Apple rumored to unveil 3G-capable iPod touch this month

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple as soon as this month could introduce a new iPod touch model with an integrated 3G radio for connectivity on the go, according to a new rumor.

Citing an anonymous source, AppleNApps reported on Wednesday that Apple's new iPod touch will be like a "mini-iPad" carrying the same integrated access to high-speed 3G data networks as Apple's touchscreen tablet. The report said that Apple and its carrier partners have allegedly worked out non-contract plans similar to ones available for the iPad.

A reason for this alleged push is iCloud, Apple's seamless syncing and sharing service set to arrive this fall. By adding a 3G radio to the iPod touch, users could stay connected on the go, just like those with an iPhone or 3G iPad.

The new iPod touch will reportedly look "very similar" to the current fourth-generation model, released last September. The device will not feature voice capabilities, remaining data-only, the report said.

The source reportedly cautioned that there is "no guarantee" that Apple's new iPod touch will have 3G connectivity built in, but said that the changes "should make it."

Rumors of a 3G-capable iPod touch are not new, but so far Apple has only included Wi-Fi connectivity, along with Bluetooth, in its iOS-powered device. iPad models with a 3G radio carry a $130 premium over their Wi-Fi-only counterparts in the U.S.

There was evidence earlier this year that Apple could add integrated 3G to its MacBook Air lineup. In addition, a pre-production prototype of a 2007 MacBook Pro with a 3G radio surfaced last month, revealing Apple's internal work on bringing 3G to devices beyond the iPhone and iPad.

Apple is expected to hold an event in the coming weeks to introduce its next-generation iPhone, along with an updated iPod touch. A handful of leaked parts have suggested that Apple plans to release a white variant of the iPod touch, much like the company did with the iPhone 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 89
    I'm guessing that the recent leaks for a bigger and thinner case is most likely for a 4.3" iPod touch 3G. I just found those leaked cases too wide to be able to hold it in hands properly when you put it next to your ear.

As for people who said iPods don't have mute switch that's true, but why wouldn't Apple add it in the 5th gen iPod ? iPad has a mute/rotation switch.
  • Reply 2 of 89
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I think this makes mucho sense on many levels and would even consider this option over an iPhone if it had the same quality display as the iPhone.
  • Reply 3 of 89
    Will this add a gps function too?

This would make the best Skype phone ever!
  • Reply 4 of 89
    801801 Posts: 271member
    I believe that Apple would like to ultimately undermine the phone industry. This would be the device to drive the wedge to do so. Besides, there must be some greater plan for the new Clouds they are building, beyond sync data, sell apps and run the voice command functions. These functions seem to overlap the very function of a phone company. Steve works slowly, but insidiously, in his plans. The only thing missing is the cell towers. And that might be only a matter of money.

Just a thought.
  • Reply 5 of 89
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    So instead of 3 model (16, 32, 64 GB.) we will have 12 (black one, white one, 3G black, 3G white)? Insane.
  • Reply 6 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

I believe that Apple would like to ultimately undermine the phone industry. This would be the device to drive the wedge to do so.

No, it's the EXACT OPPOSITE of undermining the telecoms to include telephony hardware in your product?

If Apple wanted to "undermine" them, they'd back a nationwide 802.22 network and rely on VoIP instead of adding a 3G chip to a product that doesn't need it.
  • Reply 7 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a-maze View Post

The only problem with it will be a battery life while 3g is on. No way it's going to last for more than a few hours, thus you would not be able to use it as a skype/facetime "phone" available to receive calls round-the-clock.
  • Reply 8 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

I believe that Apple would like to ultimately undermine the phone industry. This would be the device to drive the wedge to do so. Besides, there must be some greater plan for the new Clouds they are building, beyond sync data, sell apps and run the voice command functions. These functions seem to overlap the very function of a phone company. Steve works slowly, but insidiously, in his plans. The only thing missing is the cell towers. And that might be only a matter of money.

Actually, there are lots of cell towers. The biggest problem is that they are mostly in Southeast Asia and Western Europe.

Apple isn't paying for cell towers. Apple considers mobile operators to be dumb pipes, a utility like the garbage company.
  • Reply 9 of 89
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

So instead of 3 model (16, 32, 64 GB.) we will have 12 (black one, white one, 3G black, 3G white)? Insane.

Offering cellular tech might be away to hide the fact that you can't feasibly double the NAND capacity again this year.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, it's the EXACT OPPOSITE of undermining the telecoms to include telephony hardware in your product?

