Any way to delete songs uploaded with Match to iCloud?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I uploaded my library with iTunes Match, which was a trial in itself.

When I upgraded from iTunes 10.5 Beta 6 to Beta 7, my Match option disappeared on the left side of iTunes.

I search high and low and couldn't find any want to fix it so I just completely removed iTunes from my Mini running Lion and then did a fresh install of iTunes 10.5 Beta 7.

Yea! My Match feature is back!

But this I notice that I had some album in there that I forgot about that I actually didn't like and don't want in my iCloud.

I have none of my music local on my hard drive (as far as iTunes is concerned, do have my files backed up) and I only have an option to download anything that's in my iCloud local to iTunes.

I can select the songs I don't want and can right click and select delete but it doesn't do anything.

Has anyone figured out how to delete content from your iCloud Match uploads?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    ... And this guy is a developer?!?!
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Did I claim to be?

Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    ... You claim to be using devoper builds of "in-development" software ...

No, I don't think Apple really cares, but they Do state that their beta software is only for use by developers. In the few instances where they have released "public" Betas (I can think of only two), they made it quite clear that it was "use at your own risk".
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lokiju View Post

[...]I search high and low and couldn't find any want to fix it so I just completely removed[...]

By searched high and low, you mean searching right past the Store->Update iTunes Match option?

You don't constantly need that option viewable in your sidebar, and it's easily accessible through the menus. You can even just click on Help and type "itunes match" and it will take you straight to it.

I concur with King, this software isn't a friendly public beta, this is dev software. That doesn't mean no one is going to help you, but it does mean there is an expectation of problem solving ability, and you did kinda fail this time. But then again, that's how you learn for next time.

As far as your original question, deleting the cloud listings doesn't appear to be an option yet. We'll see in future releases.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Apple hasn't initiated that feature yet. Should be available upon final release.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Why don't you tell us how you managed to do it? Oh... you didn't? The dude asked a simple question that I am sure a lot of people are wondering. I also would imagine you paid apple $99 to become a developer too didn't you? Funny how anyone can be one if they pay $99 and download some software.... if you actually were a developer, you'd know that Apple hasn't initiated many parts of the music match service, they're limiting it to the core parts for the first roll out and you'd be able to have said that to the guy asking the question. Instead, you have no idea what you're talking about, you had NO answer to his question.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elitegangsta View Post

That last diatribe.

Hi. The saddest thing here is that you'll be banned instantaneously and you won't even be able to comprehend why.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    I'd guess it's the OP with a new name... (and thanks for the heads up, I'm amused!)

The point, though, was that if "the dude" really had any business running the beta, he'd know where to go to for answers (and it wouldn't be a public forum.)

... and no, my dickheaded ass did NOT "figure it out" because I'm smart enough to not be running beta software when I don't care to know enough about how to handle the problems that come with it.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Developer or not, it might prove good info for everyone in a few weeks.

for an example I will give details.

I had the album 21 by Adele in my iTunes library.. However, it was not properly tagged. Ie, i had 13 tracks instead of 11, 2 of them were named Rolling in the deep and Rumor has it. (do not ask why, but a smart person will understand)

Since i needed to get rid of 2 bad tracks i found the 2 bad tracks and used the Show Info right click option to show the details. I renamed everything inside the tag as "Unknown"

then via the Store menu, i resynced my library and viola, all was right.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    and also, in any case, it clearly states on the iTunes page that iCloud libraries will be Deleted at the end of the Beta.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Wow people sure have some hostility here.

I'm not a developer. I never claimed to be. I had a pretty straight forward question that didn't require such rude replies. (those that were actually helpful excluded of course)

It's always the same. Big tough replies in a manner most would never do face to face with someone just asking a question.

Perhaps in the future a simple restraint of ones self will be the choice that wins out over treating a complete stranger like an idiot.

I am an enthusiast. I am a fan of technology. I work for a large tech company and am an Systems Engineer. I know technology and understand the risk of using beta's.

I've enjoyed this sites articles but this is a terrible 1st impression of some of its member base.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lokiju View Post

Big tough replies in a manner most would never do face to face with someone just asking a question.

RIght, they'd just ignore you entirely and void your warranty (or worse) for having software you shouldn't.

Quote:

I know technology and understand the risk of using beta's.

Obviously not, as you've met one of the risks right here and don't seem to understand that what you're doing is wrong.

Quote:

I've enjoyed this sites articles but this is a terrible 1st impression of some of its member base.

And stealing prerelease software gives us a terrible first impression of you. We done?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

RIght, they'd just ignore you entirely and void your warranty (or worse) for having software you shouldn't.

Obviously not, as you've met one of the risks right here and don't seem to understand that what you're doing is wrong.

And stealing prerelease software gives us a terrible first impression of you. We done?

Stay classy.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Okay, are we all done being mean to each other?

Yes?

Great. Here's the answer to the OP's question:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4915

Right click, choose delete, tick the "also delete this song from iCloud" box.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wreckless View Post

Okay, are we all done being mean to each other?

Yes?

Great. Here's the answer to the OP's question:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4915

Right click, choose delete, tick the "also delete this song from iCloud" box.

The problem with the above suggestion is that it will also delete the track listing within iTunes itself, along with all the metadata (playlists, playcount, last played date, etc.) You're throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Some folks will want to delete the song from the cloud, but keep the local song. And deleting from iTunes to re-add it later means you'll lose metadata.

A better way to go about this, I've found, is this:

Consider turning off iTunes Match while you do this procedure. Quit iTunes.

Hold down the OPTION key while re-launching iTunes. A dialog will appear. Create a brand new library, call it whatever you want ("iTunes TEMP" should do.) Then turn on iTunes Match for this library. It will then download the whole index of songs that have been sent to the cloud (via matching, uploading, or because you've purchased them) in this new library you've created. Then you can simply select all of these tracks, hit delete -- and it will delete these songs from iTunes Match. Your iTunes Match is now empty. Then turn off iTunes Match , and quit iTunes.

Hold down the OPTION key while launching iTunes... and this time, select your original iTunes library.

(After you've determined that all is well, you can safely delete that other "iTunes TEMP" folder.)

Note that if/when you turn iTunes Match back on, it will rescan your library and will likely upload new copies of the songs you previously matched/uploaded and then deleted from the cloud.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Hello All

So I have been trying to find an answer to this for a couple weeks, thanks for all who replied, it was helpful!

My situation is a little different...

I am trying to disable a specific computer from iTunes match. I would like to delete all the songs that it uploaded to the cloud as well. The reason being, it almost mirrors my home computer exactly. The only thing that I dont like is that it has now added all these songs with 4 letter codes as the song name such as "XCDY" The reason it shows those is because I uploaded all the music from my iPod to my computer and imported those songs into iTunes. I think that is Apple's punishment for uploading music from their device because we all know they don't want us doing it.

Most of the XCDY songs are in fact duplicates, so now they are showing on my home computer and my iPhone. I know I should have left well enough alone and not activated Match on my work computer, but sadly I get a little "tech-excited" and dont think things through.

So my question is: can you delete an entire (secondary) iTunes library from Match without it affecting your main music source (my home computer for instance) I know that you can disable a computer from your iTunes account but I dont know if that will remove all the songs from Match. It would be great to be able to log in to your Match account to manage it!

I have all my music backed up to an external drive but i would rather not have to re-import because it screws up all my playlists.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!