Google announces plans to acquire Motorola Mobility for $12.5B

Comments

• Reply 81 of 236
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

Yes, I remember how "Playforsure" worked out for Microsoft and their partners at the time.

Can't see HTC, Samsung etc being too happy about this, they may well move over to MS WP7 now.

Why? So they can pay for an OS from another patent owning company that has previously shown they are willing to develop their own hardware and compete with their partners (Zune) where google has not?
  • Reply 82 of 236
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

Yes, I remember how "Playforsure" worked out for Microsoft and their partners at the time.

Can't see HTC, Samsung etc being too happy about this, they may well move over to MS WP7 now.

And try to compete as an equal partner with the Nokia/Microsoft alliance?

And IMHO, Nokia will be purchased by MS within a year anyway. With HTC incredibly successful with their Android phone strategy, I would expect them to follow the advice in my signature.
  • Reply 83 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

maybe. Or maybe Apple believes the patents acquired from Nortel give them equal leverage. That is the only good part about the big boys acquiring massive IP right now. If they all have patents everyone else needs, then eventually they have to settle with each other and cross license. Anything else would be insane, though obviously they could all sue each other forever. Mutually ensured destruction, indeed.

Apple can not have equal leverage if Android has already more than twice the market share of iOS. Apple, MS, RIM and others have spent big bucks already to ensure that Android is not free. Well, now it looks like Android may well remain free and then some. Apple might have to pay more royalties to Android than the other way around.

We'll see... but, imo, Google just made the rest of the industry look like chumps...
  • Reply 84 of 236
    rasimorasimo Posts: 61member
    Quote:

Google has no interest in the hardware. This is why they are clear that moto will be run as a separate entity. Of course the patents will be transferred to google en masse. I don't think goog will even care if moto runs themselves out of business or maybe they will sell the corpse, sans patents, to an interested partner for the manufacturing and engineering experience that google has no interest in.

I agree, Google has no interest in running a money pit like Motorola. The MM executives were just executing their golden exit plan.
  • Reply 85 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

If Google bought Moto Mobility just to secure their patent portfolio, where will they capitalise on the purchase? Is there $12.5B in suing Apple for infringement wherever they can and in giving Fandroid driven hardware makers free access to the covered technology?

Perhaps Google has learned a lesson care of Apple. Apple of course, controls their hardware and OS. Perhaps Google has ambitions of becoming a hardware/OS company and of taking Apple on directly. A risky strategy, however, perhaps Google is out of options for reigning Apple in.

Two victims of this strategy would be the open, free Android mantra and the patents are evil and stifle innovation mantra. Of course, other manufacturers that depend on Android would become victims too, however, they will have seen the writing on the wall long before Android goes in-house and will have voluntarily moved on lol.

Why would Google move Android in-house. Right now they have a greater than 2 to 1 share over Apple. Why is that? ... because there are a multitude of handset makers using Android. The purchase of MM will just strengthen Google's position.

Do you really think that Google would move to an Apple type business plan seeing how much of a lock they already have on market share. This move is just to ensure that Android remains free. Google can make up that 12.5 billion in no time.
  • Reply 86 of 236
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    I didn't expect this to happen, but I'm not surprised!
  • Reply 87 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Apple can not have equal leverage if Android has already more than twice the market share of iOS. Apple, MS, RIM and others have spent big bucks already to ensure that Android is not free. Well, now it looks like Android may well remain free and then some. Apple might have to pay more royalties to Android than the other way around.

We'll see... but, imo, Google just made the rest of the industry look like chumps...

If Apple has the patents to disrupt the Android business, then they have leverage. Same goes for Google and iOS and WP7. Eventually, with such large patent holdings on all sides, something has to give. Imagine if they all decided to avoid settlements and push everything through the courts and the ITC. They could all get injunctions against each other's sales and end up with all parties having all of their stock sitting on the dock.
  • Reply 88 of 236
    Quote:

Sorry, I do not see where this is bad move for Apple. Google does not indemnify their Android customers so I don't see how this helps HTC. With the Motorola suit against Apple it is still mutually assured destruction. Apple may even be slightly ahead due to all the FRAND patents being held by Motorola. Again, will Motorola/Google continue this suit against Apple?
  • Reply 89 of 236
    Quote:

If Apple has the patents to disrupt the Android business, then they have leverage. Same goes for Google and iOS and WP7. Eventually, with such large patent holdings on all sides, something has to give. Imagine if they all decided to avoid settlements and push everything through the courts and the ITC. They could all get injunctions against each other's sales and end up with all parties having all of their stock sitting on the dock.

What??!! Imagine if Apple had to slow down its plan to push iOS... now imagine if it happens to Google... who's going to be hurt the most? Think about it.
  • Reply 90 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

The only thing of value to Google is the IP that MOTO holds for the mobility space. I was wondering tho if MOTO Mobility actually holds those patents or if they are held by Motorola Mobility or if they are held by Motorola Solutions and licensed to Moto Mob. It would be an egregious oversight by Google to have purchased Moto Mob for the IP if the IP was held and licensed from Moto Solutions.

And it may be that Google decided to step in and slap-down Moto Mob for trying to extort money from the other Android handset makers. What better way than to walk into the boradroom and say "stop it - we own you".

I wondered about the same thing -- which Motorola has the iP? Motorola goes back to the 1930s -- the early days of radio. I would be surprised if the parent company would sell its IP to MMI. It would be very difficult, expensive and time-consuming to review the entire IP portfolio to separate those applicable to MMI -- Rather, just agree on a high-level licensing deal.

