Apple, Microsoft and Intel to bid on 15 million unit tablet deal

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple, Microsoft and Intel are considering making a bid for a Turkish government project that would see the winning company build and supply of up to 15 million tablets, over four years, to school children.

Turkish Trade Minister Zafer Caglayan told Anatolia news agency that the three companies are actively engaged in pursuing a bid for this government-funded project, called Fatih (Turkish for conqueror), according to Bloomberg.

Caglayan revealed that negotiations with Apple officials took place during his visit to the U.S. and noted that Apple as part of the deal would considering manufacturing various iPad and iPhone peripherals in Turkey, such as earphones and covers.

Rival companies Microsoft and Intel are also interested in the Fatih project, with Microsoft confirmed to make a visit to Turkey to learn more about this governmental initiative and Intel said to consider opening a research and development center in Turkey.

Another Turkish government official, Industry Minister Nihat Ergun, said, on July 13, that the winning company will have to build the 15 million tablets in Turkey.

Apple is known for outsourcing smartphone, tablet and computer contracts to Asian-based corporations where long-time partners like Foxconn and Pegatron are usually awarded production orders for Apple?s mobile devices. Foxconn is currently producing iPad 2 tablets and the Chinese supplier is also expected to start iOS tablet manufacturing in Brazil next month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64

AI had better follow up on this story once the winning bidder is announced.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    TBH let's look at the Players:

Apple- 2 succesful Tablets with worldwide Recognition and full integration with ease of Use.

Intel- The Meego Platform, which is a very nice OS and not hard to navigate around. The Problem? Intel can't build a tablet to save their lives. At least not using 3rd party OS's.

MS: Has yet to push their Tablet OS out and has no guarantees that what we see is what we are getting OR how much they will cost.

The safest bet would and most friendly would be Apple.

The most dangerous would be Intel, and MS acts as a nice buffer in between.
  • Reply 3 of 64
    Apple has a product to ship today... if they had to. iPads are already being used in schools.

What sort of Intel/Microsoft tablet are they talking about? Meego or Windows 8 ?
  • Reply 4 of 64
    They're schoolchildren. Schoolchildren. And immediately we've got huge corporations fighting to "snatch them up."

Shouldn't the government evaluate what the best tablet choice is rather than just going with the highest bidder?
  • Reply 5 of 64
    Last I checked, Microsoft and Intel don't even make their own tablets.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    ortort Posts: 39member
    Is it even possible for Apple to build the tablets in Turkey? I mean, I know it's possible, but why go through all the effort?
  • Reply 7 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple, Microsoft and Intel are considering making a bid for a Turkish government project that would see the winning company build and supply of up to 15 million tablets, over four years, to school children.

Turkish Trade Minister Zafer Caglayan told Anatolia news agency that the three companies are actively engaged in pursuing a bid for this government-funded project, called Fatih (Turkish for conqueror), according to Bloomberg.

Caglayan revealed that negotiations with Apple officials took place during his visit to the U.S. and noted that Apple as part of the deal would considering manufacturing various iPad and iPhone peripherals in Turkey, such as earphones and covers.

Rival companies Microsoft and Intel are also interested in the Fatih project, with Microsoft confirmed to make a visit to Turkey to learn more about this governmental initiative and Intel said to consider opening a research and development center in Turkey.

Another Turkish government official, Industry Minister Nihat Ergun, said, on July 13, that the winning company will have to build the 15 million tablets in Turkey.

Apple is known for outsourcing smartphone, tablet and computer contracts to Asian-based corporations where long-time partners like Foxconn and Pegatron are usually awarded production orders for Apple?s mobile devices. Foxconn is currently producing iPad 2 tablets and the Chinese supplier is also expected to start iOS tablet manufacturing in Brazil next month.

This sounds insane to me. Like that stupid OLPC thing that ultimately did nothing.

Turkey is one of the poorest countries on earth despite being part of the European Union. They'd be better off spending the money shoring up education and human rights (and women's rights and gay rights), than wasting money on tablets for kids that don't have enough to eat.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    Oh my god, Im ROTFL! MSFT & Intel??? Why not just buy all of the leftover Touchpads at a discount?
  • Reply 9 of 64
    The iPad would be the best fit IMHO!

MS would just wear down the tablet with its virus prone crap. And intel...I hear crickets.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soggybacon View Post

They're schoolchildren. Schoolchildren. And immediately we've got huge corporations fighting to "snatch them up."

Shouldn't the government evaluate what the best tablet choice is rather than just going with the highest bidder?

Welcome to the real world
  • Reply 11 of 64
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Never gonna happen.

Apple isn't going to build a factory in Turkey. They'll be lucky to get an Apple store.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This sounds insane to me. Like that stupid OLPC thing that ultimately did nothing.

Turkey is one of the poorest countries on earth despite being part of the European Union. They'd be better off spending the money shoring up education and human rights (and women's rights and gay rights), than wasting money on tablets for kids that don't have enough to eat.

LOL. I agree with your conclusion, but it's based on wrong facts. Turkey isn't one of the poorest countries in the world, and it isn't part of the EU.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/tu.html
  • Reply 13 of 64
    Quote:

No, Turkey is not part of European Union (you could ask Greece why, short answer Cyprus), but part of Turkey is in Europe.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I hope that Apple loses the bid. It doesn't sound like a good deal and with that amount of tablets, they can't be making that much profit. It sounds like Turkey wants whichever company who wins to bend over backwards and commit to ridiculous comprises. When I think of hi-tech, Turkey doesn't immediately pop into my mind. Apple doesn't need this deal. They should concentrate on their real customers with money to spend.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    I think HP should put in a bid. I understand they have some unsold tablets gathering dust.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soggybacon View Post

"Lowest bidder", not highest.

Could be a nice extra bit of business for Apple, but I'd want to get paid up front.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Sounds like Microsoft wants to ink a tablet deal with Turkey even though they don't have one, similar to the way they inked the DOS deal with IBM in 1980 even though they didn't have an operating system.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I don't think this is something that Apple, MS, or Intel particularly needs. If Turkey asks for a bid, why not put one in and see what happens. But its not something that will make or break either company.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Well, considering that the CIA Factbook ranks Turkey #94 in GDP per capita, and they list 227 total countries, I'd say "one of the poorest countries on Earth" is stretching it a bit.

But obviously, if they could get a major manufacturing deal like 15m iPads, that would go a long way toward improving the lives of many Turks.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I hope that Apple loses the bid. It doesn't sound like a good deal and with that amount of tablets, they can't be making that much profit. It sounds like Turkey wants whichever company who wins to bend over backwards and commit to ridiculous comprises. When I think of hi-tech, Turkey doesn't immediately pop into my mind. Apple doesn't need this deal. They should concentrate on their real customers with money to spend.

CNN International often runs commercials for how tech and business friendly Turkey is

They do the same for Macedonia and Kazakhstan as well, which are equally ridiculous.