Prototype next-gen iPhone parts show same screen size, design as iPhone 4

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Pictures that show a purported next-generation iPhone prototype feature a screen size and design that appears largely identical to the current iPhone 4.

The details come from an LCD display and digitizer component obtained by MacPost. The LCD component is labeled as "N94 EVT 1," which indicates it is an iPhone prototype that was in the Engineering Verification Testing phase.

The component carries a manufacture date of March 3, 2011. That indicates the prototype is older than the "EVT2" handset that was pictured last week, which carried a manufacture date of June 7, 2011.

Both the components from last week, which featured a back panel, and this week, with the front LCD, show a design unchanged from the current iPhone 4. Reports have been conflicted as to whether Apple's fifth-generation iPhone will look similar to the iPhone 4, or if it will feature a new design.

Some speculation has suggested Apple will update the iPhone 4 to a model dubbed the iPhone 4S. The new hardware could serve as an entry-level model, much like the 8GB iPhone 3GS sells alongside the current iPhone 4.

However, one report last week from Reuters cited anonymous sources who indicated a fifth-generation iPhone will have a design largely identical to the current iPhone 4. Those sources reportedly said the handset will have a slightly bigger touchscreen, along with a better antenna and an 8-megapixel camera.

Further confusing matters, a number of third-party cases have appeared in China showing a fifth-generation iPhone with a new design. Those cases show a handset with angled sides and a flat back, similar to the structure of the iPad 2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This year seems ideal for Apple to grow the iPhone brand into two distinct screen sizes.
  • Reply 2 of 87
    a lot of people who are expecting a redesign will be VERY disappointed...
  • Reply 3 of 87
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Given Android's market dominance and the vast array of Android handset designs available Apple would very foolish not to introduce something visibly new.
  • Reply 4 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooman625 View Post

You mean all of the people expecting a redesign.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Given Android's market dominance and the vast array of Android handset designs available Apple would very foolish not to introduce something visibly new.

Said in 2008, 2009, and 2010. No different today.
  • Reply 5 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooman625 View Post

I like the iPhone 4 design and would love to see it retain the same form factor for the fact that I have accessories that I can use on it. It would be great, though, if the back isn't made of glass like the current iPhone 4.

Aside from that, Apple will upgrade the internals to A5, better camera, more RAM and storage, more features, etc... That's all I expect. I'd love to be able to use my old accessories on it.
  • Reply 6 of 87
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    So many speculations, so few lost test devices... I wonder if all iPhone testers are forced to become teetotalers nowadays...
  • Reply 7 of 87
    Quote:

You'd think so... but Apple is still growing quarter after quarter.

Apple sold 20 million 3.5" iPhones last quarter...

But, like you, I'm hoping for a larger iPhone.
  • Reply 8 of 87
    If the best Apple can come up with after almost a year and a half is an upgrade of internal components, it will likely hurt the company's image. I personally think there will likely be some sort of overhaul of the design. If Apple was just going to make internal changes, there would be little reason to delay the launch of the phone until fall.
  • Reply 9 of 87
    Apple is suing Samsung over copying the look of the iPhone4 so it makes sense that the look of the iPhone5 won't change very much. However, the inside silicon mated with iOS5, well, just how cool is iPhone 5 gonna be?

• Reply 10 of 87
    Quote:

Is that unit share of OS market dominance where you have to include all devices from all vendors from Android but then for Apple, a single vendor, you have exclude all their devices except their iPhone? I guess when you put it that way Android is bestest¡
  • Reply 11 of 87
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I don't see any reason why Apple would want to substantially change the exterior design of the iPhone this year. The current design is fabulous. At most, I guess it might perhaps become a half millimeter or so thinner. The first iPhone design lasted three years. I expect the current iPhone design will also last two to four years.
  • Reply 12 of 87
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    2 models

bells and whistles

less bells and whistles
  • Reply 13 of 87
    After reading the iPhone 5 rumors for a few months now, I'm finally ready to offer my own prediction: the screen on the next iPhone will either be larger than, smaller than, or the same size as that of the current model.
  • Reply 14 of 87
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    I suspect that the current design becomes the new entry level design (as happened with the 3GS), and the redesign sports the larger screen, new case, and so on.

One interesting data point: Element Case, who makes aluminum iPhone cases, is currently offering a trade-in-your-old-case-and-get-50%-off sale.

To me, this means that they're trying to blow out their current inventory before something new hits...
  • Reply 15 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

2 models

bells and whistles

less bells and whistles

iPhone.

iPod touch.

Already have that. Next.
  • Reply 16 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I don't see any reason why Apple would want to substantially change the exterior design of the iPhone this year. The current design is fabulous.

I like the current design, too. And yet, whenever Apple releases a new design for any of their products, they somehow make the previous one look outdated. It's pretty amazing actually.

Anyway, the iPhone 4 doesn't feel "old" to me. It came out only 13 months ago, and it launched on Verizon since then, so I feel like it's still "new" to a lot of people.
  • Reply 17 of 87
    I think the iPhone 4 is the best hardware on the market...period...and the only thing I can see possibly happening is an iPhone 4 variant with lower specs for a lower price and perhaps an iPhone 5 with a larger screen...however I think 1yr after the new form factor came to play an iPhone 5 with a larger screen would hurt in regard to accessories and while I doubt people wouldn't buy it for that reason I just don't see Apple forcing it's people to buy completely new accessories for their phones like that....

Could be wrong though...and I'd like to see a 4inch iPhone...but it just doesn't seem likely.
  • Reply 18 of 87
    Quote:

The first iPhone design lasted three years. I expect the current iPhone design will also last two to four years.

The first iPhone casing lasted one year. Even less if you consider it was sold out for a good 6 weeks before the iPhone 3G with the new design went on sale. The iPhone 3G and 3GS kept the same casing.
  • Reply 19 of 87
    Quote:

I don't see any reason why Apple would want to substantially change the exterior design of the iPhone this year. The current design is fabulous. At most, I guess it might perhaps become a half millimeter or so thinner. The first iPhone design lasted three years. I expect the current iPhone design will also last two to four years.

The first phone lasted 1 year. The 2nd phone lasted 2 years. The 4th phone exists now.

I see a few reasons they'd change it.

1. iPhone 4 users get something worth upgrading for. I am addicted to the iPhone and I feel no desire to upgrade if it's just a boosted up iPhone 4.

2. accessory sales. By keeping the same design, people keep the same cases, and other components.

3. although it has calmed down (and I never had any issues), there are many potential customers out there who associate problems with the physical design of the phone, with the antenna.

4. People are going to wonder what Apple has been doing in those offices for 15 or 16 months if they just throw out a carbon copy of what we already have.

The goal of any company should be to make as much money as humanly possible. That's the only reason any company exists. If they don't take into consideration the things mentioned above, they are throwing millions of dollars down the drain. I should've been Steve's replacement.
  • Reply 20 of 87
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    I'd be disappointed if this were true. Even a slightly larger screen does make a tangible difference, I'd really like a 4 inch display iPhone.