Purported 'iPhone 5' cases proliferate in China

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Chinese case makers have begun distributing cases allegedly for Apple's next-generation iPhone, with one report calling the cases "everywhere in China."

Earlier this week a schematic emerged claiming to show Apple's new design for the so-called iPhone 5 M.I.C Gadget now reports that the alleged iPhone 5 cases are "everywhere in China now."

One vendor is selling the silicon cases on Chinese trade site Alibaba.com for 2CNY ($0.31) each with a minimum order of 500 pieces. Similar to the images published earlier this week, the cases feature curved sides and locate the vibrate switch on the opposite side of last year's iPhone 4 design.

The case designs contradict some pre-existing rumors regarding Apple's next-generation smartphone. In May, parts (1, 2) allegedly for the fifth-generation iPhone suggested that Apple would move the camera flash away from the rear-camera. But, the cases being distributed in China place the flash component in the same location.

A number of reports had also suggested that the next iPhone would contain only "slight modifications" from the iPhone 4, with some calling the next device the "iPhone 4GS."

Chinese case manufacturers have in the past been the source of leaks of upcoming Apple products, such as the iPad 2. Last year, Foxconn reportedly became suspicious of the accuracy of leaked cases for the then-unreleased second-generation iPad and reported the issue to local police.

Last December, three Foxconn employees were arrested for allegedly leaking the design of the iPad 2 to accessory companies in China. This June, a court sentenced two former Foxconn employees and a manager at an accessories manufacturer and to prison terms. Court documents show that the employees were paid 20,000CNY ($3107) to provide advance digital images of the touchscreen tablet.

Apple is expected to introduce the next-generation iPhone this fall, with recent rumors pegging the launch for mid-September. The device is believed to include the new A5 processor, a dual-mode baseband chip and an 8-megapixel camera.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member
    I had been very opposed to a larger phone, but then realized my right pocket doesn't need to hold anything else.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    What's the cutout next to the camera opening for on the side of the phone?
  • Reply 3 of 31
    I mean, who would have thunk to use the Chinese obsession with image and status through "leaking" these iPhone 5 cases into the Chinese markets? You couldn't get better promotional bang for your buck! Now everyone with an iPhone 5 case in China is scratching their heads and wondering "What is the actual guts of this case really like?" They'll likely pay ANYTHING to buy the real thing. I knew that laughing Cheshire cat smile on Jobs in the photo was basically saying that.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    What is the point of Apple expending many months of engineering effort to make the iPhone a few mil thinner, and of a tasteful design, if people just put a big thick Play Doh coloured case on it?
  • Reply 5 of 31
    omoomo Posts: 31member
    My guess:

This isn't the iPhone 5 (or 4s). This is the "future product transition" Opponheimer alluded to inthe latest Quarterly call.

They're transitioning the iPod Touch out of the iPod category and into the iOS category. Some other thoughts:

* it will be marketed as a new revutionary/magical device, and not an "iPad or iPhone lite" - perhaps with some sort of new iName. This also gives the device more "premium" cred than simply the latest version of an iPod touch or repurposed 3GS.

* it will be a true world device aimed at the huge market potential in china, etc, but as a new device, it will also be desirable in countries that already have iPhone, iPod touch, etc.

* purpose is all-in-one pocketable media, gaming, internet, cloud, and phone.

* slightly larger form factor (than iPhone) is better for gaming, movies, etc. The 'smaller, thinner, lighter' design trajectory will remain with the iphone line

* smaller than 7" tablet = more portable; Larger than iphone = better for some tasks & gaming, etc. A 4" retina display would look amazing!

* larger size also makes more room for more phone radios, battery, or other tech

* available in two versions (like iPad): wifi only or wifi+(global phone radios) for prepaid phone/data market; + VoIP

* with ios5, deep cloud integration, entire apple ecosystem...

* This will be the primary "global" phone/iPod device

** in US or other countries where iPhone currently exists, if you want thinner, smaller, premium smartphone, (and you have/want a traditional cell contract (ATT, Verizon, etc)) you get an iPhone.

