Emailer and Yahoo Authenticated SMTP?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I received this email message from Yahoo today:

[quote]Important service announcement regarding changes to your POP/SMTP settings. Please read on.

In order to enhance your email experience, beginning on January 30, 2002, Yahoo! Mail will begin using authenticated SMTP to send mail from POP3 clients such as Outlook and Eudora. You are receiving this message because you have recently used a POP3 email client to read your Yahoo! Mail. If you do not take the actions described below, you may not be able to send messages from your POP3 email client after this date.<hr></blockquote>

Sounds like I won't be able to retrieve my email from my Yahoo accounts with Emailer any longer. Is this true? If so, I may have to switch to Outlook , which I would rather not. Any advice would be appreciated.

matthew

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: zonetuke ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Looks like I'm screwed.

[quote]Claris Emailer does not support SMTP Authentication directly as it has not been updated for some time, but due to its popularity among Macintosh users we have found a way it can be used. Through using a freeware application called Baton Mail, which works as a "go-between" between Emailer and our mail servers, you can continue to use Emailer as your preferred e-mail application.<hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.itsamac.com/smtpauth.shtml#claris"; target="_blank">http://www.itsamac.com/smtpauth.shtml#claris</a>;

I may have to consider switching to another email client. I always dreaded this moment
  • Reply 2 of 3
    SMTP is for sending mail. You will be able to get your mail from Yahoo! but not send through your client. If you want to send mail, you need to find a client that supports SMTP authorization.

--Mike
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Well, I looked at Green, Musashi, SweetMail and Outlook Express. I think I'll go with the last choice.