Apple's new iPad 2 ad sneaks in Lion reference

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Sunday released a new ad for the iPad 2 containing a subtle reference to the newly-released Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

The ad has been posted to the iPad 2 page on the company's website, as well as its official YouTube account. Entitled "We'll Always," the commercial highlights the way the iPad 2 lets users experience in new ways things they've always done and will never stop doing.

"We'll never stop sharing our memories. Or getting lost in a good book. We'll always cook dinner and cheer for our favorite team. We'll still go to meetings, make home movies and learn new things, but how we do all this will never be the same."

The spot has quickly drawn attention because it contains an oblique reference to Mac OS X Lion. During the "learn new things" section of the ad, a child is shown writing the word "Lion" next to a picture of a lion. Of course, the lion reference could be viewed as mere coincidence, but given the company's tight control, it's likely that the allusion is intentional.

Apple has just recently stabilized inventory of the iPad in the U.S., bringing estimated shipping times to 1-3 business days, down from lead times that measured in weeks for the couple months after the device's launch. The touchscreen tablet continues to be on a phenomenal growth curve, with Apple announcing last week that it had sold 9.25 million iPad units in the June quarter.

Meanwhile, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion arrived on the Mac App Store last Wednesday. The $29.99 upgrade has seen early success, attracting over one million downloads in its first day of availability.

Lion and the iPad share a special connection, as Apple has taken features from the iOS and the iPad and brought them back to the Mac by way of Lion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    tikimantikiman Posts: 68member
    And even sadder that you thought it was worth copying from Mac Rumors.
  • Reply 2 of 29

"We'll never stop sharing our memories. Or getting lost in a good book. We'll always cook dinner and cheer for our favorite team. We'll still go to meetings, make home movies and learn new things, but how we do all this will never be the same."

I'm sorry, but this new iPad ad has a creepy undertone to it with that last statement...
  • Reply 3 of 29
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Anyone know what that alphabet writing app for kids is?
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Check this iTunes link often...

As of today, not updated to include the latest ad. I would like to know too so if anybody else got it installed, I'll check back this post again in a few days
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Midnight Wolf View Post

I'm sorry, but this new iPad ad has a creepy undertone to it with that last statement...

Huh? Sure......
  • Reply 6 of 29
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tikiman View Post

And even sadder that you thought it was worth copying from Mac Rumors.

Really? Then let's be the first to say they take stories from each other and end the battle of duh.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    sailorpaulsailorpaul Posts: 322member
    So does the "Now" commercial for iPad 2. That's a puddy-tat with a mane up in those stars at the end of the commercial.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,141member
    Quote:

Ever read "Nineteen Eighty Four"? "I don't think that word means what you think it means".
  • Reply 9 of 29
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Yeah thats Alphabet Fun. Simple but very good app, my 3 year old has wasted many hours with it (probably not such a waste actually, since she knows the alphabet verbally and can write most of the letters). Pretty sure I could not do that at her age.

I have to say these edutainment apps have been great. My kid is engaged and wants to run what are essentially learning apps with the iPad, but to her they are fun games and she doesn't know any different. And that's really the best kind of learning, when you're having fun doing it.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    modemode Posts: 163member
    I expect stocks will soar tomorrow on this news...
  • Reply 11 of 29
    This is such a non-news story it's not funny.

The "lion" screen is one of the exercises from the app, see the first screen-shot: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/alpha...364729939?mt=8

Apple didn't put this into the app, the app author did. I highly doubt it's a plug for OS X Lion, as there are many other animals in the app, but if it happens to be, it wasn't Apple's doing.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    The Photo Cookbook app looks great. My wife might just want an iPad for that.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    jakevin.jakevin. Posts: 71member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rockstheparty View Post

This is such a non-news story it's not funny.

The "lion" screen is one of the exercises from the app, see the first screen-shot: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/alpha...364729939?mt=8

Apple didn't put this into the app, the app author did. I highly doubt it's a plug for OS X Lion, as there are many other animals in the app, but if it happens to be, it wasn't Apple's doing.

Don't be so naive. Apple chose THAT app and THAT particular screenshot to make a tongue-in-cheek reference to Lion and it even says "learn new things" on the V/O as it is shown. Marketing execs and advertisers are VERY SMART people who think about every single shot and inclusion especially in marketing for a company as big as Apple.

It's subtle but it's there and it's there for a reason.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakevin. View Post

Don't be so naive. Apple chose THAT app and THAT particular screenshot to make a tongue-in-cheek reference to Lion and it even says "learn new things" on the V/O as it is shown. Marketing execs and advertisers are VERY SMART people who think about every single shot and inclusion especially in marketing for a company as big as Apple.

It's subtle but it's there and it's there for a reason.

I agree. Obvious beyond question. \
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Quote:

You and the original author of this article must have very active immaginations. Conspiracy theory much? I think what most of us read into it was that we are now in a digital age. How the F___ you got a reference to 1984 who knows? "A seeker seeks and a finder finds".

I don't get involved with criticizing AI often, but this did not merit reprinting.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    But, did you notice the baseball game?

It was the Boston RED SOX vs the Detroit TIGERS. Very intriguing, the nod to an older version of Mac OS X, but keep in mind that Detroit's NFL team is the LIONS (ya see what they did there?)

I'm wondering if the RED SOX is somehow an allusion to Red Hat, a strain of Linux? Maybe it is a subtle slap at Android, but the weird thing is that Boston is killing Detroit in the video. I'll bet someone at Apple is going to lose his job over picking such an unfortunate clip.

I need to get a life
  • Reply 17 of 29
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,460member
    Wow Amazing!!!!!
  • Reply 18 of 29
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Ooooookaaaay theeeeen....
  • Reply 19 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

No. No, it doesn't.

• Reply 20 of 29
    I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but the baseball game featured the Detroit TIGERS...