Apple begins trial production of A6 processor set to launch in 2012

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's next-generation A6 processor, expected to arrive in future versions of the iPad and iPhone, is said to have gone into trial production ahead of a launch expected in the first half of 2012.

Citing industry sources, Taiwan Economic News reported Friday that Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. has started trial production of the A6 in cooperation with Apple. Production design is scheduled to be finalized in the first quarter of 2012, while the chip will be publicly unveiled, likely in a third-generation iPad, no earlier than the second quarter of 2012.

If accurate, the report could quash persistent speculation that Apple plans to launch a third-generation iPad later this year, assuming such a device would run the next-generation A6 processor.

The ARM-based A6 is said to incorporate TSMC's 28-nanometer process and 3D stacking technology. The chipmaker's "silicon interposer" and "bump on trace" methods are also said to be utilized in the next-generation chip.

Trial manufacturing of the A6 processor was originally claimed by Reuters to have begun in July, when it was also indicated the chips would make their way into devices in 2012. Both reports have pegged TSMC as the manufacturer, lending credence to rumors that Apple is looking to move away from Samsung, which has built its A4 and A5 processors.

Samsung and Apple are currently engaged in a fierce legal battle that recently led sales of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 to be banned in both Europe and Australia. Apple has accused Samsung of copying the look and feel of its popular iPhone and iPad products, while Samsung has responded in kind with its own patent infringement lawsuit.

Friday's report said sources indicated TSMC has been capable of producing processors for Apple, but the manufacturer was held back by limited production lines. TSMC is also a customer of Nvidia and Qualcomm.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    Gee thanks, AI. Now we will all be disappointed with our A5 iPhone 5's.

I'm kidding, of course! Technology does change fast, though.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    My bet is that iPad 3 will come out next fall. Component upgrades seem to necessitate it, and it's not like other tablets are giving Apple much competition. Also would put it in a better sales position being the holiday upgrade, like iPods.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    What's that? The iPad 3 won't be able to be released this year?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. REALLY.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Did that huge image of an A5 add anything to the story? It's square and grey and has an Apple logo. Wow.

It seems odd that Apple would be "going into production" for a chip that won't go into anything for 6+ months.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Did that huge image of an A5 add anything to the story? It's square and grey and has an Apple logo. Wow.

It seems odd that Apple would be "going into production" for a chip that won't go into anything for 6+ months.

Everyone likes a picture, and I think you missed out on the word "trial" right before the word "production."
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Quote:

"trial production"

Oops... Prof. Peabody beat me to it.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    If Samsung think Apple forcing blocks on the Tab is going to cost them, it's nothing compared to what they will lose if Apple do shift to TSMC for the A6.

Samsung have built entire fabs pretty much solely for the purpose of producing logic for Apple. At around $5bn for a fab, it's a lot of money to be sitting idle.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

If Samsung think Apple forcing blocks on the Tab is going to cost them, it's nothing compared to what they will lose if Apple do shift to TSMC for the A6.

Samsung have built entire fabs pretty much solely for the purpose of producing logic for Apple. At around $5bn for a fab, it's a lot of money to be sitting idle.

Samsung will need them when they start copying the A6.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Quote:

Forgive me of my lack of knowledge of silicon production, but I believe trial production is vastly different from full production. I'd assume trial production means this company is testing how fast they can make chips within a reasonable error rate. They may find an error that may cause them to have to retool the entire factory and set them back months or force Apple to find another supplier.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What's that? The iPad 3 won't be able to be released this year?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. REALLY.

I never believed those rumors anyway. Sheesh. There is such a thing as a product cycle.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

The lines Apple is currently using for A5 & A4 would never have been used to build the A6 anyway as they are 45nm lines and not 28nm. By the time the A6 is in production the output of those lines would always have been switched to some other lower cost device, likely from some other OEM.

The overall contract foundry market is huge and while Samsung may have to drop their margins a little to attract new custom it's very unlikely that their new 28nm lines will be sat empty - even if Apple goes 100% TSMC. From Apple's perspective, two suppliers are a lot better than one, so it's quite likely they'll continue to use Samsung, even if they send the bulk of their business to Taiwan instead of Korea.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    TSMC is also a customer of Nvidia and Qualcomm.

Or did you ment supplier?
  • Reply 13 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I'm just waiting for Audi to sue ...
  • Reply 14 of 44
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

By tweaked I'm thinking a process shrink possibly to 32nm. Currently the A5 is a little warm for a phone so a shrink would take care of that. I was actually surprised to find out, via the teardown sites, that the A5 is apparently built on the same process technology as the A4.

