Routers, anyone?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone have a (current) favorite router they would recommend? I want to use a MBP, circa 2008, located on the same level and about 50' from an iMac/ISP terminal. There is an intervening wall containing metal lath and stacked washer-dtyer in back of it. I don't know if that would be a negative factor or not and would like an opinion.

I have been touted on D-Link routers, which have good and bad reviews; however, all of the other routers, I've looked online for also have good and bad reviews. Frustrating.

Any suggestions? I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, but I would like a decent quality appliance.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I have been touted on D-Link routers, which have good and bad reviews; however, all of the other routers, I've looked online for also have good and bad reviews. Frustrating.

Every router that I have owned including my current Cisco Linksys E3000 except one have been LInksys routers. They work well, but tend to crap-out after 18 months or so. I thought that was normal. My next router will be an Apple Airport Extreme or whatever replaces the Airport Extreme. Airports just work and last forever. In terms of price, the Airport Extreme is in the same range as my current Linksys.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Given that Apple has upped the power of the Airport Extreme's recently there's no reason not to buy one if the price is comparable...the only potential downside is that they don't have a web configuration on the thing but require an app.

I'm biased though. I had purchased a bum AEBS on closeout when a chain was going out of business and the local Apple Store replaced it on the spot anyway rather than make me go through the hassle of repair.

Whatever the difference in technical merits the quality of service from my Apple Store trumps that.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Fugedduboutit; I googled an answer.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i had a dual band vizio--very cheap and unbelievably easy to set up like 3 steps

but it kept losing connections requiring multiple sign ins during the day especially my iphone

went to sams and bought the E4200 linksys not as easy, harder to set for dual band took more time

BUT MUCH MORE STABLE

get a linksys, avoid belkin

i'd get linksys or apple done simple, easy
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I now have a router that sometimes connects to my laptop; however, I'd like to somehow upgrade it so it doesn't lose signal. Unfortunately, there is metal in the walls between the router and the laptop.

I've notice that there are USB gadgets that are supposedly to enhance the signal; they are around 10 to 20 bucks. Does anyone have experience with one of these? Would you recommend one?

Thanks
  • Reply 6 of 7
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    my linksys 4200 works great less intuitive to set up but getting better converage

using the dual band requires you to go advanced

if only cisco could learn from vizio about set up
  • Reply 7 of 7
    is there a big difference between the current extreme and the last version of it? I am looking for a new router and I can get the previous version of the airport extreme for 70 bucks refurbished. Should I not get a used/refurbished one because routers crap out after a couple months? All the linksys I have bought seem to go bad after about a year