Prototype next-gen iPhone parts show same screen size, design as iPhone 4

Comments

• Reply 41 of 87
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

If the best Apple can come up with after almost a year and a half is an upgrade of internal components, it will likely hurt the company's image. I personally think there will likely be some sort of overhaul of the design. If Apple was just going to make internal changes, there would be little reason to delay the launch of the phone until fall.

Did you have a distant relative who came up with the idea of big honkin' fins on 1960 cars?

Same reasoning.

'Change it purely for the sake of changing it.'
  • Reply 42 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

I like the current design, too. And yet, whenever Apple releases a new design for any of their products, they somehow make the previous one look outdated. It's pretty amazing actually.

Anyway, the iPhone 4 doesn't feel "old" to me. It came out only 13 months ago, and it launched on Verizon since then, so I feel like it's still "new" to a lot of people.

Luckily, Apple doesn't pay a lot of attention to the 'Short Attention Span Theater' crowd.
  • Reply 43 of 87
    I hoping that this year's iPhone will be a dull upgrade because I'm still locked into my ATT contract for 1 more year.
  • Reply 44 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

People have to remember that Apple uses a 3:2 aspect ratio screen, while it appears Android is moving to a 16:9 screen. These aspect ratios have tradeoffs.

16:9 is useful for one thing and one thing only.

For a device used ONLY for viewing SOME movies.

For portrait mode, its completely unwieldy. In landscape, its like looking through a mailbox slot.

But by all means, I welcome Android makers going down that rathole.
  • Reply 45 of 87
    I have the iPhone 4. Great device, so-so phone. I love it. I own nothing but Apple products. I own nothing but AAPL in my portfolio. For years and years. But the aesthetic of the iPhone 4 doesn't even match that of the iPhone 3, in my very strong opinion. It's very un-unibody. To stick with the exact same look would kill a lot of the buzz factor. It would essentially be saying that Jonny took a year and a half vacation from the iPhone team.

And so, like I said, I'm not buying it.

Quote:

1) Such a bore that after 5 quarters it's the best selling iPhone ever.

2) You're not buying it yet the iPhone 3GS sold much better than the iPhone 3G. You and the_peripheral should think before reply.

• Reply 46 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dangcookie View Post

Apple knows that a considerable chunk of people upgrade purely for the new aesthetic. The current form factor is and always was a bore. A year and a half later -- barring some issue with pure physics -- there is no way the design will remain as-is.

I challenge 'considerable chunk'.

Some? Probably. But mostly flighty, attention span impaired types.

But the huge numbers still buying iPhone 4 would seem to indicate the opposite tho'.

Frankly, only Apple can really make their own products look obsolete. Don't know why they'd do that with an already excellent form factor.
  • Reply 47 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dangcookie View Post

... I own nothing but AAPL in my portfolio. ...

Off topic, but that's not particularly smart, but I'm sure you've been told that by others.

I loves me AAPL, but even I'm aware that the insane growth curve probably has another couple years in it, at which point the market will pull back.

Just sayin'.

Don't be a 'slaughtered hog'.
  • Reply 48 of 87
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    I like the design of the iP4 and I think it could be good enough for another 9 months. Short update this September, same exteriors upgraded internals. All new iP6 next summer.

But the slimmer IPhone in this video looks pretty slick.

YouTube Video of iP5?

Copied from this AI report.

Apple's iPhone 5 rumored with metal chassis, less than 4-inch screen
  • Reply 49 of 87
    cajuncajun Posts: 95member
    I refuse to accept that this is the iPhone 5...

I WANT MY 4" SCREEN!!!
  • Reply 50 of 87
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

I refuse to accept that this is the iPhone 5...

I WANT MY 4" SCREEN!!!

Buy an Android, then. I prefer a phone that I'd actually want to take places.
  • Reply 51 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Buy an Android, then. I prefer a phone that I'd actually want to take places.

put your pinky down you false elitist.

he is allowed to wish for iOS on a 4 inch screen.
  • Reply 52 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Such a bore that after 5 quarters it's the best selling iPhone ever.

2) You're not buying it yet the iPhone 3GS sold much better than the iPhone 3G. You and the_peripheral should think before reply.

PS: Whatever happened to the iPhone 4 design being a commercial and technical failure that they'd all be recalled and new model released by Septemeber 2010?

The reason the 3GS sold more was because the 3G was garbage. I actually consider the 3GS to be the first real upgrade for the iPhone. They changed almost everything about the phone for that upgrade.

