Apple looking to sweeten battery life with redesigned 'jelly rolls'

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Battery life in future iPhones and MacBook Pros could be improved with Apple's concept for a new, redesigned battery containing multiple "jelly rolls" enclosed in a single pouch.

Jelly rolls, also known as Swiss rolls, are found in cylindrical, rechargeable batteries, like a typical AA, AAA or D batteries. In the design, anode and cathode material is laid down and divided by a separator, and then rolled up into a hollow cylinder.

Apple is now looking to expand on the jelly roll design, according to a new patent application discovered this week by AppleInsider. The filing, dubbed "Battery with Multiple Jelly Rolls in a Single Pouch," aims to improve the existing lithium batteries found in most electronic devices, including the iPhone, iPad and portable Macs.

The application notes that lithium-polymer batteries are convenient, because they include cells that are packaged in flexible pouches that can be tailored to fit into small portable electronic devices.

A lithium-polymer battery can achieve a packaging efficiency of between 90 percent and 95 percent if a jelly roll is enclosed in a foil pouch. Multiple pouches can be placed side by side in order to form a battery.

But to further improve the efficiency of batteries, making them smaller and even more efficient, Apple has proposed a new kind of battery cell with a set of jelly rolls found in a foil pouch, rather than just one.

Just like in a rechargeable AA, Apple's concept includes a cathode and anode divided by a separator. Conductive tabs within the battery cell would connect cathodes and anodes from the jelly rolls found in the pouches.

"The use and placement of multiple jelly rolls of different lengths and thicknesses within a pouch may allow the creation of a custom battery cell that maximizes the use of free space within a portable electronic device and provides greater capacity, packing efficiency, and/or voltage than battery cells that contain only one jelly roll per pouch," the application reads.

This kind of custom battery could be designed to specifically fit the needs of the device in which it is found. In one example, Apple describes a laptop with a battery pouch and multiple thin jelly rolls housed behind the display of a laptop computer.

"Along the same lines, jelly rolls of various thicknesses and lengths may be sealed in a pouch to create an asymmetric battery cell that fits around other components (e.g., processors, printed circuit boards (PCBs), memory, storage, etc.) inside the enclosure of a mobile phone," it states.

The application made public this week by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office was first filed by Apple on Jan. 26, 2010. The proposed invention is credited to Ramesh C. Bhardwaj, Taisup Hwang, and Richard M. Mank.

Apple's interest in improving batteries is not new. Earlier this year, a separate filing described a concept for dense lithium cells that could increase the capacity of rechargeable batteries without increasing their size.

The company has also expressed interest in building its own external battery pack that would allow for recharging when a power outlet may not be available. In one example, the company described a battery pack built into its standard charging cable for devices like an MacBook Pro or iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Let me tell you, girls, that your man ain't treating you right

Let me tell you I don't mean no wrong

I will learn you something if you listen to this song

I ain't here to try to save your soul, just want to teach you how to save your good jelly roll
  • Reply 2 of 28
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    When your man come home evil, tell you you are getting old

When your man come home evil, tell you you are getting old

That's a true sign he's got someone else bakin' his jelly roll
  • Reply 3 of 28
    naboozlenaboozle Posts: 213member
    How in the world is this eligible for a patent? You're going to put 2 jelly beans in a bag instead of 1? It's not inherently obvious that you could do this?
  • Reply 4 of 28
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

How in the world is this eligible for a patent? You're going to put 2 jelly beans in a bag instead of 1? It's not inherently obvious that you could do this?

Read the full patent application, as there is more to it than just stuffing 2 in 1
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Jelly Rolls. Sweet.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    All other phone / laptop makers...

*Removes sunglasses*

... u jelly?
  • Reply 7 of 28
    There's a Homer Simpson joke in here somewhere...
  • Reply 8 of 28
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I?m surprised Apple isn?t already doing this.

And I am SO HUNGRY NOW!
  • Reply 9 of 28
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Plus I have to imagine it has been done before. Even if it hasn't it is pretty obvious from the design of lithium batteries that they can be packaged to fit almost anywhere.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

Read the full patent application, as there is more to it than just stuffing 2 in 1

Don't have time to fully analyze it, but just browsing it seems full of standard battery constructs -- cathodes, anodes, separators,tabs,seals,pouches...

Since you've noticed the innovation, can you summarize what it is?
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Well this is always good news. Increasing the battery life of the macbooks and ipods, is always welcomed. Better battery life also allows apple to put in higher clock speed processors.