I forget what the power delta is with Samsung but if they save 20% that would be very significant for the iPhone. Experience with my iPhone 4 tells me that it can get very warm at times. I've heard that the processor can max out at two watts which is actually pretty hot for a mobile device. So I can see them trying to push tech along for iPhone 5.

On top of all of that we have had rumors in the past that Apple now has two development teams working on SoCs. One apparently targeting handheld devices and the other going after tablets. Frankly I don't know if this is true but it would make sense to me. Mainly it makes sense because of different performance expectations.

Exciting times!
  • Reply 15 of 44
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    By that I mean Samsung has more or less gone into partnership here with Apple. We don't know the nature of that partnership nor who owns what.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

The lines Apple is currently using for A5 & A4 would never have been used to build the A6 anyway as they are 45nm lines and not 28nm. By the time the A6 is in production the output of those lines would always have been switched to some other lower cost device, likely from some other OEM.

While this is true in the sense of process shrinks, Apple might take the attitude that the line should be scraped.

Quote:

The overall contract foundry market is huge and while Samsung may have to drop their margins a little to attract new custom it's very unlikely that their new 28nm lines will be sat empty - even if Apple goes 100% TSMC.

Currently it is my understanding that Apple is greater than 80% of Samsungs foundry business. That is a very serious loss.

Quote:

From Apple's perspective, two suppliers are a lot better than one, so it's quite likely they'll continue to use Samsung, even if they send the bulk of their business to Taiwan instead of Korea.

This is an important point. Some of the recent sad events in Asia highlight the need to manage risks. Beyond that there is a big issue simply with capacity, if they are using close to 100% of Samsungs capacity they really have no choice but to spread out a bit.

Sometimes I think people read to much into these moves. Apple has been ramping production as fast as they can remove the various bottle necks. I really don't think they want a processor bottleneck, so this is really just being prudent.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I never believed those rumors anyway. Sheesh. There is such a thing as a product cycle.

Good, someone else sane.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Samsung will need them when they start copying the A6.

The A4 was a slightly modified copy of the Samsung Hummingbird. Samsung got Intrinsity to help with the design of it before there was ever an A4 version of it. Apple liked it so much they later bought Intrinsity.

Hummingbird announced by Samsung July 27, 2009

A4 announced by Steve on January 27, 2010
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

The A4 was a slightly modified copy of the Samsung Hummingbird. Samsung got Intrinsity to help with the design of it before there was ever an A4 version of it. Apple liked it so much they later bought Intrinsity.

Hummingbird announced by Samsung July 27, 2009

A4 announced by Steve on January 27, 2010

Oh... and manufactured by who, or did you mention that?

... and Intrinsity designed the Hummingbird chip and collaborated with Samsung for the manufacturing.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

While this is true in the sense of process shrinks, Apple might take the attitude that the line should be scraped.

Can't imagine why. While Apple may front suppliers money to build new capacity they don't afaik own the capacity, just have exclusive use for a while. Besides, from Apple's perspective it's now a line that makes chips that don't really compete with it - the 45nm lines will go to making things like chips for PMPs, eBook readers, bluetooth peripherals etc. etc. In a year's time Apple will take the view that anybody using a 45nm SoC in a premium smartphone is hopelessly quaint.

Quote:

Currently it is my understanding that Apple is greater than 80% of Samsungs foundry business. That is a very serious loss.

Definitely! But on the flipside, whenever one client is 80% of your business you've already screwed up. From Samsung's perspective the diversification may be almost as beneficial as it is from Apple's. There are only 3 foundries even playing at 32nm or 28nm so I doubt that Samsung will lack business.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/d...s_Company.html

Quote:

This is an important point. Some of the recent sad events in Asia highlight the need to manage risks. Beyond that there is a big issue simply with capacity, if they are using close to 100% of Samsungs capacity they really have no choice but to spread out a bit.

Exactly, and even without a natural disaster it's very easy for a single supplier to have issues due to contamination. We could even see one of the big foundries fumble a process transition, so relying entirely on one just doesn't seem smart.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

I still don't know what capabilities even the A5 will bring to an iPhone -- above faster, better graphics for gaming.

I have an iP4 and it does everything I need a phone to do, as well as can be done (within current cell limitations).

Now, the iPad with the larger form factor is a different story altogether.