TiBook DVD drive out of alignment. Anything I can do?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
A while back my TiBook got jolted. Shortly thereafter, the DVD drive stopped working. It will still suck in the disk (but it buzzes when it does it), but it won't mount the disk. Occasionally the disk will mount, but anytime that the disk mounts, it is making a fantastic amount ogf noise in the drive. I took it an Apple retail store and asked about it. I was told that the drive is designed to float a little bit and probably got knocked out of alignment. They said that there wasn't anything they could do there, but that I'd have to send it in to Apple. I plan to take it to a local authorized Apple shop that does some repair stuff, when I go home for Christmas break next week, the guy at the Apple store said it isn't something that's totally unheard of and that Apple Care should cover it. I was wondering though, is there anyway I might be able to fix it on my own. I know a lot about the software end of computers, but not a whole lot about the hardwares side of things. If it's anything too complicated, I'll let someone more qualified than myself do it, but if it would be a simple matter, I would try it. Any suggestions that anyone could give would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    i think i have the same problem. but they apple foks made it painfully clear that if i open the computer, my warranty is instantly void.. if you're past that point... then it seems reasonable... my two cents....
  • Reply 2 of 4
    It's happened to us at work and AppleCare covered it. No shop will be able to help you though. Even authorized service providers have to ship them off to Apple for repair, so you're just as well sending it off yourself.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I totally agree with Poor Taylor. The TiBook, iBook, and Cube have to be sent back to Apple for repairs.

A number of TiBooks had come my way with a similar problem although there was this one which was so bad that it wouldn't even suck in the disc - all it did was try to suck in the disc while making a very loud grinding noise. I had to go through a few people to get it in under AppleCare as it was "apparently" a known issue where the chasis would bend if the TiBook was picked up by the corner - and this was a payable repair.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    enderender Posts: 353member
    My Ti PB 500 had a slightly misaligned DVD drive, where it sometimes wouldn't eject CD-ROMs (CD-r disks, most noticeably). I decided to live with it (I got it in mid February) because I needed my laptop a whole bunch.

In September, the rubber pad on the right corner of the unit (the one that separates the screen from the base when it is closed) started to melt inexplicably. I called Apple and they said "send it in, we'll take care of both problems."

So, I did. 3 weeks later I called back to find out what was taking so long. Apparently, the top plate (the one that goes around the keyboard/trackpad) was backordered for weeks. I asked them to hurry up and they just shipped me a new 667 MHz Ti PB because they had given me a quote of 1 to 2 weeks. So, I got my new machine a little over a week ago and the DVD drive is perfect, the rubber foot is OK , and now I have a rev b PB!

Only problem is a stuck pixel in the middle of the display, but all of the stuck pixels I've ever had have gone away after some use.

Moral of the story: make something else break before sending your PB in for a DVD alignment (no, just kidding... I'm saying Apple's service department is tops!).

-Ender