Rather than allowing a laptop to have 15 hour battery life, apple would put in a more powerful processor that would create only 10 hour battery life, but you would get improved performance. Which is always a positive trade off.

I only hope that they release their latest laptop battery designs on their next available devices and don't make us wait too long!
  • Reply 12 of 28
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

You have vastly oversimplified the situation, using vastly incomplete information. Read the patent application.

Currently Apple has only applied for a patent on the claims described in their application. The application has been published by the US PTO 18 months after filing as required by law. The PTO has yet to make a determination as to whether any of the claims in the application will be allowed.

If any of the claims are allowed by the PTO, prior art (existing prior to the filing date of Jan. 26, 2010) held privately by any company would allow said company to utilize the method(s) without a license. Meanwhile, the patent holder maintains all other rights to the invention for a limited time, in exchange for their having shared their ideas with the public. That pretty much obliterates the argument that, if the claims are thought by lay persons to be obvious, someone must have thought of them before, even if they hadn't to date published their work or put it into practice for the public good.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    Sure we will hear that Samsung has already thought of this.

Dang you Apple! You copy everything! (NOT)
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:

Don't have time to fully analyze it, but just browsing it seems full of standard battery constructs -- cathodes, anodes, separators,tabs,seals,pouches...

Since you've noticed the innovation, can you summarize what it is?

Just a quick perusal of the claims (and it's only the claims that matter) shows that the "jelly rolls" are not necessarily of the same size, which seems unusual. The rolls are also not necessarily packed side-by-side, which is unusual. The cathodes and anodes are not necessarily connected to one another inside, which is unusual.

That's just for starters! And this was all evident to begin with just from viewing the images posted on AI.

BTW, are you on Google's legal team?
  • Reply 15 of 28
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    When Apple announced the first MacBook Pros with non-removable batteries, one of the executives mentioned that the battery had "smart charging" of individual cells within it. Now that announcement makes sense. Smaller rolls might take less time to charge than larger ones, and the power management firmware can detect that. Nice.

Now Apple can fit the battery around the circuit board and vice versa. The battery is just another component to be optimized, not a monolith that the other components need to fit around.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Apple can be really impressive with how they invent and change existing products. I can't think of many smartphone or computer makers who would do much more than buy off the shelf components and the only engineering they do is hooking them up (I don't claim to have a complete understanding of that, and I don't mean to denounce other companies, but Apple has done things like come up with interesting battery placement for the Macbook Air and buying a whole chip designer so they could design and customize their own ARM chips to their needs. Another company's phone would have standard parts and a standard rectangular battery in a very big and/or very thick and/or very poor battery life device.)

Of course one of the best ways to improve battery life is to come up with innovative shapes and packaging methods like this to maximize your battery capacity within the same device size.

Apple's use of non-user replaceable batteries has been controversial, but they've done it to maximize the battery life and have come up with really interesting packaging methods for batteries, like what the Macbook Air uses.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

When Apple announced the first MacBook Pros with non-removable batteries, one of the executives mentioned that the battery had "smart charging" of individual cells within it. Now that announcement makes sense. Smaller rolls might take less time to charge than larger ones, and the power management firmware can detect that. Nice.

Now Apple can fit the battery around the circuit board and vice versa. The battery is just another component to be optimized, not a monolith that the other components need to fit around.

Interesting. I never really caught that information.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

You have vastly oversimplified the situation, using vastly incomplete information. Read the patent application.

Currently Apple has only applied for a patent on the claims described in their application. The application has been published by the US PTO 18 months after filing as required by law. The PTO has yet to make a determination as to whether any of the claims in the application will be allowed.

If any of the claims are allowed by the PTO, prior art (existing prior to the filing date of Jan. 26, 2010) held privately by any company would allow said company to utilize the method(s) without a license. Meanwhile, the patent holder maintains all other rights to the invention for a limited time, in exchange for their having shared their ideas with the public. That pretty much obliterates the argument that, if the claims are thought by lay persons to be obvious, someone must have thought of them before, even if they hadn't to date published their work or put it into practice for the public good.

Sorry to have insulted your vast intellect with my lay questions.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    hunabkuhunabku Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Smaller rolls might take less time to charge than larger ones, and the power management firmware can detect that. Nice.

Not sure how that would affect how long of a charge you would get versus one single battery of the same capacity. Can see however how that might affect the overall longevity (read years of life) of the jelly roll design by intelligently conditioning by topping off and draining specific ones.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:

Sorry to have insulted your vast intellect with my lay questions.

Huh? If I was at all offended, it was my sensibilities, by an apparent rush to judgment.

I am not a lawyer.