Apple launches Find My Mac tool for iCloud.com beta

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has activated the new Find My Mac tool for developers with early access to Apple's iCloud service, allowing users to locate, lock and even wipe a lost Mac computer.

The new tool closely resembles the Find My iPhone service, despite the fact that Macs lack GPS, MacRumors reports. People familiar with the matter note that the service appears to use Wi-Fi networks to determine a Mac's location.

Find My Mac first appeared in developer previews of Mac OS X Lion. In May, it was discovered that the feature contained evidence that Apple was planning to migrate MobileMe accounts over to the new iCloud service, codenamed "Castle."

Upon locating a Mac, users can use the tool to play a sound, send a message, lock the screen and erase the hard drive. The service is expected to release to the public this fall along with iCloud.

After a Mac is locked by Find My Mac, a user will need to input a four digit PIN code to regain access to the device.

Apple announced iCloud in June at the Worldwide Developers Conference. The free service will include revamped versions of most of the MobileMe features; allow re-downloads of purchased iOS apps, books and music; and provide backup storage.

On Monday, Apple activated the login page for iCloud.com, though not all users have been able to successfully login.

AppleInsider discovered a posting to the Apple job board on Tuesday that suggests the company is looking to build out iCloud-based web apps for its iWork productivity suite. The existing iWork.com web services are currently in the process of being folded into the iCloud.com site.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has activated the new Find My Mac tool for developers with early access to Apple's iCloud service, allowing users to locate, lock and even wipe a lost Mac computer.

The new tool closely resembles the Find My iPhone service, despite the fact that Macs lack GPS, MacRumors reports. People familiar with the matter note that the service appears to use Wi-Fi networks to determine a Mac's location.

Find My Mac first appeared in

This requires setting up FileVault 2 right?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Countdown to France and Germany making this feature illegal.....3...2...1...
  • Reply 3 of 15
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Countdown to France and Germany making this feature illegal.....3...2...1...

I just hope all this iCloud stuff is as reliable and functional as it is pretty. MobileMe's web interface was also beautiful... but...
  • Reply 4 of 15
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    This is great! There's no point in stealing a Mac anymore, is there? I will be able to leave my computer unattended without having to worry too much
  • Reply 5 of 15
    midiacmidiac Posts: 23member
    How about. . .Find my iDisk? Where did IT go???? How about reinstating some of THESE features that people loved so much. To store things we actually want to, not just things you allow? Oh, and iWeb hosting. . .? Argh!
  • Reply 6 of 15
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

This is great! There's no point in stealing a Mac anymore, is there? I will be able to leave my computer unattended without having to worry too much

Well, you will be able to track where I take your Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midiac View Post

How about. . .Find my iDisk? Where did IT go???? How about reinstating some of THESE features that people loved so much. To store things we actually want to, not just things you allow? Oh, and iWeb hosting. . .? Argh!

You do realize that Apple cares about features that they love, and not necessarily features that *people* love, don't you? Sometimes, there is a sizable intersection between the two sets. Sometimes, you're forced to *redirect* your love.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I'm not real familiar with iris scan technology, so maybe someone more knowledgeable could tell me, but it seems like now that every Mac (& Mac mini w/ Thunderbolt Display) and iOS device now has a FaceTime camera built-in, a future iteration of Mac OS X/iOS could include iris scan or facial recognition as a login option. If I'm sitting so that my face is about 1 meter away from the camera, would that be sufficient for an iris scan? I don't know. But would be cool if it was possible. I say as a login option because I'm sure that some people wouldn't want actual biometric data attached to their userID. But it's really the best way to make sure that no unauthorized people get login access to your machine. Passwords are either difficult to remember or easy to guess, or somewhere in between. With a biometric ID system, there would be no passwords to memorize or steal. The only way to utilize a stolen Mac/iOS device then would be to steal one of your eyes, in which case, you've got bigger problems than a stolen Mac.

Biometric ID would also help to render a stolen Mac/iOS device useless. I assume that every device built has a unique machine ID. Tie that in to your biometric ID, store that machineID/biometricID in the cloud (if you trust their security?I know, a BIG IF!!) and even a stolen Mac/iOS that was wiped and rebuilt would be useless to a thief. Of course, if you decide to sell it or give it away, you could detach your biometric ID from the machine ID and let someone else claim the machine as theirs, but that could only be done deliberately (or maybe at gunpoint? ) by you.

Anyway, just thinking out loud.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midiac View Post

Oh, and iWeb hosting. . .? Argh!

Implying that you can't just use iWeb to host your website SOMEWHERE ELSE because the software won't instantaneously break.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Wow, that's a big advance for hackers to wipe out people's data on their macs. Just wait for the news of mysteriously data wiped macs.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Wow, that's a big advance for hackers to wipe out people's data on their macs. Just wait for the news of mysteriously data wiped macs.

Last quarter Apple sold 4 million Macs and 34 million, or 8.5 as many, IOS-based iDevices with a remote wipe feature. If it wasn't an issue for them why would it all of a sudden become an issue for a much smaller target?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Where all of us Mac Tools.....where just input tools in the Apple Universe.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Where all of us Mac Tools.....where just input tools in the Apple Universe.

Mac Tools?

• Reply 14 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Last quarter Apple sold 4 million Macs and 34 million, or 8.5 as many, IOS-based iDevices with a remote wipe feature. If it wasn't an issue for them why would it all of a sudden become an issue for a much smaller target?

Because fearmongering sells. Period.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    tinman0tinman0 Posts: 168member
    3 weeks ago, I never bothered with the various track down software that's been available. When I buy my next MacBook (which isn't any time soon) I will be making great use of this feature.

I can assure anyone who is skeptical about this feature that it will be gold.

Now, back to me dreaming of owning a Mac again, like I did 3 weeks ago when I accidently left mine on a park bench.