Delta Airlines now testing Apple iPad as electronic flight bag

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Did the two of you somehow miss this paragraph in the story?

"Once the iPad testing is complete, the airline will swap Apple?s tablet with Android Honeycomb devices. 16 Motorola Xooms will then be used as EFBs in a new trial run starting with mid-September."

Yes, I did miss that. Thanks for pointing it out. Makes you go "hmmmm." But I take comfort from Addabox's post.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Yes, I did miss that. Thanks for pointing it out. Makes you go "hmmmm." But I take comfort from Addabox's post.

Very classy response.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Did the two of you somehow miss this paragraph in the story?

"Once the iPad testing is complete, the airline will swap Apple?s tablet with Android Honeycomb devices. 16 Motorola Xooms will then be used as EFBs in a new trial run starting with mid-September."

The thing is, airlines (and 98% of the entire aviation industry) pretty much rely on Jeppesson to provide charts at this point, whether paper or electronic.

The airlines, especially have a pretty close relationship with Jeppesson to the tune of customized and proprietary charts.

The iPad is the only tablet that Jepp has an App for AT THIS POINT. So until Jepp supports another OS, there really isn't an alternative to the iPad for this function as yet.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

The thing is, airlines (and 98% of the entire aviation industry) pretty much rely on Jeppesson to provide charts at this point, whether paper or electronic.

The airlines, especially have a pretty close relationship with Jeppesson to the tune of customized and proprietary charts.

The iPad is the only tablet that Jepp has an App for AT THIS POINT. So until Jepp supports another OS, there really isn't an alternative to the iPad for this function as yet.

You have to wonder what they're planning to do with the Xoom trial, then.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You have to wonder what they're planning to do with the Xoom trial, then.

It could be that Jepp has stuff in the works for other mobile OS's already... it would make sense. But right now, the iPad App is the only one they've released.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

It could be that Jepp has stuff in the works for other mobile OS's already... it would make sense. But right now, the iPad App is the only one they've released.

Yeah, that would be my read-- possibly under pressure from the carriers themselves, since they probably don't like the idea of single vendor sourcing.

BTW, that doesn't conflict with my idea that they're likely to settle on the iPad, it's just that everyone likes to have a plan B.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yeah, that would be my read-- possibly under pressure from the carriers themselves, since they probably don't like the idea of single vendor sourcing. ....

But they don't seem to have a problem with "single vendor sourcing" for their charts themselves. (Available from Jeppesson and nowhere else.)