(Reuters) - Britain will signal on Wednesday that it intends to legalize copying of C

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
(Reuters) - Britain will signal on Wednesday that it intends to legalize copying of CDs or DVDs onto digital music players or computers for personal use, a government source said on Tuesday.

I suppose that the government in the U.K. hasn't heard the declaration of the mighty lord and igod, steve jobs, that optical drives, CD's and DVD's are ancient, archaic, and that absolutely nobody uses these things anymore... anywhere!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LarryC View Post

(Reuters) - Britain will signal on Wednesday that it intends to legalize copying of CDs or DVDs onto digital music players or computers for personal use, a government source said on Tuesday.

I suppose that the government in the U.K. hasn't heard the declaration of the mighty lord and igod, steve jobs, that optical drives, CD's and DVD's are ancient, archaic, and that absolutely nobody uses these things anymore... anywhere!

It's not just Steve. Fantastic sales of the Macbook Air show that consumers aren't necessarily viewing optical drives as dead but rather as inessential to daily computing to the point where an integrated drive is no longer needed.

I think it's a common fallacy to assume that Apple's removal of the optical drive means they think it's dead. It's more likely that integrated optical drives aren't proving value for the amount of space they take up. I agree with this myself.