Wouldn't it be sweet irony if what Google gets is no IP, rather just license to use Motorola Solutions IP...
  • Reply 91 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rasimo View Post

I agree, Google has no interest in running a money pit like Motorola. The MM executives were just executing their golden exit plan.

They played them like a fiddle. That Android extortion move was brilliant.
  • Reply 92 of 236
    Quote:

What??!! Imagine if Apple had to slow down its plan to push iOS... now imagine if it happens to Google... who's going to be hurt the most? Think about it.

I think if either is barred from selling their products, both would be hurt equally.
  • Reply 93 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I wondered about the same thing -- which Motorola has the iP? Motorola goes back to the 1930s -- the early days of radio. I would be surprised if the parent company would sell its IP to MMI. It would be very difficult, expensive and time-consuming to review the entire IP portfolio to separate those applicable to MMI -- Rather, just agree on a high-level licensing deal.

Wouldn't it be sweet irony if what Google gets is no IP, rather just license to use Motorola Solutions IP...

Please don't say that. The aftershocks from collective Android DOH will circle the world for weeks.
  • Reply 94 of 236
    Doesn't Google already have enough non-performing divisions, or enough autonomous teams (like those working on Android vs. Chrome OS) that are seemingly in conflict with one another?

This expensive purchase might make good sense if it were part of some well-thought-out, long-term strategy. But it feels more like an impulsive response to the big recent patent deal. Such a move may look bold and decisive, but to me it seems to reflect a lack of corporate focus.

Google's governing strategic principle these days seems to be: Do everything. Jump into every conceivable business at the same time -- even money-losing ones -- and hope to somehow monetize it all via ad sales, which is the company's only meaningful profit center. So now Google, having bloated up from a search company to a search/advertising company, then a search/advertising/software company, then a search/advertising/software/social-networking company, is now about to become a search/advertising/software/social-networking/hardware company. How soon do they buy a wireless carrier, or an automobile company, or a chain of hotels?

Meanwhile Apple, myopic as it is, contents itself with a highly focused and integrated line of products and sucks up 2/3 of the industry's profits.
  • Reply 95 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

I predict this move will squeeze out other Android licensees. There is a reason Microsoft did not build computers. I doubt this will have much effect on Apple.

it is a different space than the pc world was and Android being 'open' also changes things. android is getting muddied by all the oems dicking with the os and 'improving' it.

with this purchase google gets a reference for android that remains clear (it was the htc and then it became the samsung?? just crazy jumping all over the place)

oem willl still be able to do what they want with android and people will be able to go with that or go with the reference model (moto). google has a lot of people enamored with the brand. if moto succeeds then i see it being rebranded as Google.

this, like the nokia deal, has potential to succeed if handled well and the patents are a BIG deal.

google now needs to hire the understudy of jon ive and continue to 'innovate'.
  • Reply 96 of 236
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sumjuan View Post

Sorry, I do not see where this is bad move for Apple. Google does not indemnify their Android customers so I don't see how this helps HTC. With the Motorola suit against Apple it is still mutually assured destruction. Apple may even be slightly ahead due to all the FRAND patents being held by Motorola. Again, will Motorola/Google continue this suit against Apple?

Even if they did indemnify HTC and Samsung that still wouldn't protect them from attacks against their hardware designs or their extensions to Android. Even if Google is able to negotiate a full cross license with MS & Apple, that will still leave TouchWiz and Sense vulnerable.

Moto will definitely continue all its current suits, if they can win any injunctions then they are in a position to demand good cross license terms for Android.
  • Reply 97 of 236
    Quote:

I think if either is barred from selling their products, both would be hurt equally.

You're kidding, right?

Hmmmm... let's think about this.

Apple is a hardware/os comapny. Any slowdown of it's os would cripple its business.

Google is a search company that sells ads. Killing Android completely would do what? Cripple its business... hardly. Just a dent... that's it. Apple and MS are not allowed to stop Google search from being an option on their OS.
  • Reply 98 of 236
    Quote:

Google has just made it so that Steve might have to find a couple of other manufacturers for iOS.

There was no other company other than MM that is so cheap, has such brand recognition and has such a large patent portfolio.

This well could be the move that will be looked upon in 5 years as the point where iOS became truly marginalized.

Dumb, dumb move on Apple's part imo... but we'll all know within two years if that's the case.

Except, as others have mentioned, Apple would, likely, have encountered difficulties with the Justice Department. When a leading US manufacturer of mobile phones buys another leading US manufacturer of mobile phones -- it raises anti-trust, monopoly flags!

There's a classic Supreme Court ruling where an acquisition was prevented because the combined entity would tend to be a monopoly... AIR, it was in the 50s or 60s, concerning 2 California supermarket chains: Von's and Shopping Bag -- and the combined entity would control 7% of the marketplace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vons
  • Reply 99 of 236
    Quote:

You're kidding, right?

Hmmmm... let's think about this.

Apple is a hardware/os comapny. Any slowdown of it's os would cripple its business.

Google is a search company that sells ads. Killing Android completely would do what? Cripple its business... hardly. Just a dent... that's it. Apple and MS are not allowed to stop Google search from being an option on their OS.

To their overall businesses, yes, you are right, it would hurt Apple more. I was thinking more specifically to the platforms from both companies.
  • Reply 100 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sumjuan View Post

As I've said already... Google is a search company... they can drop Android tomorrow and live... can Apple drop iOS and still live.

Now Google will most likely have the ability to shake hands with Apple and call it a day... or Apple can continue to fight Android and have the possibility of Google asking for an injunction on Apple's products because of patents owned by MM.

Don't ever forget what I said above... Google is a search/ad company... Apple is the OS company.