The thing that nobody seems to get is that the iPhone 4 is so powerful, that a boost in power isn't gonna matter much to anybody. With the 3GS, the power was boosted in a way that people could actually really feel the difference because the 3G was so horrible and slow.

That's the difference.
  • Reply 53 of 87
    if these reports are accurate that the next iPhone will be a minor upgrade featuring very similar hardware then i am really starting wonder what they are thinking.

because it will be almost a year and a half from the iPhone 4 release which in tech years is ancient history. they are seriously in danger of falling behind.

the competition has many phones with a 4+ inch display as well as 4g lte, significantly faster dual core 1.5 Ghz processors, you can stream your entire music library (no my syncing or downloading or worrying about filling up your storage), navigation, voice commands, customization, etc, etc.

don't be so dismissive about the competition. it certainly isn't perfect, but my god the features and hardware and choices that are available are amazing. and apple has only one phone which is looking pretty similar to the last phone.....
  • Reply 54 of 87
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the_peripheral View Post

The reason the 3GS sold more was because the 3G was garbage. I actually consider the 3GS to be the first real upgrade for the iPhone. They changed almost everything about the phone for that upgrade.

The thing that nobody seems to get is that the iPhone 4 is so powerful, that a boost in power isn't gonna matter much to anybody. With the 3GS, the power was boosted in a way that people could actually really feel the difference because the 3G was so horrible and slow.

That's the difference.

The 3G was considerably faster than its predecessor. A lot of its performance depended on network conditions. Mine was fantastic in Boston when I travelled there, and slow and buggy in suburban Philly where I live.
  • Reply 55 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

The 3G was considerably faster than its predecessor. A lot of its performance depended on network conditions. Mine was fantastic in Boston when I travelled there, and slow and buggy in suburban Philly where I live.

I'm talking about just general speed in the use of the phone, not network speed. The phone worked faster and better. I remember I had the original iPhone at that time, and when I typed, the letters would show up half a second after I touched the letter. When I got the 3GS, all of that changed.

That's why people bought into it. It had video, faster, better battery life, voice controls, etc...lots of new features. None of those things can really be upgraded in a new phone to a point where people are going to freak out about it and buy no matter what.
  • Reply 56 of 87
    It's all BS..bottom line is no one knows how the new phone looks like because Apple this time has made sure there are no leaks. I believe the new iPhone will be substantially different since they have taken more time to develop it.
  • Reply 57 of 87
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

So many speculations, so few lost test devices... I wonder if all iPhone testers are forced to become teetotalers nowadays...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

If the best Apple can come up with after almost a year and a half is an upgrade of internal components, it will likely hurt the company's image. I personally think there will likely be some sort of overhaul of the design. If Apple was just going to make internal changes, there would be little reason to delay the launch of the phone until fall.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

After reading the iPhone 5 rumors for a few months now, I'm finally ready to offer my own prediction: the screen on the next iPhone will either be larger than, smaller than, or the same size as that of the current model.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

I'd be disappointed if this were true. Even a slightly larger screen does make a tangible difference, I'd really like a 4 inch display iPhone.

I think this is great - for the first time in awhile, Apple's got the rumor sites really chasing their tails again, dissecting multiple sets of what may or may not be entrails of a release of one or two devices! the same! totally different! kinda different! bigger screen! no change!

as Apple grew and became a phone phenomenon, all the multiple suppliers and carriers tended to steal the thunder with their leaks. I think Apple's starting to get a handle on that (and probably spreading plenty of dis-info, false leads, etc.) and restoring some of their secrecy.

and nobody outside of the company has any real idea what's gonna be. hope the veil holds until as soon before the official announcement as possible. and that there's maybe....

....one more thing.....
  • Reply 58 of 87
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

Apple this time has made sure there are no leaks.

Um?

Quote:

I believe the new iPhone will be substantially different since they have taken more time to develop it.

And I believe it'll be substantially the same design with better specs.
  • Reply 59 of 87
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This year seems ideal for Apple to grow the iPhone brand into two distinct screen sizes.

A no contract model.

The iPhone 4

And iPhone 5.
  • Reply 60 of 87
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooman625 View Post

a lot of people who are expecting a redesign will be VERY disappointed...

they can go buy one of apple's competitor's phones if it turn out to be too much of a disappointment.

personally, i feel the screen size is just fine?but it better have copy/paste?waaaaah!!!!!!