** if you want a larger, more media focused, but still pocketabe device (with option for prepaid phone/data), you get this new device.

** doesnt directly cannibalize iPad bc they still serve two distinct purposes

* perhaps iPhone only gets minor refresh +A5 this year (like 4s, although I think they'll name it 5) so it doesn't overshadow the new device too much and can reuse many existing components and design . Also maintains some manufacturing stability/continuity and saves $$ (which theyll be spending to make as many of these new tjings as possible. Then the ip6 gets big update + LTE, etc

* Rev 1 will have A4 and maybe repurpose some 3GS and 4 parts (cameras, rocker volume button, etc) . This would save $$ (both in design and manufacturing bc the infrastructure is in place) and still leave Apple plenty of room to upgrade aspects in future years to drive more sales.

* iPhone still retains ultra premium status by getting latest A processors, maybe more ram, premium materials, etc.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Netizen View Post

I mean, who would have thunk to use the Chinese obsession with image and status through "leaking" these iPhone 5 cases into the Chinese markets? You couldn't get better promotional bang for your buck! Now everyone with an iPhone 5 case in China is scratching their heads and wondering "What is the actual guts of this case really like?" They'll likely pay ANYTHING to buy the real thing. I knew that laughing Cheshire cat smile on Jobs in the photo was basically saying that.

You're right he's a marketing genius. And they do leak stuff sometimes. But I disagree that this is one of those times. Three people went to jail last year for leaking the design of ipad2 to third parties. Apple would have convinced a court(I guess?) in china that their designs are valuable and shouldn't be leaked. They wouldn't jerk the courts around like that for so little gain. They want to play very nice with the system there. Apple has the world to gain in china. The other tech companies that have gone to china have been blunted one way or another. Apple might be able to pull it off. China is where the puck is. Those case makers can make money off getting their cases out first, enough to pay thousands of dollars to get pictures of the new designs apparently. What you're seeing is demand. There will likely be more of this in the future as all those apple stores start opening up over there creating an ever larger market for third parties.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Forget fake Apple stores, China will be opening the first Iphone museum pretty soon taking credit for the whole damn thing before Apple's done with them.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

What's the cutout next to the camera opening for on the side of the phone?

Also, importantly, what happened to the rumours of the flash being moved to the other side of the phone or something like that?
  • Reply 9 of 31
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

What is the point of Apple expending many months of engineering effort to make the iPhone a few mil thinner, and of a tasteful design, if people just put a big thick Play Doh coloured case on it?

It's a cruel joke, like the human body. We're capable of so many amazing things but stuck with this lumpy, disease and cancer-prone, fleshy sack.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Hmmm, kinda weird that they would be moving back to curved sides so soon. Oh well, I think I'll be more than happy with my iPhone 4 for another year or so.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Give me a bigger screen (4" minimum, preferably 4.5") and an A5 and I'll be happy enough. The current iPhone screen is so tiny as to be rather embarrassing compared to many Android phones now.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Are they really going back to the fugly rounded curves? I love the slick shape it has now. Looks much more contemporary. Hmmm
  • Reply 13 of 31
    I got into the iPhone a month after the 3Gs came out and waited a few extra months to get my iPad so I jumped in at the 2. Of all the apples stuff I like my two devices the best overall. (sans Retina on both).

My favorite promising rumor (and wish) is that the iPhone5 coming out soon will be like the iPad2 only in an approx 4in screen with of course the Retina display.

iPad2 has the best of the curve and flat.

Not sure how I feel about some tapered design, but can't have everything.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    So glad they're dropping the brick-like look of the iPhone 4, it's very hard to find a case that'll compliment the flat sides. And I do not see the purpose of a glass back, what the heck is that for?! I guess these were the Mark Papermaster's jinxed era.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Chinese case makers have begun distributing cases allegedly for Apple's next-generation iPhone, with one report calling the cases "everywhere in China."...

Am I the only one clinging to the hope that this is in fact the new iPod touch instead?

If this is the shape of the new iPhone 5 it will be the first time I *won't* buy this year's iPhone. Who wants a bigger, flatter phone that looks like a tiny iPad? How incredibly ugly and awful.

