Rumor: Apple's iCloud powered by Microsoft, Amazon servers

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 149
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Butt.... Butt.... What about the MacPro and its capabilities. Massive MacPro's in a massive building with massive power and massive Steve Smiling on them all. See ya at the Mother ship Steve.

There were many predictions of Apple using MiniMacs for servers.
  • Reply 142 of 149
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member
    If anything Apple would partner with Joyent (Sun reborn), VMware (cloudfront) or Akami. Azure and Amazon EC2 have had reliability issues.
  • Reply 143 of 149
    If this is true it's absolutely absurd and reveals a weakness that will most definitely be exploited in the future if Apple doesn't take control of it's own server hardware situation. I wouldn't really be concerned if Apple hadn't destroyed it's own server line without ever making a serious software development commitment to it, but relying on companies that are bent on your demise to provide a critical services for you. If Apple still had and was building their server business I could at least believe that using MS and Amazon were merely stop gap measures.I guess Apple won't realize until they've helped Microsoft perfect their Cloud software for a transition to Windows 7 mobile exclusively 2-3 years from now.
  • Reply 144 of 149
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 145 of 149
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Now if only the regulars here could get past:

For Apple to win, Google has to lose.

For Apple to win, Amazon has to lose.

For Apple to win, Samsung has to lose.

etc. ad infinitum....

thats different as it is the same consumer space.
  • Reply 146 of 149
    deleted
  • Reply 147 of 149
    deleted
  • Reply 148 of 149
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    It looks as tho Apple made a wise choice in depending on Amazon servers. ArsTechnica has published a report proclaiming:

"Amazon's S3 Simple Storage Service has outperformed Microsoft's Windows Azure Storage and all other major providers in an extensive study testing the feasibility of businesses using cloud services for primary storage, data protection, and disaster recovery. . . with Amazon's error rate at "effectively zero" and Microsoft close to it."

As some others have noted, Apple is smart to stick with what they know best and not try to do everything themselves.

http://arstechnica.com/business/news...orage-test.ars
  • Reply 149 of 149
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Mac users choose not to use Windows on their own computers, but that doesn't mean that they are not affected by Windows - nor do I know of anyone who ever made that silly claim.

You mean *some* Mac users choose not to use Windows. It's not an either/or proposition.