What's wrong and how do I fix it?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
IE5 can't remember any passwords, so each time I enter a site I have to re-type username and passwords. That's not all It also wants warns me that I am sending data over an insecure connection but it refuses to remember that I have switched the warning off.

The OS can't seem to remember my default email client and always reverts to outlook express which I don't use.

I have tried trashing the IE control pannel, I have also trashed explorer preferences but It has made no difference.

I have a gut feeling that these two issues are related but I can't think how.

I am using an iMac DV+ 450 512mb.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    And 9.2.1.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Mail client preferences are stored in the "internet preferences" file (formerly internet config). There's a lot of settings in there. Not sure what it reverts to if you trash them...

This is a bit of a cludge but if you really don't use OE you could just delete it. It could revert to it then could it?

I don't think that default email app is related to the other IE problem as I would agree that passwords and form alert preferences are probably stored elsewhere...

Tho it's possible that a single crash brought both down or that disk corruption has slammed both of them.

Hope this helps.