Samsung hedges Android bet with 3 new Bada smartphones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    One model has an exploding battery and the other is locked into the Windows search engine.

Bada Boom

Bada Bing
  • Reply 22 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

You can also download applications on Bada, right?

Also, I think you are overestimating how many people think about downloading apps when buying a phone. Right now, only around 30% of the phones in use are actually smartphones, which indicates there's a very large group of users who doesn't care enough about downloading apps to upgrade to a smartphone. It may be hard for you to believe, but lots of people only use their phone for calling and texting.

good point. especially since bada is geared towards people dumping feature phones.
  • Reply 23 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleDroid View Post

Looked different enough to me. Having a keyboard, touchpad, and screen with bezel doesn't mean that every laptop out there is copying Apple's MacBook. Oh and in case you haven't noticed, Samsung's laptop is black in colour whereas MacBook Air is white. I'll call that at least the slightest bit different.

Like the Dutch case which threw out all of Apple's "look and feel" patent assertions?

Since when do we check in with the Dutch before forming an opinion? Maybe theft is the quotidian practice there? And changing the color from brushed metal to black brushed metal is no change at all. Are you being willfully blind?
  • Reply 24 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antinous View Post

Since when do we check in with the Dutch before forming an opinion? Maybe theft is the quotidian practice there? And changing the color from brushed metal to black brushed metal is no change at all. Are you being willfully blind?

which Samsung laptop is shown?
  • Reply 25 of 71
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member

• Reply 26 of 71
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Hint. You have to open your eyes first.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

Like?

I don't see it.

• Reply 27 of 71
    Welll... at least now we know that iPhone 5 will have a full metal body.
  • Reply 28 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

what is that?
  • Reply 29 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

that doesn't really look like an iPhone 4 though...

and I'm one of the Androiders who will admit that Samsung's Touchwiz is a blatant semi copy of iOS.
  • Reply 30 of 71
    neilmneilm Posts: 988member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

One model has an exploding battery and the other is locked into the Windows search engine.

Bada Boom

Bada Bing

Is there an SS model?

BadaSS
  • Reply 31 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antinous View Post

Oh you can have your own opinion but I'm merely pointing to the OP that further injunctions based on this ridiculously broad "look and feel" crap will most likely fail, since they have already been completely invalidated once by the Dutch court. You can yell all you want about how Samsung copies everything Apple does but at the end of the day, a fair share of people including the legal system doesn't think so.

If you really think having a chassis w/keyboard and a screen constitutes theft, you are blinded by fanboyism. Before you falsely accuse me of being a Fandroid, I like Apple products. In fact I own both Android and iOS devices. Both have their own perks and downsides. I just don't like Apple's new innovation through litigation approach.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Oh do elaborate. I see two rounded rectangle from that picture. Has Apple patented rounded rectangles too?
  • Reply 32 of 71
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 33 of 71
    Why even bother arguing with the Android fans on here about Samsung's copying practices. You all know who the Androidians are... just let them have their fun and move on.

jmho

on edit... just put them on ignore as I just did with Appledroid and Absolutedesignz
  • Reply 34 of 71
    Samsung is being smart, for once. Who can trust Google at this point. Why throw all your eggs into the Android basket when there's a chance that Google will cut you off in another 2 years... even the slightest chance.

Will Bada fly? That's not the question in my mind. Will Android fly if Samsung and a couple of other top manufacturers leave the nest?

As another poster pointed out... consumers looking for a cheap smartphone won't care about apps etc... as long as the phone works... and Bada will get better and better while Samsung works on it using its profits from Android sales (that has to piss off Google).

Question now... will Samsung, LG and a couple of other Korean companies form a consortium... all with part interest in a common OS (Bada, WebOS).

Android will really start to slide in 2 years... tops.
  • Reply 35 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Why even bother arguing with the Android fans on here about Samsung's copying practices. You all know who the Androidians are... just let them have their fun and move on.

jmho

Everyone is either an iFan or a Fandroid huh? Despite your belief, the concept of middle ground does exist.
  • Reply 36 of 71
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Nothin' wrong with a little good, honest copytition.

+1 Good one

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Bada Boom

Bada Bing

But this^^^ takes the crown. Funniest post ever!
  • Reply 37 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleDroid View Post

Everyone is either an iFan or a Fandroid huh? Despite your belief, the concept of middle ground does exist.

didn't you know that the opposite of liking Android is hating Apple? we do live in such a black and white world. No grey here.

hell you can be an iPhanboy or a Fandroid without hating the competition reflexively. A majority of the iPhanboys here are the Apple fan parallel to fundamentalist Christians, however.

Ratio of reasonable to irrational fan on pro-apple sites far outweighs the ratio on pro-Android sites.

Hell one of our most skillful devs (Paul O'Brien) is easily a Mac fan. and quite a few devs work on Mac osx
  • Reply 38 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

Honestly, I'm actually pretty curious how many Bada phones Samsung will sell compared to their Android offerings, if they spend equal development effort on both.

Looking at this new Bada phone, it's almost indistinguishable from any random Samsung Android phone from the last year or so. I bet many, many people would not be able to tell the difference, and simply get the Bada phone because it's cheaper. If Samsung wants to push Bada, they have to put it on Galaxy S hardware, and sell it for a little less. People will buy them in droves, I predict.

Since it is so similar and since it's based on Linux, I wonder if it's any more compliant to the GPL than Android is? I'm thinking the answer is "no."

It's Android's refusal to comply with the GPL terms and especially the failure of almost all the developers for Android to similarly comply that's the biggest part of the iceberg awaiting the good ship Android.

The open source folks have shown distinct signs that they can't keep looking the other way for much longer.
  • Reply 39 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Since it is so similar and since it's based on Linux, I wonder if it's any more compliant to the GPL than Android is? I'm thinking the answer is "no."

It's Android's refusal to comply with the GPL terms and especially the failure of almost all the developers for Android to similarly comply that's the biggest part of the iceberg awaiting the good ship Android.

The open source folks have shown distinct signs that they can't keep looking the other way for much longer.

the Android 3.0 complaints? because they actually released all the GPL compliant code.

unless there's something else regarding gpl I'm unaware of.

enlighten me if there is. I'm genuinely curious.
  • Reply 40 of 71
    Here's the reality, Apple makes more money with one phone a year than Samsung does with 30 new phones a year. Sammy is is glutting up the market with phones and strategy will big them in the butt down the road.

Sammy is going to iterate itself into consistent similarity. Therefore, every new phone will be identical to the last phone.

Also, Sammy has no customer service swag like Apple. We don't see Sammy as a customer juggernaut like Apple do we?

Viva the iphone and ipad. I can't wait for iphone 5 baby!!