Android?s Dirty Secret: Shipping Numbers Are Strong But Returns Are 30-40%

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
saw this on techcrunch, i thought it was interesting.

Quote:

the return rate on some Android devices is between 30 and 40 percent, in comparison to the iPhone 4′s 1.7% return rate as of Antennagate in 2010.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/26/and...rns-are-30-40/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    And that 1.7% isn't just because of "Antennagate" (didn't happen), it's also all other returns for all other reasons, isn't it?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    I find this article hard to believe. I kind of doubt any product sold would have such a return rate (30% to 40%). It's sociologically hard to believe that that large of a portion of buying population would return any product, let alone a cell phone which has a relatively high gate in getting something returned. Wireless retail stores are like the DMV with long wait times, but with the added pressure from the salespeople.

The only set of people I can see having such a return rate are phone bloggers and reviewers. The population at large, no way.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

I find this article hard to believe. I kind of doubt any product sold would have such a return rate (30% to 40%).

Xbox 360 has a failure rate of a little over 60%, so that's believable.

Quote:

It's sociologically hard to believe that that large of a portion of buying population would return any product, let alone a cell phone which has a relatively high gate in getting something returned.

Sure... but if it SUCKS, I can see it.

Quote:

Wireless retail stores are like the DMV with long wait times, but with the added pressure from the salespeople.

Screw 'em. I buy only what I want to buy and I return whatever I want to return.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Xbox 360 has a failure rate of a little over 60%, so that's believable.

That's failure rate. Not return rate. And I doubt it is 60%. The SquareTrade data would be more reliable than the self-selected surveys.

Quote:

Sure... but if it SUCKS, I can see it.

No way man. It really wouldn't be a "dirty secret" if return rates were that high. And user satisfaction for Android is relatively decent.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

That's failure rate. Not return rate.

So all these people are keeping their faulty, broken, now completely useless game consoles instead of returning them and taking their money elsewhere.

Does that make sense at all?

Quote:

And user satisfaction for Android is relatively decent.

I know the iPhone satisfaction is in the low 90%s, but what's Android?