Can't eject disk

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
DVD disk in drive won't eject, won't mount (Disk Utility identifies, but grayed out).

Tried re-start, shut down, still "stuck" - Please advise!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I had a 2006 15" MBP that wouldn't eject disks sometimes. I had to physically pick up the laptop and hold it vertically as if the CD was going to fall out of the drive. Then I'd hit the eject button while shaking it a bit. It was scary, but it worked.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I had a 2006 15" MBP that wouldn't eject disks sometimes. I had to physically pick up the laptop and hold it vertically as if the CD was going to fall out of the drive. Then I'd hit the eject button while shaking it a bit. It was scary, but it worked.

Or? just hold down the mouse button as the computer starts up instead of playing chicken with disaster.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Thanks, I'll try that, too!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Still didn't work - I get the "roar" of the disk drive start-up, then nothing. Eject button glows briefly, but no action.

Thanks, anyway.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or? just hold down the mouse button as the computer starts up instead of playing chicken with disaster.

Just out of curiosity, what does that do that's different from holding down the eject button? I have a new MBP now and it has never happened with this one. But then again, I almost never use CD/DVDs. I only had the problem with the 2006 model.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BillMatt View Post

Still didn't work - I get the "roar" of the disk drive start-up, then nothing. Eject button glows briefly, but no action.

Thanks, anyway.

Bring it to a Apple repair shop
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Have you tried one of the following [equivalent] Terminal commands to try ejecting the disk?

drutil eject tray

drutil tray eject

Sometimes they work when other methods have not worked.