Function keys on iBook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My desktop Windows PC at my office is completely dead, so I'm trying to get my new iBook 600 to get me access to our Unix system via Telnet. Usually we use a terminal emulation program, SmartTerm, in Windows.

I've tried three different Telnet programs in OS9, as well as Telnet at the command line in OSX, and I'm having the same problem no matter what I do -- the Function keys.

I know about going into the Keyboard control panel and de-activating Hot Function Keys, but that doesn't do the trick.

Using Fn-Function or Option-Function or Fn-Option-Function (or any other combination of command, option, shift, control, or Fn I can think of) doesn't make any difference. Well, it makes a difference whether the F4 key turns down the volume on the iBook or not, but it doesn't send a valid F4 signal via Telnet.

Either these function keys aren't working at all, or an "F4" function key on a Mac sends a different key code than an "F4" function key on a PC. The system I have to access relies heavily on F1, F4 and F8. Anybody have any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Oh, I should add that I have no problem connecting to the Unix server with any of these methods. I can connect and access any of the menus I need to, unless Function key entry is involved. Unfortunately, F4 is how you get out of any given screen, so without F4 I'm completely stuck.