Canalys: Apple's iOS now world's 2nd largest smartphone platform

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's iOS has surpassed Nokia's Symbian to become the world's second largest smartphone platform with a 19 percent market share, behind only Android's 48 percent share with multiple manufacturers, according to the latest figures from Canalys.

Because Android phones are made by a wide number of hardware manufacturers, Apple's surpassing of Nokia made it the world's largest individual smartphone manufacturer in the second quarter of 2011.

"The iPhone has been a phenomenal success story for Apple and a watershed product for the market," Canalys Vice President and Principal Analyst Chris Jones said. "It's an impressive success story, given that Apple has only been in the smart phone market for four years.

"With the next-generation iPhone anticipated in (the third quarter of calendar 2011), it's likely that Apple's position will grow even stronger in the second half of the year."

Also moving ahead of Nokia in the second quarter was Apple's rival Samsung. However, Canalys said that Samsung, the largest Android device vendor, had an "underwhelming" performance, considering the opportunities available due to Nokia's struggles.

"Samsung has failed to fully capitalize on Nokia's weakened state around the world, as the Finnish company rides out a challenging transitional period," Jones said. "It's the best placed vendor to grow at Nokia's expense, taking advantage of its global scale and channel reach, but it hasn?t yet done enough to capitalize on this, particularly in emerging markets."

Samsung's 17 million smartphone units sold in the quarter placed it behind the record 20.34 million iPhones sold by Apple last quarter, Canalys said. Nokia's smartphone sales were just 16.7 million units last quarter.

Though Android is the leading platform in 35 of the 56 markets Canalys tracks, the firm found that Nokia has retained its leading role in emerging markets like Brazil, Russia, India and China.

"The problem for Nokia is that demand for its Symbian-based smart phones has dissipated very rapidly, particularly in operator-led markets, such as Western Europe, where it's been strong in the past," said Canalys Principal Analyst Pete Cunningham. "It badly needs the first of its Windows Phone devices to launch as soon as possible to arrest a decline and, hopefully, silence its critics."

In all, Canalys found that the smartphone market grew 73 percent year over year, with more than 107.7 million total units shipped in the second quarter of 2011.

While the latest Canalys estimates represent sales and market share, Apple is far and away the market leader in terms of profits in the mobile industry. One analysis released last week found that Apple represents about two-thirds of the mobile phone industry's profits due to growing iPhone sales.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 120
    cgrisarcgrisar Posts: 54member
    A full 30% behind? Ouch!
  • Reply 2 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's iOS has surpassed Nokia's Symbian to become the world's second largest smartphone platform ...

Except iOS is not actually a "smartphone platform."
  • Reply 3 of 120
    I would imagine that most people on this forum know how to read this news but this same information when disseminated to the masses reads like this:

"Apple's iPhone is falling precipitously behind Google's Android platform."

Next week, when I mention to my Mother that I am buying an iPhone, I'll be greeted with this response:

"Oh, Son, I would be careful about buying one of those, I hear they'll be off the market soon."

[on edit: Expect a 15% drop in AAPL over the next 3 weeks]
  • Reply 4 of 120
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgrisar View Post

A full 30% behind? Ouch!

iPad devices, iPod touch devices, I wonder what the real number is.
  • Reply 5 of 120
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

The iPhone is over 50% of iOS device sales so even if you add all the iOS devices together Android would still be ahead although not by nearly as much..
  • Reply 6 of 120
    grmacgrmac Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I would imagine that most people on this forum know how to read this news but this same information when disseminated to the masses reads like this:

"Apple's iPhone is falling precipitously behind Google's Android platform."

Next week, when I mention to my Mother that I am buying an iPhone, I'll be greeted with this response:

"Oh, Son, I would be careful about buying one of those, I hear they'll be off the market soon."

