Apple seen merging iOS, Mac OS X with custom A6 chip in 2012

Comments

• Reply 101 of 186
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

. The DuoDock was awesome.

I don't know if I've ever met anyone, Apple aficionados anyway, who didn't think that.

I kinda surprised they haven't made an updated version of this. I think it would sell well today.
  • Reply 102 of 186
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

No offence, but autism and retardation are not related to each other at all.

Also, "retarded" is a perfectly scientific word. There is a big push on lately to have it deleted from our collective lexicon for being offensive but it's not actually in and of itself a pejorative or even a negative remark. It's a shortened form of the technical term "developmentally retarded."

Using todays classifications, many kids that would have formerly been classified as retarded, are now labeled as autistic. However, being diagnosed as autistic does not mean that the person is not retarded. It's believed anywhere from 25-75 percent of autistic people are retarded. The difference is what thresh hold the researches and doctors choose to use. Opinions vary wildly on that one.

In any case, i did not mean to sound like I was offended by the comment. I was not.
  • Reply 103 of 186
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcode View Post

Obvious press-seeker is obvious.

Also, by 2089, computers will fly.

Where have you been? Last year my Dell laptop went flying across the room, out the door and onto the sidewalk. It only flew once but that was enough.
  • Reply 104 of 186
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    I call bull on Apple shifting to ARM processors for their computers. It wouldn't make sense to work with Intel to develop ThunderBolt ports with an exclusive 1-year contract on ThunderBolt-enabled computers just to move away from Intel-based chips a year later.
  • Reply 105 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

No offence, but autism and retardation are not related to each other at all.

Also, "retarded" is a perfectly scientific word. There is a big push on lately to have it deleted from our collective lexicon for being offensive but it's not actually in and of itself a pejorative or even a negative remark. It's a shortened form of the technical term "developmentally retarded."

The way it was used in this thread was pejorative. Calling a word perfectly scientific or technical isn't a good reason for a lack of compassion. No word is "actually in and of itself pejorative or negative". Pretty much every time I hear it it's to demean someone by comparing them to someone who is developmentally disabled. If you're cars timing is advanced and running poorly you may need to retard it for proper operation, I get that, but let's maybe try to understand how it can seriously impact people whose challenges are greater than yours and mine might be.
  • Reply 106 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Unix will still be there, it just won't likely be as acceptable. Shame really - one of the reasons I'm able to be so productive with my Mac is because I can make short work of processing tons of files at the command prompt.

Mmmm... Maybe we'll see JailBreaks for the Mac
  • Reply 107 of 186
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcode View Post

Hear, hear.

To expand on this, all sorts of things can be retarded - not just developmentally. Engine Retarder Brakes, A music suspension that resolves upward instead of downward (a retardation), Retarded potential in electrodynamics - etc...

It always grinds my gears when people freak out at me for using the most scientifically correct term available.

You have to understand where the objection to the term is coming from. Calling someone 'retarded' is rarely 'scientifically correct'. Mostly it is ignorant, and sometimes hurtful. As a joke its wearing thin for the two previous reasons. I don't think you'll hear the term used professionally in a descriptive way as far as people go. Clearly the word retarded is a word with a specific meaning as you point out, but by the sounds of it you have been mis-using the word.
  • Reply 108 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Where have you been? Last year my Dell laptop went flying across the room, out the door and onto the sidewalk. It only flew once but that was enough.

Was it a Dell Air?
  • Reply 109 of 186
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"When 64-bit ARM is available in 2016, we believe Apple will have a single OS and hardware architecture."

?

That rumor suggested Apple wanted to transition to ARM processors "as soon as possible," likely when 64-bit variations become available at the end of 2012 or by early 2013.

So - which is it? 64bit ARM n 2012/13 or in 2016?

• Reply 110 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

Err.. ya. Lion has a Finder. iOS doesn't. Lion lets you purchase, download and install software from anywhere. iOS doesn't. Lion lets you print to virtually any networked printer. iOS doesn't. Lion lets you manage your files and folders the way you want. iOS doesn't. Lion lets you create multiple user accounts and assign each different levels of access. iOS doesn't. Lion supports external drives and optical drives. iOS doesn't. Lion lets you encrypt your files. iOS doesn't. Lion gives you parental controls. iOS doesn't. Lion lets you use the keyboard and pointing device of your choice. iOS doesn't. Lion lets you decide whether or not you want to run Flash. iOS doesn't. Lion supports networking in a heterogeneous environment. iOS doesn't.

Other than that, I can't think of any differences whatsoever.

iOS has parental controls, of sorts.
  • Reply 111 of 186
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Unix will still be there, it just won't likely be as acceptable.

Do you mean accessible?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmmm... Maybe we'll see JailBreaks for the Mac

Something like that will never be needed.
  • Reply 112 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Steve has been spreading these rumors to scare Intel.

He wants to see if he can make Otellini cry.

Actually, I think Steve wants Intel to be the foundry for the A6 -- some interesting possibilities and problems
  • Reply 113 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I don't know if I've ever met anyone, Apple aficionados anyway, who didn't think that.

I kinda surprised they haven't made an updated version of this. I think it would sell well today.

