OS X: Classic on different hard drive?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Why not? Is there a reason to have the classic environment on the same hard drive as OS X? I have 3 hard drives in my G4 (upgraded Yosemite: Sonnet Encore G4 500 MHz, 1 GB RAM) - 2 Maxtor 40 GB 7200 RPM drives and one Quantum 30 GB 5400 RPM drive. I have OS X on one 40 GB drive, OS 9.2 on the other 40 GB, and I plan to use the third, older drive as backup using Retrospect.

The system works fine just like I have it, but I'm wondering if ther is any wisdom in having classic with OS X. Dunno.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    It really doesn't seem to matter. Before I got my quicksilver at work, I had a Yosemite with the stock 6 gig hard drive still in. I added another 20 gig drive, moved all my work stuff to it, then formatted the 6 gig drive and installed OS X onto it. I used it that way for months with no issues. You also have the added benefit of being able to hold down option at startup and select which volume you want to boot from.

The only thing I had to do different was specify in the system preferences to boot from the 9.1 system folder on the other drive. Easy stuff.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I just have them on different partitions just in case I need a reinstallation of either OS.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Yup...I'm running em on different hard drives with no problems at all.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Sounds like a good plan. I'd run with it. Also good in case a drive crashes you don't lose your whole setup, just the one OS.