help with ftp

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, I am trying to figure out how to upload to those ftp sites so I can download MP3s. I am REALLY new to this. I just found out about audiogalaxy.com but found some of the ftp sites are the only way to get what I want. So how do I go about uploading to them?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    You can use OSX's built-in command line ftp client. If you want a GUI, I'd recommend Panic Software's <a href="http://www.panic.com/transmit/index.html"; target="_blank">Transmit</a>.

edit: added link

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    Yeah Frog, I think Transmit sounds like what you need.

Here's a different FTP question for anyone who might be able to help.

I'm trying to use CrushFTP as the front end for the built in OS X FTP, but it keeps reporting Port 21 as busy. I've tried other ports with no luck.

Any idea what's going on with that? I've got Enable FTP checked on in Sharing in the System Prefs. Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    [quote]Originally posted by seb:

<strong>I'm trying to use CrushFTP as the front end for the built in OS X FTP, but it keeps reporting Port 21 as busy. I've tried other ports with no luck.

Any idea what's going on with that? I've got Enable FTP checked on in Sharing in the System Prefs. Thanks!</strong><hr></blockquote>

seb

I may be missing something here but FTP Filesharing is an FTP server. CrushFTP is also an FTP server.

When you say you are trying to use Crush as the "front end" are you trying to use it as an FTP client?

FTP uses ports 20 and 21(21 is for passive FTP IIRC).
  • Reply 4 of 4
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    heh. Guess I could've been a little more clear.

I'm using CrushFTP as the server. It says Port 21 busy, trying again. It does that for 5 seconds, then repeats. It does this whether the FTP box in Preferences is checked on or not.

I was under the impression that this app is simply a front end to the built-in FTP in MacOS X. Is that not right?

BTW, port 20 doesn't work either...busy.