There is Henge Docks. Never tried them and they seem quite expensive but I have considered them as I find the three connectors between my MBP and my Apple Display clumsy.
  • Reply 114 of 186
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

The number of customers who use Unix is vanishingly small. OTOH, the number of people who want/need to do common tasks, as easily and efficiently as possible, is HUGE.

Apple is now aiming for the sweet spot, where most of the money is. I expect that their devices will become, over time, easier to use. That is what gives value to the hardware, not the ability for a few geeks to do esoteric tasks.

The two concerns here are not exclusive, Apple can do easy while keeping UNIX accessible. The fact is underneath iOS devices have a lot, but not all of that goodness that is UNIX.

I think you underestimate the intelligence of many MacOS users. Those UNIX under pinnings are. Often put to good use.
  • Reply 115 of 186
    Jobs has stated that Apple will only work on two OS's at a time. So if they can eventually merge iOS and OSX into one OS, than Apple can work on creating a true web/cloud based OS with icloud that could offset any short comings ios/osx would have.
  • Reply 116 of 186
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobersonGabriel View Post

I just paid $22.87 for an iPad2-64GB and my girlfriend loves her Panasonic Lumix GF 1 Camera that we got for $38.76 there arriving tomorrow by UPS. I will never pay such expensive retail prices in stores again. Especially when I also sold a 40 inch LED TV to my boss for $675 which only cost me $62.81 to buy. Here is the website we use to get it all from, BidsOut.com

Ban hammer?
  • Reply 117 of 186
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

ARM might solve the battery life problem. 3-4 hours isn't good enough for the 11" Air.

Or allowing more space for the battery. My 15" MBP i7 gets well over 8 hours.
  • Reply 118 of 186
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neilw View Post

While I agree with much of the sentiment of your post, classifying iPhone and iPad as "small, niche embedded devices" is shortsighted. Mobile devices are taking over computing. The transition may take a while, but it's underway. We are headed for the day when heavyweight desktop and laptop products will be the "niche devices".

which is why I clairifed what was meant by the term "niche."

No shortsightedness here.

mobile devices are not "taking over computing." they are simply used much more frequently for menial and casual tasks. Are they taking over the "little things?" sure. It's simply more convenient.

but for actual computing, be it typing a document, graphic design, video editing, audio work, financial systems, etc. a "real" computer is required.

Mobile devices with added power are great because of this fact: They are GAINING features.

Desktops and notebooks are great because they are also always GAINING capabilities, which they already have in spades over mobile devices.

Apple is currently on a trend of artificially introducing a convenience by dumbing down the Mac, which is ridiculous. They are missing the boat here. sure, there will be some things that makes sense to crossover. then do that. but don't cripple the mac, just so the marketing team can put the money making iPhone next to the MBP on the website homepage...

Mobile device will always be a device that we use for the convenient little things. It makes sense that we use them more and certain things are integrated. But they will never be a replacement for a desktop or notebook.

People buy a laptop and keep it for many years. People replace their phone every year or so. that's how Nokia sold so many handsets and it is also selling tons of iPhones.

the sales are not due to a better OS or a trend in taking over computing. They are due to different dynamics in how various devices, however integrated, are used, discarded, and purchased.

The Mac should always be the definitive, "you can do anything, do it right, and do it easily" platform. Mobile devices may be used a lot (especially where phone calls are concerned... - or casual gaming, or fun apps, etc, but they will always be a "niche" in terms of real computing.

there are some benefits to a hyper mobile platform and there are some to a station, mobile or otherwise. the point is that , while the mobile is being upgraded, it is a horrible thing to cripple the superior platform just to make the mobile platform look better, which is most certainly the trend here. And FCP X is just the beginning. "hey, let's take the iPhone version of iMovie, sell it on the Mac and call it Final Cut Pro!" no thanks.

(And yes, I am aware that FCP X is far greater than the iOS iMovie. LOL.. But it is an obvious bow to that software and it's platform and is also an obvious warning sign of what happens when apple engineers follow that philosophy.
  • Reply 119 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do you mean accessible?

Something like that will never be needed.

Yeah... just joking.

But there is a missing link between the openness of OS X and the closeness of iOS.

It's been a while since I JallBroke an iDevice (AIR an ATV1). But remember the feeling of power being able to navigate the iOS file system and manipulate files with FCP and SSH.

Anyway, maybe someone could write (or already has written) a terminal program that runs on an iPad -- it'd be kinda' fun to mess around with the CLI on the device, itself!

Anyway, if Apple introduces devices with a combined OS -- I would expect that there would be a way for those who want/need to manipulate it at the CLI level.
  • Reply 120 of 186
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

The way it was used in this thread was pejorative. Calling a word perfectly scientific or technical isn't a good reason for a lack of compassion. No word is "actually in and of itself pejorative or negative". Pretty much every time I hear it it's to demean someone by comparing them to someone who is developmentally disabled. If you're cars timing is advanced and running poorly you may need to retard it for proper operation, I get that, but let's maybe try to understand how it can seriously impact people whose challenges are greater than yours and mine might be.

Is it OK to call a fellow commenter a pompous windbag?