If Apple wanted to "undermine" them, they'd back a nationwide 802.22 network and rely on VoIP instead of adding a 3G chip to a product that doesn't need it.

I think he has a point. The cellular companies want more than to simply sell you data, they want to force on you voice and SMS plans. At least in the US, I don't think there is a phone plan that will give you data without forcing you to take talk time. I know AT&T makes me take 450 minutes per month, of which I'm lucky to use 50 for peak times.

With a data-only device and they foray into messaging with iMessages all they can sell the customer is data packages. Unfortunately for us they are likely to charge what they charge a USB '3G' card for data so the rates per GB will likely be higher than what comes with a smartphone. Hopefully we'll see some competition on that front to bring down the costs, but I doubt it.
  • Reply 10 of 89
    This will increase the number of stores selling iPTs (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, Vodafone, etc.), and add a pricier iPT option. Clever of Apple, if true.
  • Reply 11 of 89
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    5" or 7" iPod touch coming soon... Apple has always said that the iPad wouldn't drop below its current size because of software constraints... But a true "just a bigger" iPod touch would work and it would undermine all the other 7" tablets being released, especially if they kept the price low.

iPod touch, starting at $149.

iPod touch XL, starting at $299

iPad, starting at $499

iPhone 4s, free with contract, $299 unlocked.

iPhone 5, $199 with contract, $599 unlocked

Game over.
  • Reply 12 of 89
    Quote:

Why does a Skype phone need GPS? Or are you making separate points?
  • Reply 13 of 89
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

iPod touch XL, starting at $299

You know, 5.5" iPT5 3G with better camera at that price would destroy Amazon tablet right then and there.
  • Reply 14 of 89
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Second iPhone. I called it.
  • Reply 15 of 89
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    a device like this would save me tons of money. all my kids do with their iPhones is text and download apps.....

would be cool if true......
  • Reply 16 of 89
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

The current 16 and 32 GB iPod touches cost $299 and $399. The 16 and 32 GB iPhone 4s cost $649 and $749.

So, how much would a 3G iPod touch cost? The same $129 premium as on the the iPad? That would leave a $320 premium for the slightly better display (wider viewing angle), camera, metal chassis, microphone and actual GSM/3G voice capability of the iPhone 4.

Something has to give here unless actual non-VoIP phone capacity can really command such a huge premium. What likely will happen is that Apple will slightly up the 3G premium (maybe to $150), will slightly reduce the iPhone 4 price, maybe to $600.

But the fact will be that most people will hate to carry an extra device for GSM-coverage voice (you cannot do Skype over pure GSM or even pure GRSP, though Edge will do if the signal is strong enough). Of course, in the US where most carriers refuse to sell data-only or data+low minute plans for smartphones, a 3G iPod touch might get an additional boost.
  • Reply 17 of 89
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

With a data-only device and they foray into messaging with iMessages all they can sell the customer is data packages. Unfortunately for us they are likely to charge what they charge a USB '3G' card for data so the rates per GB will likely be higher than what comes with a smartphone. Hopefully we'll see some competition on that front to bring down the costs, but I doubt it.

That is the issue. Will you be able to get data plans like the $15 a month AT&T iPad but on multiple carriers and international SIMS as well when traveling?
  • Reply 18 of 89
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    iPod 3G-capable... sounds like a regular iPhone to me. Maybe this is actually going to be the new iPhone?!
  • Reply 19 of 89
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think this makes mucho sense on many levels and would even consider this option over an iPhone if it had the same quality display as the iPhone.

Thats why i think it wont happen. Why would att sell data only for the device if thessy can sell voice and text for like 30 bucks extra ( if we assume ipad's 250 meg plan). I dunno with imessage this move could make the iphone absolete and overpriced (in an unlocked state). It took apple four generations to add a mic to the touch.

The only way this would be feasable is if the touch gets rediculousely low data plan, like 100 meg tops. We'll have to see but i am betting one dollar against 3g touch.
  • Reply 20 of 89
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Why does a Skype phone need GPS? Or are you making separate points?

Related points, being limited to WiFi means GPS is of much more limited use (since you likely are in place you know well when using WiFi: your home, your office, your hotel, an Airport), you cannot walk around in a city (or outside a city) and use GPS if you are Wifi only, GPS without the additional data is much less fun. Thus coupling 3G with GPS, as it is done on the iPad, makes a lot of sense.