Mbp od

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Someone told me who is a computer engineer that when you play dvd movies which are copies it can screw up the OD pretty bad.Is this true or not? Thanks Marv

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    It's a good rule of thumb NOT to pirate stuff, so I can see from where the idea for this comes, but I've never heard of burnt discs screwing up an optical drive. Dirty or warped discs could scratch the lens and screw up the drive, but there isn't anything inherently wrong with using burnt discs.

In before "OSMOSIS!"
  • Reply 2 of 4
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's a good rule of thumb NOT to pirate stuff, so I can see from where the idea for this comes, but I've never heard of burnt discs screwing up an optical drive. Dirty or warped discs could scratch the lens and screw up the drive, but there isn't anything inherently wrong with using burnt discs.

In before "OSMOSIS!"

Sorry I mean buying copies from a dealer not burning them myself.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Sorry I mean buying copies from a dealer not burning them myself.

Oh, I know. Still, what I said applies. If any disc isn't clean, flat, and unscratched, it runs the risk of damaging the laser in the ODD. I've never had it happen to any of the optical drives I've ever owned, but it can happen. Just check the discs for dirt, scratches, and warping before using them and it should be fine.

The content on the discs themselves can't damage the drive, but the physical discs themselves can.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, I know. Still, what I said applies. If any disc isn't clean, flat, and unscratched, it runs the risk of damaging the laser in the ODD. I've never had it happen to any of the optical drives I've ever owned, but it can happen. Just check the discs for dirt, scratches, and warping before using them and it should be fine.

The content on the discs themselves can't damage the drive, but the physical discs themselves can.

Thanks