Google+ comes to iPad; Skype for Mac adds Lion & HD support

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
The Google+ software for iOS has been expanded to support the iPad and iPod touch. In addition, Skype for Mac version 5.3 has been released, adding support for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, as well as high-definition video calls.

Skype for Mac 5.3

The latest version of Skype for Mac, released on Monday, brings a number of improvements to the software, but most relevant are support for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, as well as HD video calls. The software, which is a free download, is compatible with Lion as well as past versions of Mac OS X as far back as 10.5 Leopard.

With Skype for Mac 5.3, users can send and receive HD video. This feature utilizes the built-in high-definition FaceTime camera found on Apple's latest Macs, and is also supported by external HD cameras.

Skype recommends that users have an upload/download speed of 1.5Mbps to ensure the best quality with high-definition video calls.

In May, Skype was acquired by Microsoft for $8.5 billion, as the Redmond, Wash., software giant plans to use the technology to support its services like Xbox and Windows Phone. And last month, Skype teamed up with Facebook to offer video calling to the social networking service.

Google+ for iPad

Google on Monday updated its official Google+ application, adding support for the iPad and iPod touch. Version 1.0.2.1966 remains a free download on the App Store.

Other additions in the update include Huddle settings, aggregated circle add notifications, and performance and stability improvements. It is a 5.5MB download.

The appearance of Google+ on the iPad is noteworthy because the fledgling social network's primary competition, Facebook, still does not have a native application for the iPad. The official Facebook for iPhone software is one of the most popular applications available for Apple's handset.

Back in June, The New York Times said an official Facebook for iPad application was set to arrive in a matter of weeks. Since then, the necessary code for iPad support was even discovered hidden in the currently available Facebook application for the iPhone.

The Times originally reported that the forthcoming iPad application will feature a "slick design" tailored for the tablet's multi-touch interface, and will allow users to shoot and upload photos and videos. Many similar features are already available on the Google+ application for iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    so what is up with FaceBook and its hold back on the iPad app?

it might make sense if FaceBook were about to release its own branded tablet or a special partnership with some OEM. but that would have to be an Android tab, and FaceBook and Google are mortal enemies. ditto MS. i guess they could team up with RIM ... but the PlayBook is so lame.

more likely mayb there is still some tiff between Apple and FaceBook over things. being run by an arrogant kid, FaceBook is just green enough to think it can play hardball anytime.

anyway, Google has now forced the iPad issue. FB would be crazy to keep holding back its iPad app. because that will give iPad owners a very good reason to try Google+.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    To bad it was just support for the iPad and not a full integrated app. You can now just use the iPhone version on the iPad.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member
    WTF???

"Right now, we're testing with a small number of people, but it won't be long before the Google+ project is ready for everyone. Leave us your email address and we'll make sure you're the first to know when we're ready to invite more people."

Google+ isn't even available to the public yet, this is pointless.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The latest version of Skype for Mac, released on Monday, brings a number of improvements to the software, but most relevant are support for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, as well as HD video calls. The software, which is a free download, is compatible with Lion as well as past versions of Mac OS X as far back as 10.5 Leopard.

When Skype actually fixes the interface for Skype 5, then THAT will be news.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TabletinaMinute View Post

To bad it was just support for the iPad and not a full integrated app. You can now just use the iPhone version on the iPad.

Seriously. I was all excited, downloaded it, and faced serious disappointment.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Is there anything wrong with the iPad browser? At 1024x768, a dedicated app would hardly make a difference in the user experience...
  • Reply 7 of 19
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Is there anything wrong with the iPad browser? At 1024x768, a dedicated app would hardly make a difference in the user experience...

Think in terms of performance, any animation you're doing is being done natively rather than through the browser. Native apps beat web apps whenever they're available, assuming they're well written.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    This is not an iPad app. This is the iPhone app that you can 2x to take up the full screen. That's silly. You're still better off accessing Google+ via the browser as you can get the full desktop experience.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    sticknicksticknick Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WardC View Post

WTF???

"Right now, we're testing with a small number of people, but it won't be long before the Google+ project is ready for everyone. Leave us your email address and we'll make sure you're the first to know when we're ready to invite more people."

Google+ isn't even available to the public yet, this is pointless.

They've always done this starting with Gmail. Kind of like a Public Beta or whatever. Maybe they think it will build up hype, I don't know.

That being said, I've been using Google+ for about three weeks now and, for the life of me, I can't figure out how this would move people away from Facebook.

While Google+ is not as thick headed as Wave, or as mind numbingly stupid as Buzz, it certainly isn't anything special. It looks like Facebook (minus the shitty Flash games) with a Google logo. Big deal.

Too little too late Google. While the nerds and neckbeards will no doubt love Google+ (even if because it's NOT Facebook), you're going up against a juggernaut you can't hope to compete with.

