Cold water poured on rumors of Sept 7 Apple media event

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
An Apple media event looks unlikely to happen on Sept. 7, with a new report claiming the company has no plans for that particular day.

The well-sourced Jim Dalrymple at The Loop reported on Friday that he was told by sources that Apple will not have an event on Sept. 7, nor will it launch its next-generation iPhone.

"It's hard to say how that specific date was chosen by the sites that started the rumor, other than it fits into the timeline of previous Apple events," he wrote. "Typically Apple uses its September event to launch new iPods for the Christmas shopping season, but it is widely expected that the company will use this year's event to launch a new iPhone.

The report offered no indication of when Apple might in fact hold such an event. But it did specifically dispute a previous rumor that Apple would hold an event on Sept. 7, started by Japanese Mac site Kodawarisan.

Last year's iPod media event was held on Sept. 1, and previous events were also held in the first week of the month. But 2011 is already unique, as it is the first time Apple did not launch a new iPhone in the U.S. in the June-July timeframe.

Rumors this year are scattershot, with some claims that the next iPhone will launch in September, and others expecting the new hardware to go on sale in October. There have also been conflicting reports with regard to the fifth-generation iPhone hardware, as some rumors have called for a minor upgrade to the iPhone 4, while others have suggested it could be a significant revision with a new design and thinner form factor.

Lending support to rumors that the new hardware will sport a different design, numerous cases from third-party manufacturers have appeared in China, suggesting the device will sport curved sides with a flat back. The next iPhone is also expected to feature the dual-core A5 processor already at use in the iPad 2, as well as a higher resolution 8 megapixel camera.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    After getting tired of all the waiting I finally sold my two old 3GS iPhones and bought a slightly used iPhone 4 with extended Applecare. I don' t really care when the iPhone 5 comes out now. My money is going towards a iPad at this point.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    Rumors just ain't what they used to be these days......
  • Reply 3 of 21
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

After getting tired of all the waiting I finally sold my two old 3GS iPhones and bought a slightly used iPhone 4 with extended Applecare. I don' t really care when the iPhone 5 comes out now. My money is going towards a iPad at this point.

I'm expecting to skip the iPhone-5 at this point. If it does end up looking anything like the renders we've seen recently then it's a step back in terms of aesthetics from the 4. I skipped the 3G and 3GS, so I'll happily wait till the iP-6 or 7 if need be.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xgman View Post

Rumors just ain't what they used to be these days......

• Reply 5 of 21
    Was there some sort of Apple rumour deadline today? Everyone has to get their iOS rumours in before midnight or else... um, something bad happens?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Less curious about the iPhone 5 than I am about the possibility of plans to make the iPod Nano a full-up iOS device, perhaps even with bluetooth. The little sucker is wearable, and thrid parties are making it into a watch. It opens up new device ideas - say, as a cyclometer (as some have already adapted the iPhone/Touch to.) Imagine a nano with a GPS chip as a iOS device and some sort of i/o supported protocol, like BT or ANT+ sport. It quickly becomes more than just a music player.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    The only thing that will convince me to sell my iPhone 4 at this point is a 3G enabled iPod Touch. Right now my phone is a 2nd phone on a family line with a the 2GB plan. Total cost is $55.00 a month ($25 data + $10 texting +$10 minutes upgrade from single 450 mins to family 550 mins + $10 add a phone fee). If the iPod Touch 5g has 3G I will sell the iPhone 4 and switch to a $25.00 / 2GB data plan (assuming it is the same as the iPad plan). Total cost $30.00 ($25.00 data + $5.00 Skype phone number + free iMessage + free Google Voice SMS).

I will be happy to save $25.00 a month considering how little I use the phone. Come on Apple, don't make us wait another year for a 3G enabled iPod Touch!
  • Reply 8 of 21
    msuberlymsuberly Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I will be happy to save $25.00 a month considering how little I use the phone. Come on Apple, don't make us wait another year for a 3G enabled iPod Touch!

It would be nice...thinner, cheaper and with more storage. However, IMO your savings are exactly why the carriers will not support a 3G iPod Touch.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    So a rumor tells us that the previous rumor was wrong. How shocking.

Also Jim and his implication that September will be about the iPhone and not the iPods could prove wrong. It could be both. Changes to the iPods are likely to be scant, particularly with the shuffle, nano and classic. In fact it is possible there won't be any changes at all. Perhaps the classic might be moved to a 128 solid state drive to match the rest, but not even be brought up in the event which would focus on as all handful of changes to iTunes, announcing the official launch for icloud and/or iTunes match and the new iOS hardware with the touch launching same day and the iPhone being announced for a date a couple of weeks later (just in time to get the launch weekend numbers in for the current quarter.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    I would guess Apple fed the rumor to make Samsung set a date for the US S2 announcement. It worked, now Apple can act accordingly.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

So a rumor tells us that the previous rumor was wrong. How shocking.

Also Jim and his implication that September will be about the iPhone and not the iPods could prove wrong. ...

