AT&T exec reportedly tells staffers to prepare for early October iPhone 5 launch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar Saves View Post

Here it is, kids, the reason it is taking so long for Apple to introduce the next iPhone, is because they are developing the cellular communications chip themselves. Remember when it was rumored that they were working on a chip to do away with the sim cards now required to operate on some networks? Well they have actually been working on the complete communications chip so they won't be using a qualcomm or some other chip. They'll be using a completely programmable chip that they can set to work on whatever network they want it to work on... One phone, many networks...

You read it here first!

Well dog my cat! You're right, I read that rumor a while back. That's great but I wonder if you were to buy such a phone it would have to be unsubzsidized and full retail? I suppose it could be locked, and subsidized, but you know them hackers have pwened every one of them up until now.

I can't wait
  • Reply 22 of 34
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Geesh, OCTOBER NOW. Pathetic apple, this better be one hell of an update to the iphone.

I am really sick of waiting to upgrade my 3gs, android new hardware is getting more and more tempting.

Change to Android if you want to feel sick finding your couple months old device outdated by the new model already.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Apple is holding the new iPhone 5 hardware to launch it alongside iOS 5 and iCloud.

I remember the last time Apple released an iPhone and an Internet service on the same day.

Didn't work well, as I recall. I don't see this being the explicit reason.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

Has anyone heard rumors regarding if the iPhone 5 will be sold unlocked by Apple like they recently started doing with the iPhone 4? An early October release is great, but only if it's possible to get an unlocked version from the beginning. I've got family coming over to Europe in November and unlocked iPhone 4 prices in America are about 40% cheaper than anywhere on this side of the ocean.

I would think this is likely, but I haven't read confirmed anywhere. But, in every other country they sold unlocked units, once they start they don't go back to locked only.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

It is a little strange, isn't it? If the upgrade isn't a big deal, then why would they need another 3 months to roll it out? I mean, what part or component holdup is demanding that Apple change the usual summer phone rollout schedule?

Maybe they are waiting on a new LTE chip or a HSPS/CDMA chip. My guess is that it is hardware related, like a new component.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Apple is holding the new iPhone 5 hardware to launch it alongside iOS 5 and iCloud, much like they held the new MacBook Air until Mac OS X Lion was released.

I hope not. Same week, fine, but side by side will be murder.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I remember the last time Apple released an iPhone and an Internet service on the same day.

Didn't work well, as I recall. I don't see this being the explicit reason.

yup.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar Saves View Post

Here it is, kids, the reason it is taking so long for Apple to introduce the next iPhone, is because they are developing the cellular communications chip themselves. Remember when it was rumored that they were working on a chip to do away with the sim cards now required to operate on some networks? Well they have actually been working on the complete communications chip so they won't be using a qualcomm or some other chip. They'll be using a completely programmable chip that they can set to work on whatever network they want it to work on... One phone, many networks...

You read it here first!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Well dog my cat! You're right, I read that rumor a while back. That's great but I wonder if you were to buy such a phone it would have to be unsubzsidized and full retail? I suppose it could be locked, and subsidized, but you know them hackers have pwened every one of them up until now.

I can't wait

That rumours was pretty well debunked shortly after it came out. IIRC, it was actually a real project in Apple, but the carriers objected strongly. In fact, didn't the head of some European carrier mention just this a couple of months ago and state that it was scraped (because of carrier 'concerns') and that Apple was expected to utilize an even smaller SIM?

Edit: Guess is was Orange.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...card.standard/

Can't find a link where they mention the concept of the embedded SIM and their opposition to it.

Edit2: found one

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/...card-20110524/
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:

Geesh, OCTOBER NOW. Pathetic apple, this better be one hell of an update to the iphone.

I am really sick of waiting to upgrade my 3gs, android new hardware is getting more and more tempting.

Get the iPhone 4 then.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

It looks like Tim Cook is still having execution fiascos. This misses the back to school season pretty much completely. Oh well, there's always Xmas.

The iPhone's demographic is the 25-49 age group; the iPod touch is decidedly younger, 13-24.

The iPhone isn't really a kiddie device.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

It looks like Tim Cook is still having execution fiascos. This misses the back to school season pretty much completely. Oh well, there's always Xmas.

That is a big deal too! Everyone knows that if it weren't for the back to school phone rush the iPhone wouldn't be profitable...
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

That is a big deal too! Everyone knows that if it weren't for the back to school phone rush the iPhone wouldn't be profitable...

• Reply 30 of 34
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

yea MY 3G is so long on the tooth, its getting a root canal
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I remember the last time Apple released an iPhone and an Internet service on the same day. Didn't work well, as I recall. I don't see this being the explicit reason.

I recall that disaster well. I think Apple's learned lots of important lessons since the launch of MobileMe, and it seems like they're being much smarter with their rollout of iCloud (mainly that it's not going to be an automatic migration for current MobileMe users).

This may not be the explicit reason, but, if there are any truth to any of the iPhone 5 refresh rumors (take your pick), it would make sense for Apple to align the new hardware with the iOS 5 release (even if iCloud didn't factor in at all). Why release a new iPhone and then have users upgrade the OS a week later?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I hope not. Same week, fine, but side by side will be murder.

I was actually thinking same week as I wrote my comment: iOS 5 first to give users time to play with the new features followed by the new iPhone 5 with iOS 5 installed. I think this is what they did with iPhone 4 (having learned from the disaster of releasing the iPhone 3G and launching MobileMe on the same day).
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:

If you wanted a hell of an update, you probably should have gone for the iPhone 4, which was definitely that. iPhone 5 probably not so much...
  • Reply 33 of 34
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Where is Tallest Skil, the self-appointed troll monitor of the internet? He who does for trolls what gaydar does for gays. We need to you say:

Stop. Trolling.

Get. Over. It.

Like you say to anyone who disagrees with you about anything.

• Reply 34 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Where is Tallest Skil, the self-appointed troll monitor of the internet? He who does for trolls what gaydar does for gays. We need to you say:

Stop. Trolling.

Get. Over. It.

Like you say to anyone who disagrees with you about anything.

I already said my piece for his comment, by the way.