Apple to build 26M fifth-gen iPhones in second half of 2011

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is reportedly prepared to build a massive 56 million iPhones in the second half of 2011, with more than half of those being the new fifth-generation model.

Citing supply chain sources in Taiwan, DigiTimes reported on Monday that Apple has increased its iPhone orders for the rest of the year by between 12 percent and 13 percent. Originally, the company planned to build about 50 million of its hot-selling smartphone.

With more than 56 million units said to be in the pipeline in the remainder of 2011, between 25.5 million and 26 million of those are said to be the anticipated fifth-generation model.

iPhone 5 orders for the third quarter of the calendar year are said to be between 5.5 million and 6 million units, a number that was adjusted slightly lower. But orders in the fourth quarter have allegedly been raised from 14 million units to more than 20 million.

The remainder of Apple's 56-million-plus handsets will be the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, including the CDMA model compatible with Verizon's network. Together, those devices will exceed 20 million in the third quarter and just 8 million in the fourth quarter.

In all, Apple is said to be prepared to build 95 million iPhone units in calendar 2011. So far, the company has reported sales of 20.34 million units and 18.65 million iPhones in the first two quarters of calendar 2011.

The massive iPhone build numbers said to be in the works for the remainder of 2011 would put Apple in spitting distance of the 100 million milestone in a 12-month span. During his company's quarterly earnings conference call in July, Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook revealed that more than 222 million iOS devices had been sold since the first iPhone launched in 2007.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Only 6 million iPhone 5s in calendar Q3? That seems low, if that's true we'll be looking at another mother of all backlogs in the first month after launch. Unless we're really not getting the iPhone 5 till October, then it might make sense.

Also interesting that this rumour seems to be implying that the 3GS will still be in production in Q4, I was expecting that they'd start to limit supply this quarter and kill it when they launch the 5. There have been rumours that supply was already being shut off for the 3GS.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/07/30/iphone...ion-this-fall/
  • Reply 2 of 12
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Interesting, figures seem really low for this year. I had hoped that Apple was waiting until October so that, for once, they would actually have a reasonable amount of stock on hand for launch day.

I guess it's going to be the usual Apple launch then.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Interesting math for those numbers... I would really love to see how 26M is "more than half" of 56M?!?!
  • Reply 4 of 12
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Since everyone knows that the fifth gen iPhone is coming out, why doesn't Apple announce what all it will be able to do and when we can get it? I realize they have to keep their cards close to their vest, but seems like all of this chatter about the new phone would already be slowing current iPhone sales. I'm sure there are people not upgrading their current phones and waiting for the 5. If they announced it today, I'd preorder it yesterday...that is how bad I want the new one
  • Reply 5 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

Since everyone knows

Because they don't. And that's not how Apple works. Google "Osborne 1".

Quote:

slowing current iPhone sales.

No, not really.

Quote:

I'm sure there are people not upgrading their current phones and waiting for the 5.

Here. And on MacRumors. THAT'S IT. No one else really cares at all. Tech aficionados are few and far between. 90% of iPhone users couldn't care less (and don't have a clue) about the new model.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

seems like all of this chatter about the new phone would already be slowing current iPhone sales.

The only thing that will significantly slow sales is when they turn off the supply spigot for a model, which they may have already done for the 3GS.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Since everyone knows that the fifth gen iPhone is coming out, why doesn't Apple announce what all it will be able to do and when we can get it? I realize they have to keep their cards close to their vest, but seems like all of this chatter about the new phone would already be slowing current iPhone sales. I'm sure there are people not upgrading their current phones and waiting for the 5. If they announced it today, I'd preorder it yesterday...that is how bad I want the new one

I know 5 people have purchased a 4 in the past 6 weeks. Two ugrades from 3G and 3 new to the iPhone. They really didn't care about the 5 coming out. I have recommended they wait and find a 16GB 4 for $99 once the 5 comes out but even then no interest to wait.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

It would be the rare consumer that sits around being concerned about build numbers. Can you imagine yourself reading articles about how many toasters are being built in the next quarter? Most people are honestly just concerned about their everyday normal lives. New girlfriend, an annoying boss, traffic delays, cost of gasoline, etc. Except for analysts and Apple and suppliers, who really gives a damn. In the scheme of things, what does it matter whether Apple builds out 20 million or 26 million iPhones. If there are delays due to shortages or much higher demand, all plans will go down the tubes. It only matters that Apple can sell every iPhone they make no matter how many they make. Don't think some rumor of 26 million iPhone 5s being built is going to help Apple's share price, either. It won't. Wall Street is already figuring out ways to devalue Apple shares no matter how many iPhones are sold. Nothing Apple does is going to be a shoe-in for a fairly-valued share price.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Only 6 million iPhone 5s in calendar Q3? That seems low, if that's true we'll be looking at another mother of all backlogs in the first month after launch. Unless we're really not getting the iPhone 5 till October, then it might make sense.

Actually, 6 million iPhone 5s is a very credible number if it launches in the second half of September. 6 million is probably Apple's launch inventory for a few countries, less than a week's supply.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

seems like all of this chatter about the new phone would already be slowing current iPhone sales.

Only geeks hear the chatter. The iPhone is not for geeks, it is for average people. Geeks are Fandroids for the most part.

Regular people don't pay attention to the tech rumor mill.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

You don't know much about the people who buy iPhones. They're regular folks, not geeks. Geeks buy Android handsets.

That's why Apple sold a record 20 million iPhones last quarter even though geeks are expecting a new iPhone model Any Day Now (TM).

Only a few people (readers at AI, MacRumors, Engadget, etc.) follow tech rumors. Regular people don't follow tech gossip, don't really care about when the new iPhone is coming out. They only care about what's on the store shelf right now.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    >>" prepared to build a massive 56 million iPhones in the second half of 2011, with more than half of those being the new fifth-generation model..."

half of 56 million is 28 million. the headline says "Apple to build 26M fifth-gen iPhones in second half of 2011..."

If the headline's correct, then the lede should have said "less than half of those being the new fifth-generation model". And if the lede's correct, then the headline should have declared not 26M, but some number greater than 28M. Mistakes like this make one uneasy about the accuracy of the rest of the story. The original article appeared more than 13 hours ago and this hasn't been fixed yet. Am I overlooking something, mis-reading the article somehow?

I bitch because I rely on AI and a few other apple-oriented sites, and I want the best from them. If I didn't value the site I wouldn't bother complaining.