I don't see where he said or implied that. Also a rumour from "his sources" kind of trumps other rumours in that Apple has used him in the past to distribute corrections to rampant (incorrect) rumours.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

It would be nice...thinner, cheaper and with more storage. However, IMO your savings are exactly why the carriers will not support a 3G iPod Touch.

Then at least come out with the iPhone on Sprint / Sprint prepaid carriers! I would love to pay the $25 a month that I pay right now for my LG Optimus V on Virgin Mobile.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    I think Apple is b.s.'ing around with their customers and are having some problem(s) on their end that they're keeping quiet. First the normal June/July... then rumored for September, now October! If they keep pushing it back and not telling the public what's going on people will give up and just wait until next summer (if they get back on the summer iPhone release schedule). I really think they are having some major problem in getting things done for iP5 and struggling to get it fixed for launch. Along with a coworker I am not going to waste my money on this eventual release and stick with our 3GS's and wait for the iPhone "6" in hopes it is on Verizon LTE. Apple still on 3G is kind of sad, at least should be on the fake 4G (3.5G).

Hope they get back on schedule next summer, not good to have iPad in April-ish then nothing new until September/October every year (by new I mean iPad and iPhone/iPod).

Bad planning all around by Apple...

...to ME!!!!
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

I think Apple is b.s.'ing around with their customers and are having some problem(s) on their end that they're keeping quiet. First the normal June/July... then rumored for September, now October! If they keep pushing it back and not telling the public what's going on people will give up and just wait until next summer (if they get back on the summer iPhone release schedule). I really think they are having some major problem in getting things done for iP5 and struggling to get it fixed for launch. Along with a coworker I am not going to waste my money on this eventual release and stick with our 3GS's and wait for the iPhone "6" in hopes it is on Verizon LTE. Apple still on 3G is kind of sad, at least should be on the fake 4G (3.5G).

Hope they get back on schedule next summer, not good to have iPad in April-ish then nothing new until September/October every year (by new I mean iPad and iPhone/iPod).

Bad planning all around by Apple...

...to ME!!!!

individual customers (even in pairs) don't matter to apple... but leaks do.

You can take the other tack and see that Apple could be seeding these dates out and seeing which/when they leak, isolating the guilty culprits.

As for your planning, I'm sure Apple will sell the 2 iPhone5s they had built for you to someone else.;-). Honestly, if the 3GSs are doing the job, stick with them. Only buy when you need something.

Which reminds me, I need to buy Macbook memory.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    My prediction is Sep. 13 or 14 for new iPods.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Barenaked Ladies?Moonstone

Cold water will wave you goodbye, but you're never gone from me...

Could be later than usual because of the lack of old-stock-clearing-out that usually goes on.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoffeeMac View Post

My prediction is Sep. 13 or 14 for new iPods.

They need to overhaul the iPod line. It has had too many odd design decisions - fat, tall, square, buttons/no buttons.

They have the Shuffle at $49 and the Nano at $150 for 8GB and $180 for 16GB. Then they have the iPod Classic at $250.

Sales are at their lowest in 5 years and 17% down from last year:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...music-industry

The iPod Classic is easy. It gets discontinued and replaced by the iPod Touch (which estimates say make up half of the iPod sales now) with up to 128GB of storage. It's not as good value storage-wise but it's time to ditch the classic and people will just get used to syncing a bit more often.

The Shuffle and Nano both seem wrong.

I don't think many people these days want a music player without a display, especially not at $50. Having to blindly shuffle through hundreds of songs just isn't nice. I also don't think a square screen works well either when it comes to long playlists. I'd rather the Nano went back to the tall version without the click-wheel.

It would look something like this:

Having a camera is ok because although they get banned at gyms, it's only from the locker rooms not the workout area. It can also have typing capability but in landscape only and the keyboard modified to have 3 rows - the mockup shows the iPhone buttons at full size.

Given that the current Nano is $150, they probably couldn't get the price lower than that - it would be good to have a $99 model and nothing lower. If people want a cheap iPod, they can get a $10-20 cheap MP3 player.

This iPod could have data access like the iPad but possibly not calling capability or it could be wifi-only. The screen is the same aspect as the iPhone so could run any of the apps and the resolution could be the same as the original iPhone (480 x 320). Spec could be around the 3G iPhone - no multitasking.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i think nothing till samsung gal 2 comes out

shows how much they copy apple

samsung must have a mole in apple and at it suppliers
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

i think nothing till samsung gal 2 comes out

shows how much they copy apple

samsung must have a mole in apple and at it suppliers

Not sure you're in the right thread.

To suggest that Apple would hold off a product release until a competitor releases a product of their own is hilarious.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not sure you're in the right thread.

To suggest that Apple would hold off a product release until a competitor releases a product of their own is hilarious.

its sarcasm

you are discussing how 9/7 is NOT the release date, some articles have suggested that samsung gal 2 is coming out late august therefore apple will follow

apple leads others follow