Apple issues Quicktime 7.7 for Windows, Leopard and printer driver updates

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday issued QuickTime 7.7 for Windows and Mac OS X Leopard, as well as a batch of driver updates for printers and scanners from Samsung, HP and Brother.

QuickTime 7.7 for Leopard

On its download page for the update, Apple indicates that QuickTime 7.7 for Leopard improves security. According to a support document explaining the changes made, QuickTime 7.7 closes several holes that could allow maliciously crafted images, audio files and movies to crash the program or execute unauthorized code.

The update is a 68.85MB download and is recommended for all Mac OS X Leopard users.

QuickTime 7.7 for Windows

Apple recommends QuickTime 7.7 for all users on Windows XP (SP2 or later), Windows Vista and Windows 7. The update resolves a number of Windows-specific security flaws.

Users are warned that installing QuickTime 7 will disable QuickTime Pro functionality on prior versions of the software, such as QuickTime 6.

Printer drivers

HP Printer Drivers 2.7 for Mac OS X is a 494.47MB download containing the latest printing and scanning software for HP printers. The update requires Mac OS X 10.6.1 or later or Mac OS X Lion.

Samsung Printer Drivers 2.2 for Mac OS X includes Samsung printing software that shipped with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. The 26.86MB download requires Mac OS X 10.6 or later or Lion.

Finally, the Brother 2.7 Printer Drivers update installs the latest software for Brother printers or scanners. The download weighs 136.55MB and requires Mac OS X 10.6.0 or later or Lion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    What has it been, two years since we've had a QuickTime 7 update?

When's QuickTime 10 coming out for Windows?

And when'll they finish putting all the QuickTime Pro features into QuickTime X proper?!
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And when'll they finish putting all the QuickTime Pro features into QuickTime X proper?!

Agreed
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Agreed

Agreed... to questions.

• Reply 4 of 26
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Which features are you looking for?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

The rest of the stuff that isn't in QuickTime X that forces me to keep QuickTime Pro 7 around. Lion's QuickTime X made some good strides, but it's just not there yet.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    msuberlymsuberly Posts: 234member
    My Brother driver update was only 16.6MB. Delta change, perhaps?
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Wednesday issued QuickTime 7.7 for Windows and Mac OS X Leopard, as well as a batch of driver updates for printers and scanners from Samsung, HP and Brother.

QuickTime 7.7 for Leopard...

So Lion users of Quicktime 7 don't get the upgrade? Weird.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

So Lion users of Quicktime 7 don't get the upgrade? Weird.

We're running Pro anyway, and Pro isn't sold anymore, so any update would just break it.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:

We're running Pro anyway, and Pro isn't sold anymore, so any update would just break it.

Right. Forgot about that.

I must say I'm still a bit shocked at how Apple is treating Quicktime given it's central place in the OS and in their own history. Missing functionality in X. Pro only works on a hack really (because you can't pay for it anymore). What a mess.

If someone needs it at work I have to install 7, and then use an illegal serial number generator (or simply a stolen serial number). It's not cool at all to do that, but Apple has made it necessary.

Caveat: I haven't seriously looked at Quicktime X since Lion came out, perhaps the missing functionality has been added back in and the only reason to use 7 now is aesthetics?
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:

+1 to this.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quicktime X 10.1 in Lion- New Features:

http://www.macstories.net/reviews/li...ring-features/
  • Reply 12 of 26
    QuickTime Pro 7 is still for sale in the Apple Store, Apple Part Numbers D3381Z and D3380Z, so there is no reason to use illegal serial numbers, unless you really just don't want to pay for it. Volume licenses are also still available for it for educational and business customers. QuickTime Pro 7 can also be downloaded for Lion from this Apple Knowledge Base article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3678

I'm still not sure what exactly people are looking for in QuickTime X that isn't already included in iMovie that's for sale at 50% less than a QuickTime Pro 7 license. QuickTime 7 had become bloatware, trying to do too many things, and, I was happy to see it slimmed down to just a few core features, and leaving some of the other functionality to other software. Screen captures and quick trims/edits are perfectly fine for me.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    What makes anyone think QuickTime 10 will ever be released on Windows?
  • Reply 14 of 26
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member
    When will they fix the H264 gamma problem?
  • Reply 15 of 26
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

My Brother driver update was only 16.6MB. Delta change, perhaps?

That, or HP really is bloated with the .5 Gig update¡
  • Reply 16 of 26
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

in QT7 you can export a movie (or 'whatever' format for that reason) to a whole variety of formats. Only export sound, or video. That's just an example, but there's a whole slew of options that QTX never got. Don't think QTX supports AppleScript. Have you ever dragged a text file to QT7? You can't do that with QTX¡

Yep, I love QT7. iMovie, not so much. More of a FCP user myself (old school, not FCPX. Hmm, another X program it seems)
  • Reply 17 of 26
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    So since Apple can issue printer updates, is there some technical limitation that does not allow them to put out an update that would make a lot more printers compatible with AirPrint?
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Will this printer update stop the annoying habit of my HP printer pausing the print queue randomly and then having my wife call me at work in a pissed off voice asking why she can't unpause it because she's not an administrator?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What makes anyone think QuickTime 10 will ever be released on Windows?

The fact that every version of QuickTime prior was released on Windows, probably.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by taugust04 View Post

I'm still not sure what exactly people are looking for in QuickTime X that isn't already included in iMovie that's for sale at 50% less than a QuickTime Pro 7 license. QuickTime 7 had become bloatware, trying to do too many things, and, I was happy to see it slimmed down to just a few core features, and leaving some of the other functionality to other software. Screen captures and quick trims/edits are perfectly fine for me.

- The ability to reassign audio channels.

- The ability to check for the presence of a timecode track. (Especially important given that FCP7 loves to randomly not lay one down)

- The ability to mark out a segment from one video, and create a new video file from the clipboard and save it.

- The ability to have the controller out of the way.

QT7 is a lightweight workhorse that makes my life a lot easier. QTX is simply not used.