Sprint court filing against AT&T merger suggests it will get iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A court filing in Sprint's lawsuit to block AT&T's acquisition of T-Mobile lauds Apple's iPhone as "iconic" and suggests that the third place US carrier's inability to carry the iPhone is about to end.

The comment, published by Nilay Patel of This is my next, argues that the existing scale of AT&T and Verizon Wireless caused Apple to first forge an exclusive partnership with AT&T and then add Verizon.

This provided the two largest carriers with a "time to market advantage for the iPhone," and Sprint notes that it "has had to compete without access to the iPhone for nearly five years."

Sprint calls the top two carriers the "Twin Bells," and says they "had had a tremendous time to market advantage with the iPhone, and have been able to lock many customers into two year contracts with the iconic device."

Credible rumors have been swirling around Sprint's ability to carry the next generation of Apple's iPhones later this fall when the new iPhone 5 and what is believed to be a revamped, cost effective version of iPhone 4 are expected to ship.

Sprint is seeking to block the AT&T / T-Mobile deal now, and is using the iPhone as an example of how scale could hold back smaller players from competing nationally. Fourth place carrier T-Mobile's patent company Deutsche Telecom similarly noted that the minor US carrier's inability to sell the iPhone has hampered its ability to retain customers.

The German firm's chief executive Rene Obermann said T-Mobile's customer churn rate in the US is being driven by iPhone defectors. "Consumers like T-Mobile but they also want to have the iPhone," which T-Mobile USA "has no chance of getting in the short term."

Once Sprint gets the iPhone, its argument blocking AT&T's acquisition of T-Mobile on the basis of access to the iPhone would fall flat, as it would essentially be preventing T-Mobile's customers from getting the iPhone, too. AT&T is arguing in favor of its proposed acquisition in a federal case brought by the U.S. Department of Justice, as well as in the Sprint case that is also seeking to block the deal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A court filing in Sprint's lawsuit to block AT&T's acquisition of T-Mobile lauds Apple's iPhone as "iconic" and suggests that the third place US carrier's inability to carry the iPhone is about to end. ...

There is nothing in the language at all to suggest that Sprint is getting the iPhone. They probably are, but nothing here indicates it.

Quote:

The comment, published by Nilay Patel of This is my next, (sic) ...

... and here is the flaw right here.

"This Is My Next" is often wrong, always boring, and desperate for stories pretty much all the time.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

A court filing in Sprint's lawsuit to block AT&T's acquisition of T-Mobile lauds Apple's iPhone as "iconic" and suggests that the third place US carrier's inability to carry the iPhone is about to end.

The comment, published by Nilay Patel of This is my next, argues that the existing scale of AT&T and Verizon Wireless caused Apple to first forge an exclusive partnership with AT&T and then add Verizon.

This provided the two largest carriers with a "time to market advantage for the iPhone," and Sprint notes that it "has had to compete without access to the iPhone for nearly five years."

Sprint calls the top two carriers the "Twin Bells," and says they "had had a tremendous time to market advantage with the iPhone, and have been able to lock many customers into two year contracts with the iconic device."

Credible rumors have been swirling around Sprint's ability to carry the next generation of Apple's iPhones later this fall when the new iPhone 5 and what is believed to be a revamped, cost effective version of iPhone 4 are expected to ship.

Sprint is seeking to block the AT&T / T-Mobile deal now, and is using the iPhone as an example of how scale could hold back smaller players from competing nationally. Fourth place carrier T-Mobile's patent company Deutsche Telecom similarly noted that the minor US carrier's inability to sell the iPhone has hampered its ability to retain customers.

The German firm's chief executive Rene Obermann said T-Mobile's customer churn rate in the US is being driven by iPhone defectors. "Consumers like T-Mobile but they also want to have the iPhone," which T-Mobile USA "has no chance of getting in the short term."

Once Sprint gets the iPhone, its argument blocking AT&T's acquisition of T-Mobile on the basis of access to the iPhone would fall flat, as it would essentially be preventing T-Mobile's customers from getting the iPhone, too. AT&T is arguing in favor of its proposed acquisition in a federal case brought by the U.S. Department of Justice, as well as in the Sprint case that is also seeking to block the deal.

Where does Sprint "suggest it will get iPhone?" What of the headline?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    So Sprint is going to abandon its entire infrastructure and switch to GSM/LTE? That's why the want to buy TMobile?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    There is nothing in that statement that says Sprint is getting the iPhone. It's a statement of fact that Sprint has had to compete without the benefit of carrying the iPhone for nearly 5 years, because guess what!? The iPhone has been out for nearly 5 years! Someone is in real need of reading comprehension skills.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    There isn't any indication in the wording that suggests that they will get the iPhone. They are just stating that they haven't had it for 5 years, which is a fact, they haven't had it for 5 years (to date).
  • Reply 6 of 12
    T-Mobile's patent company Deutsche Telecom

should be

T-Mobile's parent company Deutsche Telecom
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

There is nothing in the language at all to suggest that Sprint is getting the iPhone. They probably are, but nothing here indicates it.

... and here is the flaw right here.

"This Is My Next" is often wrong, always boring, and desperate for stories pretty much all the time.

Sprint notes that it "has had to compete without access to the iPhone for nearly five years."

That suggests that it's getting the iPhone. If not, they would've said, "has had to compete without access to the iPhone for at least five years."

We'll all know when Apple announce the next iphone... Maybe Apple will make Sprint wait until April like Verizon did this year... In that case, Sprint will announce it next year like Verizon did this year.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    The term "time to market advantage" here means "they got a head start" or "they got the iPhone first". Those meanings only make sense if Sprint is going to get the iPhone.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Is Sprint the "third-place carrier" referred to? Since there are 3 carriers previously mentioned in the sentence, shouldn't it just say "Sprint" if that's what the author means? How is the reader supposed to know who the third-place carrier is?

Is this like "The Cupertino-based company?" I don't think so.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    A desperate "headline" from reading between one sentence.

Sprint will get it when Apple is ready to give it to them.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Wow.....from all the coments I have read, there seems to be a consensus of doubt.

I wonder also; considering, just to tour Sprints site, you have to use flash.

Using this iPad for more than a year now, I don't miss flash at all!... could care less about it!

On this pad, I (www) every ware i choose to go darn immediately.

Information is oh so accessible. would like an iPhone. Don't really need one yet.

But, in this pissing contest between Apple and Adobe, I don't see Sprint becoming a player unless they capitulate to Apple.

As a consumer, I know what I like. What works. Who gets my money. Why? How good are they? A zillion requirements for my patronage..hehe..

Sprint will not get the iPhone. :-(
  • Reply 12 of 12
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

What's the problem? They had all those awesome market-dominating Android phones, didn't they?