Geo-Caching : Did It today

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For those who don't know what it is go here:

<a href="http://www.geocaching.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.geocaching.com/</a>;

Anyway, a friend was in town and his wife was busy so he had some geo-cache sites printed out and asked me to go do some searching with him.

The first one was a grade "1.5" difficulty and it took us about 10 minutes of looking once we were within a 20 foot range of the coords. The second one had a difficulty of "3.0" (harder) and we found it within 1 minute of hitting the zone.

I'll have to say that I enjoyed the hiking and the treasure hunt, but the crap that's actually IN the caches isn't all that exciting. I guess I can't judge the entire game from just two hunts. The second hike was on the site of a Civil War battle, the main path went along a decommisioned Civil War era rail line that was the object of a battle where about 1600 men died. I think that I'd have been happy just doing the hike without the treasure as the goal because once you've found the treasure everybody's like, "okay, let's go back to the car now!".

Anybody else do this stuff and want to give me some better stories?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    What did you find?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    First site had a tupperware box full of crappy five-cent toys...hadn't been sealed well and had water inside. It -did- have some kind of traveler toy that wanted to go to Texas. My friend was headed in the opposite direction (S.Carolina) so he left it in there for somebody else.

Second site was an ammo box with more toys, totally dry thanks to the ammo box's rubber seal. Friend left something in that box with little dog tags on it, not sure what he called it. He took a wooden nickel out.

Can't say that I'm going to be doing that again unless they come back into town with their GPS unit.