RIM's BlackBerry music service to cost $5 a month for 50 songs

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
New details on Research in Motion's rumored BlackBerry Messenger music service have emerged, with the mini-subscription plan expected to cost $5 a month for 50 songs when it arrives this fall.

Reports first emerged on Thursday that RIM was in "late-stage negotiations" with the major music labels to launch a music streaming service for its BlackBerry devices. Peter Kafka of All Things D offered further details on the service early Saturday, claiming that it will cost $5 a month for 50 songs.

According to him, BBM Music will arrive as a beta in the U.S., Canada and the U.K. in early September, before launching in the three regions later this fall. Subscribers won't be able to export the music to PCs, but they will be able to transfer to the PlayBook tablet. The service will also reportedly contain a social aspect that will let subscribers share songs with other BBM Music subscribers.

Kafka adds that RIM will pitch the service as "personalizing" users' phones, much like the ringtone services that flourished in years past. However, BBM Music will find itself competing against pre-existing streaming services available on the BlackBerry, such as Slacker, Rhapsody and Pandora.

RIM is aiming to use the subscription music service will rekindle interest in its BlackBerry Messenger functionality, which has been one of the standout features for the platform. The company also recently opened up BBM to allow developers to incorporate it into their own BlackBerry apps.

Meanwhile, rival smartphone platform makers Apple and Google are developing their own, even as newer multi-platform streaming services, including Spotify and Rdio are gaining momentum.

Apple unveiled its iCloud service in June and has added some features, such as re-downloading of music from iTunes, ahead of the full launch later this year. The iPhone maker will also introduce the iTunes Match service this fall for $24.99 per year. iTunes Match will scan a user's music collection for music not purchased from iTunes and then make the corresponding iTunes version available in iCloud.

Google launched its Music Beta service in May, but failed to gain much traction with it, in part because it does not actually sell music. Earlier this week, the search giant started a music discovery blog in hopes of drawing attention to its fledgling music service.

RIM has found itself backed into a corner by the iPhone and Android, which have both continued to outstrip sales of BlackBerry devices. In July, the company announced plans to cut 2,000 jobs, more than 10 percent of its workforce.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Sounds like their tablet team also created the music service.
  • Reply 2 of 75
    gotwakegotwake Posts: 115member

So funny...... So, let's take bets on who buys RIM because this company is going down. Just like skydiving, RIM feels like they are flying. In reality, they are plummeting to the earth at a 120 mph.
  • Reply 3 of 75
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    RIM just acquired a second pile-driver and is operating it beyond all safety limits. Stand clear!
  • Reply 4 of 75
    RIM planning meeting: In the absence of innovation, we've come up with a ripoff music subscription service.
  • Reply 5 of 75
    10 years too late. I'm embarrassed for them.
  • Reply 6 of 75
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Yikes. These people really are lost. Consumers aren't looking for X number of songs per month. That sort of plan will be DOA because it reflects a lack of understanding regarding how people listen to music and how they use their devices.
  • Reply 7 of 75
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cronked View Post

10 years too late. I'm embarrassed for them.

Exactly.
  • Reply 8 of 75
    I fully support competition, but now companies are just throwing ideas and money at the wall and hoping something sticks so they can combat Apple and Android. RIM can't try to build an ecosystem this late in the game when their sales and user base are shrinking this fast. It's too late for this. Better phones not music is what they need to compete. IMO.
  • Reply 9 of 75
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    "Burning Platform For Sale"
  • Reply 10 of 75
    So did anyone understand how this service works? Does it mean that once I have listened to 50 songs in a month, I cannot listen to any more? Or does it mean that I have to continue recycling between those 50, and wait till the next month to find another set of 50?

If its either of those, its a ridiculously terrible deal (50songs * 4min/song = 200 mins, = <4 hrs of music?)

I hope its something else...
  • Reply 11 of 75
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Pointless.

Fix the antiquated platform first, before piling more junk on top of it.

These clowns have all their priorities mixed up now. Apple and Google have sent RIM into a complete state of confusion.
  • Reply 12 of 75
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    50 songs? hold on there, speedy. not so fast. what if i only need four songs a month. what'll that cost me?
  • Reply 13 of 75
    umairumair Posts: 16member
    RIM - Research in (Slow) Motion
  • Reply 14 of 75
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    RiM needs a decant mobile OS that doesn't rely on Flash. Maybe they can buy WebOS from HP.
  • Reply 15 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UMAIR View Post

RIM - Research in (Slow) Motion

RIM soon to be RIP
  • Reply 16 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

RiM needs a decant mobile OS that doesn't relay on Flash. Maybe they can buy WebOS from HP.

Ouch! I always thought you were quite supportive of RIM? Seriously don't you think a few of those Android based manufacturers not now owned by Google might be first to bid for it?
  • Reply 17 of 75
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    RIM doing to little to late. At this point a music service might be a losing proposition as well and bring RIM down faster, keep in mind signing the big 4 music companys cost $$$$$ as well as a large cut of the sales. I wouldn't be surprised if RIM is giving up 50% .

if anything RIM should be working on better smartphones & hardware. Eventually RIM gets aquired for its patents and secure mail system.
  • Reply 18 of 75
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    I used to think Ballmer was one the the most clueless CEOs on the planet, but Balsillie and Lazaridis make Ballmer look like Jobs by comparison
  • Reply 19 of 75
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

50 songs? hold on there, speedy. not so fast. what if i only need four songs a month. what'll that cost me?

If you only need 4 songs per month, you buy them on iTunes instead of messing with a streaming service.

The opposite is more likely. People who sign up for a streaming service are likely to be regular music listeners who want unlimited access to music. I can't imagine how 50 songs a month would appeal to many people.

Look at it differently. For $5 a month, you could buy 5 songs on iTunes - or 60 songs a year. So, for $60, so you want to listen to 50 songs a month - and then lose them - or buy 60 songs. I'm guessing that most people would choose the latter.
  • Reply 20 of 75
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Ouch! I always thought you were quite supportive of RIM? Seriously don't you think a few of those Android based manufacturers not now owned by Google might be first to bid for it?

Actually the RIM platform is pretty worthless at this point, especially considering HP is pulling the plug on their infinitely superior WebOS. This was obvious the moment we heard that RIM's OS would need to be fundamentally re-architected in order to provide their tablets with independent email capabilities.

But the limitations of RIM's platform pale in comparison with the cluelessness of their "co-CEOs".