Natural Scrolling with External Mouse in Lion

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
If you are using an external mouse's scroll-wheel, instead of the built-in trackpad, the natural scrolling just make even less sense, because you will completely lose the sense of "grabbing" like when you scroll on an iPad/iPhone. With the mouse, you actually scroll the scroll bar, which in turn move the page, and it fits the sense; the natural scrolling assumes that the page is "grabbed" by you and move while you scroll, but it just doesn't feel that way when you use an external mouse. I think Apple should make options seperately for trackpad and external mouse.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Uh, you realize they ARE completely separate, have nothing to do with one another, and can be set independently, right?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh, you realize they ARE completely separate, have nothing to do with one another, and can be set independently, right?

Uh, you realize you don't know what you're talking about and might have bothered to try those settings yourself before writing a condescending and useless reply, right?

There ARE two different settings related to these things, but they are linked, such that changing one changes the other at the moment. So, in effect, there is exactly one setting. sapience is correct; while the scroll direction for the trackpad might be more "natural" now, scrolling with wheels is counter-intuitive and absolutely backward from all of the millions of other computers that have this type of mouse.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdfasdf View Post

Uh, you realize you don't know what you're talking about and might have bothered to try those settings yourself before writing a condescending and useless reply, right?

There ARE two different settings related to these things, but they are linked, such that changing one changes the other at the moment. So, in effect, there is exactly one setting. sapience is correct; while the scroll direction for the trackpad might be more "natural" now, scrolling with wheels is counter-intuitive and absolutely backward from all of the millions of other computers that have this type of mouse.

That's exactly what's I was talking about
  • Reply 4 of 6
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdfasdf View Post

^--- this.

I really tried to get used to the backwards scrolling... not for me.

I have a magic trackpad now, and set that to the Lion natural scrolling, mouse stays the normal scrolling. You can set it per device, which is pretty cool.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I set my trackpad and my external mouse to what's "natural scrolling" to me. I.E. the way it was before Lion. \
  • Reply 6 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    That said, I like how they treat scrollbars in Lion. So intelligent and elegant.

Overall Apple did some pretty radical stuff in Lion but at the end of the day it all makes using Windows7 feel just... Old.

I sympathise with those having transition woes and hope 10.7.1 and 10.7.2 address those issues ASAP and I'm sure Apple's receiving tons of feedback right now.