Apple adds Mac OS X Lion compatibility to Leopard Migration Assistant

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple has issued an update to Migration Assistant for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, allowing Leopard users to transfer data, settings and applications to new Macs running Mac OS X Lion.

Issued on Wednesday, Migration Assistant Update for Mac OS X Leopard resolves an issue that prevented the tool from transferring data to the latest version of Mac OS X, which Apple released in July. The update is a 4.98MB download and requires Mac OS X 10.5.8.

Users should take note, though, that Mac OS X Lion drops support for the Rosetta emulation environment, so any migrated PowerPC applications will not run on the new OS.

Apple released a Migration Assistant Update for Snow Leopard in July, ahead of Lion's arrival on the Mac App Store. The company has also added support for Windows PCs to Migration Assistant in Lion, enabling PC users to more easily make the switch to Mac OS X.

The Cupertino, Calif., Mac maker has been doing some minor housekeeping for Lion this week. On Monday, Apple issued a Lion Recovery Disk Assistant tool that allows the creation of a Recovery Disk on external drives.

Mac OS X Lion has seen early success, with first day downloads exceeding the one million mark. Despite encountering a few minor bugs and glitches in Lion, reviewers have praised the upgrade as a "big leap" into the post-PC iPad era.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    jdlinkjdlink Posts: 50member
    The reason I have a computer that's running Leopard is that it's got a PPC processor. Don't know why I got the software update notice because I couldn't use it if I wanted to.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    You might want to, if you were to purchase a new Mac with Lion - the update would allow you to migrate directly from your Leopard PPC Mac, in one go to the new Mac. That's it's purpose.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Just got a new 27" iMac for my birthday yesterday. Tried to migrate data from my alienware area 51 to the Mac using migration asst. Tried via wifi and CAT 5 cable. Both failed when the PC continually waited to be recognized by the Mac. Hmmmmmm.

Maybe this update will alleviate the problem. Migration assistant sounds nice in theory. Would be nicer if it actually worked.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    What about Migration Assistant in Lion? Wouldn't using that be sufficient?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anthracite View Post

Just got a new 27" iMac for my birthday yesterday. Tried to migrate data from my alienware area 51 to the Mac using migration asst. Tried via wifi and CAT 5 cable. Both failed when the PC continually waited to be recognized by the Mac. Hmmmmmm.

Maybe this update will alleviate the problem. Migration assistant sounds nice in theory. Would be nicer if it actually worked.

And, is your Alienware is running OS X?

If not, you would need a different solution for that migration.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has issued an update to Migration Assistant for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, allowing Leopard users to transfer data, settings and applications to new Macs running Mac OS X Lion.

OK, all well and good, but, if I get a new Mac this year (and this seems to be a good year for it), it'll replace an oft-upgraded machine maxed out on Jaguar. I have many vintage computing friends, too, who would appreciate help at least back through Tiger.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeltaMac View Post

And, is your Alienware is running OS X?

If not, you would need a different solution for that migration.

Uh... You've been able to transfer from Windows for a good long while.

• Reply 8 of 10
    Rosetta isn't emulation and it isn't an environment. lol. It's a system which intercepted PowerPC processor instructions and translated them on-the-fly to Intel instructions.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flowney View Post

What about Migration Assistant in Lion? Wouldn't using that be sufficient?

This migration assistant update for Leopard is only significant if you want to do a network migration (e.g. Ethernet or WiFi) from a Mac running Leopard to a Mac running Lion.

Presumably there was something that Lion changed in the network migration protocol which required the older migration assistants to be updated. Snow Leopard had a similar update three weeks ago.

If you do a migration over Firewire, with the source computer in Firewire Target Mode, then this update is not necessary.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Whilst on the subject of Lion, is anyone else finding scrolling in Safari with the Magic Mouse almost unusable? Basically the only way I can scroll is to lift my 2nd finger off the mouse. If I leave it sitting on the mouse (in its normal position), then attempting to scroll with my index finger takes between 4 and 5 scrolling movements before it registers.

Insanely annoying.