Leak shows HTC's AT&T-bound 4G Puccini tablet

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A new leak has revealed Taiwanese handset maker HTC's 10.1-inch Puccini tablet with 4G LTE is in the testing phase and will challenge Apple's iPad when it arrives in the near future.

Engadget obtained photos of the Puccini, which is also rumored to be called the Jetstream in the U.S., in the wild. Sources told the publication that the device is currently in testing and should arrive in the "not-too-distant future."

The report confirmed that the Puccini will be the first AT&T tablet with built-in 4G LTE support. The device will reportedly feature a 1.5GHz dual-core processor with 1GB of RAM, 16GB of storage and a 10.1-inch WXGA touchscreen. It will run Google's Android 3.0 Honeycomb operating system.

AT&T launched its first 4G LTE devices on Sunday in the form of several WWAN modems. The carrier plans to reach 70 million customers across 15 markets with the technology by the end of this year.

The leak also showed HTC's Wi-Fi only 7-inch Flyer tablet, which is expected to go on sale in the U.S. in September. The device launched in May to lukewarm reviews and modest sales. Apple has targeted the Flyer in a patent infringement case that could lead to a ban on the importation of the device.

That lawsuit is part of a larger dispute between Apple and HTC. In August, Apple won an initial ruling against HTC with the International Trade Commission. An ITC judge found the company had infringed on two patents, though the decision will need to be reviewed by the full commission.

HTC CEO Peter Chou remains unfazed by his company's legal disagreement with Apple, characterizing it as a "distraction." He also said that the handset maker is still "carefully assessing the tablet market" and will become more competitive in 2012.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Any other specs like weight, dimensions and cost?
  • Reply 2 of 51
    Even before I saw it, I knew what the thing was going to look like...and when I clicked the link and saw the screen caps, ugh. I was not surprised. Same as all the other 10.1" tablets that came after iPad. Why don't they just call it the "JetPad" and complete their journey towards the dark side?
  • Reply 3 of 51
    My favourite part of the design is the sexy AT&T logo.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Even before I saw it, I knew what the thing was going to look like...and when I clicked the link and saw the screen caps, ugh. I was not surprised. Same as all the other 10.1" tablets that came after iPad. Why don't they just call it the "JetPad" and complete their journey towards the dark side?

Yeah I was actually expecting a triangular-shaped tablet, how dare they design it like that?! Did they not realise Apple holds the patent to rounded rectangles already? Disregard the vastly different hardware and OS inside, bring on the lawsuits!
  • Reply 5 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

and will become more competitive in 2012.

Will.....?? Become.....?? More.....?? Competitive?

Way waay too little too late. Any serious contender needs to bring something different and compelling to the market in the next quarter. Or else they'll be going up against iPad 3.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Why does the external design of every new tablet these days from every manufacturer has to look like an ipad??

bleh....
  • Reply 7 of 51
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Any other specs like weight, dimensions and cost?

Honestly, who cares, other than Engadget, who think people still care.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleDroid View Post

Yeah I was actually expecting a triangular-shaped tablet, how dare they design it like that?! Did they not realise Apple holds the patent to rounded rectangles already? Disregard the vastly different hardware and OS inside, bring on the lawsuits!

You see it that way. Not? One P. But then, I could see the difference. Just look at those icons... Urggh, Sick!

Sorry, can't find any bucket nearby....

Actually, just follow back with what that have been presented before, the ones before iPad came out. Plenty of those comparison pictures around the inter-web.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

They all resemble the media consumption Tablet Newspaper profiled in a video here. . .

back in 1994. Yes, even the iPad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBEtP...eature=feedlik

FWIW, every tablet design I've ever seen, including those going back to 1968, have had the same general rectangular shape. It's the only one that makes immediate sense, as well as the most familiar form factor for other media such as books, magazines, paper, etc.

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story...f-the-tablet/1

Why would anyone expect a tablet to have any other shape? Would something round or triangular even be generally acceptable as a form factor for a media device by the average person? Very doubtful.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    10.1 is hard to compete. 7" has a chance. People might buy it to use as a GPS unit in the car but then again people just isn't confident enough in tablet other than iPad. If I'm on a market for tablet and I don't want iPad the smartest way would be waiting to see what Windows 8 will bring. What did Android give you for this kind of device apart from cool 3D Google map nobody care? None. Nada. Zip.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    Puccini is rolling in his grave. HTC is a motherfuckingcuntbitchasshole that kills babies just for fun; its their hobby.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

They all resemble the media consumption Tablet Newspaper profiled in a video here. . .

back in 1994. Yes, even the iPad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBEtP...eature=feedlik

FWIW, every tablet design I've ever seen, including those going back to 1968, have had the same general rectangular shape. It's the only one that makes immediate sense, as well as the most familiar form factor for other media such as books, magazines, paper, etc.

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story...f-the-tablet/1

Why would anyone expect a tablet to have any other shape? Would something round or triangular even be generally acceptable as a form factor for a media device by the average person? Very doubtful.

Let's not even mention the tablets featured in '2001' eh? Ooh look, flat, thin rectangular devices with rounded corners.

Bloody design patents.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Let's not even mention the tablets featured in '2001' eh? Ooh look, flat, thin rectangular devices with rounded corners.

Bloody design patents.

Bloody people who don't understand design patents.

It's not about thin rectangular devices with rounded corners. There's a lot more about the appearance than the general shape. The fact is that one of these 'prior art' devices look anything like an iPad other than the general shape. Yet most of the tablets that have come out since the iPad are nearly indistinguishable from the iPad. If the design of the iPad is so obvious, why was no one using it before the iPad came out? Look at the 2001 'device'. Row of buttons on the bottom and solid black. Look at the device in the above videos - not at all like the iPad. Yet the designs of most of the tablets released in the past 3 years look like a race to see who can make their system look most like an iPad.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Why does the external design of every new tablet these days from every manufacturer has to look like an ipad??

bleh....

Because the external design of the iPad is obvious and utilitarian? Because even in 1969, tablet computers looked like that in science fiction movies? Just a thought.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    This is the ugliest and cheapest looking iPad knockoff I've seen yet. Seriously, if this is the best they can come up with, they should just give up.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

Because the external design of the iPad is obvious and utilitarian? Because even in 1969, tablet computers looked like that in science fiction movies? Just a thought.

You think the tablet in 2001 looks like iPad? Wow!
  • Reply 17 of 51
    The graphics make me think of Windows 95.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:

it looks cheap & tacky. It doesn't have that feeling of apple quality. and therefore it doesn't seem quite real, like it's a toy.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    At some point, just as with iPod clones, share holders will say "Enough of burning our money. Give it up already will you!"
  • Reply 20 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    So? does AT&T even have any LTE set up? I mean, they don't even have 3G across their entire coverage area.