Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
what the freakin' is an error type 2?

is that a lack of memory? or what?!

come on guys, help me out here

NOW!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Usually this occurs when an app tries to use memory it doesn't have or is not entitled to. Under OS 9x the solution was to assign more memory to the app. OS X is supposed to take care of this all by itself.

For apps in OS 9x, the proceedure is:

Single-click the icon of the program whose memory you want to increase.

Press CMD + I to open the "get info" box. A right-click with your two button mouse will yeild a menu that gives you the same thing.

Under "get info" go to memory to see the app's assigned memory, both minimum and preferred. Change the bottom one first. I give control panels like software update 10 MB, and apps like MS Word 25 MB.

They run better and I never get type2 errors anymore.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    so, it needs more memory
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Yup. With RAM being so cheap now I have 1 GB in my Yosemite. That way I can give IE 100 MB, and 250 MB to Photoshop. Rediculous? Perhaps. But I sleep better.

• Reply 4 of 6
    That's not true. It's essentially bad programming. It's a program trying to access memory that either: a. doesn't exist or b. doesn't belong to the program

Basically what that means is the program is trying to access a piece of memory that it can't find. That's not supposed to happen. So it pukes.

Error 2 is dsAddressErr: address error

edit: More memory never hurts, though.

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: iNub ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 6
    first gen iMac....
  • Reply 6 of 6
    &lt;----- Beige G3, 32MB RAM... IE giving type 2 errors...

must.... get.... back.... to.... G4.... at.... school.... 640MB RAM.... too.... tempting.... AARRGGHH!!!!