mode:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/80cae5ee-dc98-4a2f-8284-a1ab826059b7/

If it's the software that's the problem, check if running it in compatibility mode works. If neither work, try XP running in a virtual machine like VMWare as you can connect hardware devices to them.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    jowwyjowwy Posts: 1member

To install xp on Lion or Mountain Lion this is what you do:

You need to have ready a working windows 7 disc (burned/official/whatever)

You need to have rady a working windows xp disc (so both need to be bootable)

1. Open Bootcamp

2. Deselect download drivers (only leaving install windows 7)

3. Pop in W7 disc and click on next

4. Press install

5. Let disc partition (I used 100 GB because I wanted to play games)

6. Before the mac restarts remove w7 disc from tray and insert xp

7. Let mac boot up

8 Install xp

Allthewinz