The current iPhone is feeling a little big and bulky to me lately, the last thing I want is a bigger phone. I can deal with iPhone 5 being the *same* size as iPhone 4, but bigger? No way.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    omoomo Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Am I the only one clinging to the hope that this is in fact the new iPod touch instead?

If this is the shape of the new iPhone 5 it will be the first time I *won't* buy this year's iPhone. Who wants a bigger, flatter phone that looks like a tiny iPad? How incredibly ugly and awful.

The current iPhone is feeling a little big and bulky to me lately, the last thing I want is a bigger phone. I can deal with iPhone 5 being the *same* size as iPhone 4, but bigger? No way.

I agree. But I do think this is the "future product transition" (aka, new ipod Touch transitioned out of ipod and into iOS family; + option of getting version with cell radio for prepaid, etc)

See my long rambling post above!
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OMO View Post

My guess:

This isn't the iPhone 5 (or 4s). This is the "future product transition" Opponheimer alluded to inthe latest Quarterly call.

They're transitioning the iPod Touch out of the iPod category and into the iOS category. Some other thoughts:

* it will be marketed as a new revutionary/magical device, and not an "iPad or iPhone lite" - perhaps with some sort of new iName. This also gives the device more "premium" cred than simply the latest version of an iPod touch or repurposed 3GS.

* it will be a true world device aimed at the huge market potential in china, etc, but as a new device, it will also be desirable in countries that already have iPhone, iPod touch, etc.

* purpose is all-in-one pocketable media, gaming, internet, cloud, and phone.

* slightly larger form factor (than iPhone) is better for gaming, movies, etc. The 'smaller, thinner, lighter' design trajectory will remain with the iphone line

* smaller than 7" tablet = more portable; Larger than iphone = better for some tasks & gaming, etc. A 4" retina display would look amazing!

* larger size also makes more room for more phone radios, battery, or other tech

* available in two versions (like iPad): wifi only or wifi+(global phone radios) for prepaid phone/data market; + VoIP

* with ios5, deep cloud integration, entire apple ecosystem...

* This will be the primary "global" phone/iPod device

** in US or other countries where iPhone currently exists, if you want thinner, smaller, premium smartphone, (and you have/want a traditional cell contract (ATT, Verizon, etc)) you get an iPhone.

** if you want a larger, more media focused, but still pocketabe device (with option for prepaid phone/data), you get this new device.

** doesnt directly cannibalize iPad bc they still serve two distinct purposes

* perhaps iPhone only gets minor refresh +A5 this year (like 4s, although I think they'll name it 5) so it doesn't overshadow the new device too much and can reuse many existing components and design . Also maintains some manufacturing stability/continuity and saves $$ (which theyll be spending to make as many of these new tjings as possible. Then the ip6 gets big update + LTE, etc

* Rev 1 will have A4 and maybe repurpose some 3GS and 4 parts (cameras, rocker volume button, etc) . This would save $$ (both in design and manufacturing bc the infrastructure is in place) and still leave Apple plenty of room to upgrade aspects in future years to drive more sales.

* iPhone still retains ultra premium status by getting latest A processors, maybe more ram, premium materials, etc.

that's a good thesis- it would also fit with the cost structure, making the cost more in-line with the current iTouch... good call

ken
  • Reply 18 of 31
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Mute switch on the opposite side, inline with the iPad's mute/rotation switch? Hmm...
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OMO View Post

I agree. But I do think this is the "future product transition" (aka, new ipod Touch transitioned out of ipod and into iOS family; + option of getting version with cell radio for prepaid, etc)

See my long rambling post above!

Yeah, I read it after I posted. I sure hope that's what's happening. Or something similar.

I guess in that scenario there are no new cases for iPhone 5 because iPhone 5 is identical in shape to iPhone 4.

One could also be encouraged by the fact that however many of these cases exist, they are all so far just the cheap rubber ones that don't necessarily reflect a big investment on the manufacturers part. i.e. - they could just be making a bet on the new shape and not actually know for sure themselves.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I think you may be right.