Samsung hedges Android bet with 3 new Bada smartphones

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    I'm an Android user and I don't like Samsung...specifically because TouchWiz goes out of its way to look like iOS. None of the other variations of Android (stock, Motoblur, Sense) do that. Ditto for the hardware design.

So I do think Samsung deserved to get sued. On the same token, I think getting patents for rounded rectangles is rather ridiculous.

As for these Bada phones....the headline is misleading. It's not like Samsung suddenly whipped up the Bada phones days after the Motorolo buy-out. They are pushing Bada, as an alternative to dumbphones. And they seem to be doing reasonably well. Indeed, Bada outsold Windows Phone 7. That's gotta grate on MS's nerves.

However, the Android low-end is improving day-by-day. Whereas useless crap like the Cliq defined the low-end a year ago, in a few months, the hardware equivalent of the Nexus One will be defining the low end (it's already middle of the pack) or better. When that happens, why would most users pick Bada over Android?

There's the argument that apps don't matter. Rather ironic, that coming from iOS fans supporting a company whose sales pitch often focuses on third-party apps. Apps do matter. And increasingly when there's some app you want to download and the company's website says "available on iTunes or the Android Market" you become aware that those are largely the only two places to find what you want...occassionally on Blackberry App World (still popular in Canada).

Android is gaining traction as a brand. There's more and more average joes who know what it is. Bada? In Asia perhaps. Elsewhere? Not so much.
  • Reply 62 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Maybe Apple should sue Samsung, not just for the shameless phone and tablet ripoffs, but for the Macbook Air ripoffs also.

This really is a classic case of monkey see, monkey do. Apple does something and the monkey, in this case being Samsung, sees it and does it too.

Geez. Samsung needs to credit Jony Ive with "their" design

Is that a single-button trackpad on the Samsung?
  • Reply 63 of 71
    Acquiring Motorola is going to be Larry Page's downfall. check out this WSJ article.

WSJ: A Very Gloomy Picture Of Larry Page's Short Tenure As Google CEO

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...984562128.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/a-ver...gle-ceo-2011-8
  • Reply 64 of 71
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:

As noted by Reuters, the South Korean electronics giant unveiled three new exact copies of the iPhone.

There. Fixed that for you.
  • Reply 65 of 71
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

I agree with everything you say about the Android market and the lack of apps on Bada, but that's not the point. My assumption is that many people simply don't think about this when they buy a phone, and only find out afterwards that application xyz is not available for it. If Bada mimics the interface of Samsungs Android phones (sure looks like it), and the hardware is comparable (which it is compared to the low-end and mid-range Samsung phones), they will 'trick' a lot of people into getting one, simply because they are cheaper.

If you look at average number of apps per iPhone (or Android device), it seems apps are important to a lot of people. But then an average number can hide a lot of things, I would be curious to see the percentage of iPhone users with 10+ additional apps.
  • Reply 66 of 71
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

However, the Android low-end is improving day-by-day. Whereas useless crap like the Cliq defined the low-end a year ago, in a few months, the hardware equivalent of the Nexus One will be defining the low end (it's already middle of the pack) or better. When that happens, why would most users pick Bada over Android?

There might always be low end of users (low demands) that buy based on whatever looks nice, is cheap and is pushed towards them via carrier incentives.
  • Reply 67 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

display shots are display shots. it's a render. but this being Samsung you're most likely right.

as far as the large center button goes Samsung had it on the Galaxy S one and other phones prior to it. when it came to us variants they tended to go the standard 4 capacitive buttons look.

nothing diabolical there.

Actually the new Samsung Nexus Prime would have no any hardware buttons on front.

• Reply 68 of 71
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Please show me where the copyright law allows "sure, we copied the other guy's product, but we COULD HAVE succeeded even if we didn't" as a defense.

In fact, that simply make the infringer look lazy and stupid. If they could have been just as successful without copying, why did they copy?

I explained my points clearly. Samsung didn't copy Apple, they just simply kept up with expected progression. You think if Apple didn't make the iphone, we wouldn't have touch screen phones right now? SERIOUSLY? Well you're wrong, and that's what Apple's entire case is based around. That's what images like the one at the end of this joke of an article want to make you believe.
  • Reply 69 of 71
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    What's a Bada?

LOL
  • Reply 70 of 71
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

What's a Bada?

LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bada

I especially like the definition "Shi'a Muslim concept of alteration in the divine will". So, apparently, they think that the iPhone is the divine will and they're hoping to alter it with Bada.
  • Reply 71 of 71
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

What's a Bada?

LOL

What's a Bing? What's a Google? What's a Twitter? What's the i mean in front of everything Apple makes?

Idiotic names are a dime a dozen in technology, you know this.