[on edit: Expect a 15% drop in AAPL over the next 3 weeks]

Rigged "buy" opportunity...
  • Reply 7 of 120
    Who gives a shit if Android is that far ahead of Apple? I certainly don't. Apple isn't going anywhere, nor is Android.
  • Reply 8 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Well, the real number is 30% behind for smartphones,
  • Reply 9 of 120
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    With Samsung, the number of smart phones sold is a real unknown with numbers ranging from 15 million to 21 million. Even if that. What is the break down? Bada? Android? WP7? For Bada, there are estimates it could be as high as 5 million (3.5 million last quarter). WP7? Everyone is mum but that may be around 1.2 million. Android the rest.

With Samsung increasing its exposure more and more in the numbers with larger smart phone shipments, it makes these calculations have huge potential sources of error and it disappoints me the reports do not try to put an error range on the data.
  • Reply 10 of 120
    I'm not sure what's more amazing, Apples stunning growth in the space, or Symbian (Nokia)'s fall.
  • Reply 11 of 120
    0yvind0yvind Posts: 55member
    Quote:

Well, the real number is 30% behind for smartphones,

Not so accurate, because every android device is counted as a "smartphone", even the tablets and half-tablets (Streak etc). Only with apple, they peel away those from the numbers.
  • Reply 12 of 120
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 0yvind View Post

Not so accurate, because every android device is counted as a "smartphone", even the tablets and half-tablets (Streak etc). Only with apple, they peel away those from the numbers.

Mmm, no, only smartphones are counted
  • Reply 13 of 120
    Quote:

A full 30% behind? Ouch!

Number one smart phone maker. 2/3 of all the industry profits. Surely every phone maker would like to be apple at this point. Not the other way around.

Ouch?
  • Reply 14 of 120
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

A full 30% behind? Ouch!

Perhaps you missed the most important sentence in the whole story.

i.e. "While the latest Canalys estimates represent sales and market share, Apple is far and away the market leader in terms of profits in the mobile industry".

Now I'm going to ask you, oh wise one, a trick question .... if you ran a company and could choose to "lead in one category only", which would you choose .... market share or profits ..... think carefully .... ouch.

I guess it's true ... we only see what we want to see.
  • Reply 15 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Perhaps you missed the most important sentence in the whole story.

i.e. "While the latest Canalys estimates represent sales and market share, Apple is far and away the market leader in terms of profits in the mobile industry".

Now I'm going to ask you, oh wise one, a trick question .... if you ran a company and could choose to "lead in one category only", which would you choose .... market share or profits ..... think carefully .... ouch.

I guess it's true ... we only see what we want to see.

Well, high margins brought Apple to the brink of bankruptcy, not?

I guess it's true,,, we filter out what we don't want to see.
  • Reply 16 of 120
    Quote:

Well, high margins brought Apple to the brink of bankruptcy, not?

I guess it's true,,, we filter out what we don't want to see.

Apple has more cash on hand than the federal government. Your arguments are very thin.
  • Reply 17 of 120
    Quote:

"The iPhone has been a phenomenal success story for Apple and a watershed product for the market," Canalys Vice President and Principal Analyst Chris Jones said. "It's an impressive success story, given that Apple has only been in the smart phone market for four years.

One might say that Android's story, a full year behind Apple, is even more impressive.

When was the day the Apple-is-always-the-best-no-questions-asked-fans told that Android would

1) Never catch on and then (3 years ago)

2) Never catch up and then (2 years ago)

3) Never surpass Apple (1 year ago)
  • Reply 18 of 120
    Quote:

One might say that Android's story, a full year behind Apple, is even more impressive.

When was the day the Apple-is-always-the-best-no-questions-asked-fans told that Android would

1) Never catch on and then (3 years ago)

2) Never catch up and then (2 years ago)

3) Never surpass Apple (1 year ago)

Sure... but Apple is still the best... hands down... no question... absolutely...
  • Reply 19 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Apple has more cash on hand than the federal government. Your arguments are very thin.

I'm sorry, what are your arguments?

Do you really believe no-one is concerned about this figures at Apple?

For the first time, Android is eating up Apple's market share.
  • Reply 20 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Sure... but Apple is still the best...

Of course