In fact Google, you're starting to look like MS and the rash of "me too" products that they've been spitting out over the past few years.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TabletinaMinute View Post

On the other hand, there are only a dozen people on Google Plus right now, so there is still plenty of time to make clients. Facebook still doesn't have a client for the iPad and they are far more popular.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sticknick View Post

They've always done this starting with Gmail. Kind of like a Public Beta or whatever. Maybe they think it will build up hype, I don't know.

That being said, I've been using Google+ for about three weeks now and, for the life of me, I can't figure out how this would move people away from Facebook.

While Google+ is not as thick headed as Wave, or as mind numbingly stupid as Buzz, it certainly isn't anything special. It looks like Facebook (minus the shitty Flash games) with a Google logo. Big deal.

Too little too late Google. While the nerds and neckbeards will no doubt love Google+ (even if because it's NOT Facebook), you're going up against a juggernaut you can't hope to compete with.

In fact Google, you're starting to look like MS and the rash of "me too" products that they've been spitting out over the past few years.

I find the UI to be better than Facebook in several ways. There are a dozen or two little stupid "gotchas" in Facebook that don't exist in Google Plus so that makes it much nicer for me. It's also more "honest" than Facebook in that the settings are straightforward and there is no feeling that you are being lied to or tricked into doing this that or the other thing.

All that being said however, I agree about it being "doomed." I'm not a massive user of either system but it's easy to see that if you have hundreds of friends on Facebook and all of your friends and relatives are already on it, that they won't be "moving" to Google Plus simply because specs-wise it's technically a better product.

People don't chose products like Facebook based on rational assessments of the feature set and the UI. At least normal people don't, and this is Google's big mistake. They don't realise that what is a great thing for an engineer at Google, is sometimes meaningless to a normal person. Why would your Mom or your great Aunt Tessie move to Google Plus for instance? Why would anyone who isn't a tech-geek?

They may get more and more users over time, but so will Facebook who could copy everything Google Plus has that they don't in a minute. They are likely at work on it as we speak. Google Plus will always be for geeks only with a few friends and relatives of geeks thrown in.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

A dedicated iOS app would have better performance and would support certain things, like badges, push notifications, etc. better than a web app. Locally stored content (animations, sound, etc.) would run faster and save bandwidth.

Also, there are fewer security concerns with a well designed native app. A web browser is one of the most vulnerable applications you can run on a PC or these portable computing devices (smartphones, tablets, music players).
  • Reply 13 of 19
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    I use Friendly for Facebook on my iPad. Full screen and no ads. Works just as good as Facebook for me.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Think in terms of performance, any animation you're doing is being done natively rather than through the browser. Native apps beat web apps whenever they're available, assuming they're well written.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

A dedicated iOS app would have better performance and would support certain things, like badges, push notifications, etc. better than a web app. Locally stored content (animations, sound, etc.) would run faster and save bandwidth.

Also, there are fewer security concerns with a well designed native app. A web browser is one of the most vulnerable applications you can run on a PC or these portable computing devices (smartphones, tablets, music players).

I gathered as much -- better performance is obvious -- that's why I asked if there was anything wrong with the browser. If it works normally, the gain in performance should be negligible -- it's like going from a 32x speed CD burner to a 56x: 67% faster may seem impressive, but the actual time saved is a few seconds and hardly noticeable in one's daily routine.

Similar logic applies to security. Is the iPad browser extra vulnerable?

An app, in my opinion, wouldn't solve any existing problems. The browser should suffice.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    That's all well and good, but I ca't really imagine that many Apple customers like to use Google for anything.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

That's all well and good, but I ca't really imagine that many Apple customers like to use Google for anything.

Not true; I use Google every day, advertise with Google Adwords, and have lots of clients who use Google Mail.

But calling an iPhone app an iPad app? Please. Portrait mode only, narrow keyboard, or use it in 1X and have a tiny display?

Just because the rather mediocre iPhone app runs on the iPad, it's NOT an iPad app. I'm extremely disappointed.

If Google is serious about Plus, they need to release a REAL iPad ap, and soon. The mobile web app stinks, and the desktop version of the web app doesn't work on the iPad.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Very good question. I don't see much difference in either convenience or capabilities with G+ on the web (on the iPad) versus G+ as an app.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    is it just me or am i the only one puzzled with the comment "Lion Support" for the Skype 5.3 released on monday ?

I have been using skype 5.2.... since lion came out and had no issues - anyone aware of what "support" they refer to ?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brunott View Post

is it just me or am i the only one puzzled with the comment "Lion Support" for the Skype 5.3 released on monday ?

I have been using skype 5.2.... since lion came out and had no issues - anyone aware of what "support" they refer to ?

new ringtone option of Lion roaring.