Openwave sues Apple over iPhone, iPad mobile connectivity

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Time to nail your colours to the mast. If the patent system is broken and too many "obvious'' patents are being granted, what % of Apple's patents should really not have been granted in the first place? Personally I'd go for 90 to 95% (yes, I'm serious). How about you?

Absolutely agree. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

WTF is up with all the lawsuits????? It seems everyone is suing everyone over patents lately, and it's outta control. I mean really. What the hell is the deal? Every friggin day there are a bunch of new lawsuits and counter lawsuits. It's never-ending.

Anyway...thats my rant for the day.

And oh yeah....I am going to SUE YOU!

I regret toinform you that me and my company sue.co currently owns the patents for posting on a web based site. We also own the password on Internet passwords we willsee you in court once the lines die down.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

I'm the biggest Apple fan boy around, but even I thought their lawsuit against Samsung because their Galaxy tablet was "shaped" similar to the ipad was F'in ridiculous. I mean come on. Enough is enough.

Unfortunately, that's not what Apple sued for.

So far, none of the Apple-haters who insist that Apple patented a rectangle have been able to produce copies of this patent. The only thing that they've produced is a patent APPLICATION where the title is "CONFIGURATION OF...." - so it's about the configuration, not the shape.

Oh, they've also produced a registration certificate - which is completely irrelevant.

So when people tell you that Apple is suing over a rectangle with rounded corners, ask them to put up or shut up.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bandley View Post

Clearly the patent system is beyond repair.

Patent infringement lawsuit by Thomas Edison estate hits Apple:

http://mobilebeyond.net/patent-infri...#axzz1WdRtUose

Okay, this is definitely a joke, but could be real you never know with people, however patents run out after 19 yrs so edison estate would have no claims.

But this does show where things stand today in the industry.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Unfortunately, that's not what Apple sued for.

So far, none of the Apple-haters who insist that Apple patented a rectangle have been able to produce copies of this patent. The only thing that they've produced is a patent APPLICATION where the title is "CONFIGURATION OF...." - so it's about the configuration, not the shape.

Oh, they've also produced a registration certificate - which is completely irrelevant.

So when people tell you that Apple is suing over a rectangle with rounded corners, ask them to put up or shut up.

That's EXACTLY what Apple sued for. (Apple-haters? )

This was already answered in the posts on page 4 here:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...=131344&page=4

You simply don't understand what you're looking at jragosta. If you'll calm yourself a bit and actually read all the links I provided on that page I suspect you'll "get it". Your biggest error is using definitions that apply to US Patents and Trademarks and assuming the same will hold true for Europe. They do not.
  • Reply 26 of 28

Well Katie bar the door (the old guys will get itimage)...

The former OpenWave, now rolled up in Unwired Planet, is prepping for another round of lawsuits targeting Apple (twice already), Google, Samsung and whoever else has a pocketful of cash. This time they come freshly armed with a parcel of patents courtesy of Ericsson. Just like Nokia, it appears Ericsson is on the patent monetizing hunt using outsourcing to 3rd parties as a cover. So go forth and file lawsuits brave U-P, and render unto Ericsson what is Ericsson's. Like at least 20% of the booty, and up to 70% of it if it's really good.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/10/unwired-planet-has-bought-2400-wireless-patents-from-ericsson-to-beef-up-its-patent-fights-against-google-apple-and-rim/

• Reply 27 of 28
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Of course, it's a bit more than just rounded corners.  That's just shorthand for "rounded corners, display with even borders, a shiny bezel, and rounded icons".  Those are Apple's claims in  their design patent lawsuits.   However, Apple themselves emphasized rounded corners above all else in their lawsuits.  For examples:

--

--

-------------------

It also didn't help that Apple claimed that NONE of those design items were functional  (this is a critical claim, as they cannot patent a functional design element):

Which has led at least one world judge to respond that rounded corners sure seem functional for holding comfort to him, and that a flush screen makes sense to keep dust out of corners.

So yes, Apple is not just claiming rounded rectangles.  They're claiming those in conjunction with a couple of other common design features.

That's why even the billion dollar California jury refused to convict Samsung's tablet design of infringing Apple's tablet design.

• Reply 28 of 28

While Apple hasn't (yet?) tried to use it in litigation AFAIK, they have finally succeeded in getting their US patent for a simple rounded rectangle shape used in a portable display device. Since it's just a tad broad IMO, I don't personally see how Apple could successfully defend it if challenged.

...and an article on it here: