Hon Hai reportedly boosts Q3 iPad 2 production from 14 million to 20 million

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Strong demand for Apple's iPad 2 has prompted its component assembler Hon Hai Precision to reportedly increase its projected shipment figures for the third quarter by 42.8 percent.

According to a report by Taiwan Economic News , Hon Hai said it was normal for shipment forecasts to surge in Q3, but it declined to comment on the actual figures.

Apple sold 9.25 million iPads in the second calendar quarter of 2011 (the company's fiscal Q3) after selling just 4.69 million in the first three months of the year.

The company's difficulties in building enough iPads to meet demand appeared to be further jeopardized by a tragic earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan, but Apple noted that its production was not significantly harmed by the events.

Chief executive Tim Cook also noted that if Apple could have built more iPads, it could have sold more. With Hon Hai's iPad production reportedly increasing, market research group iSuppli has revised its own projections for global tablet sales, now forecasting that Apple will sell 44.2 million units this year.

That firm's increased outlook for Apple adds just 600,000 new units to its previous projection, but it added just 1.1 million units to its estimate for global tablet projection over the same period, essentially assuming that Apple would make up more than half of all those new tablets anticipated.

The revised numbers also give Apple a 74 percent share of global tablet production this year, compared to the previous assumption that the iPad would make up 64 percent of all tablet sales worldwide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    15 million other tablets? Doubtful.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

Yeah, but that's "shipped". I have no doubt that "other" can hit 15mil tablets shipped. How many actually sell-through though is another story entirely.

I wonder how many folks who explicitly don't want an iPad and are eyeing Android tablets are simply waiting for the next HP'esque fire sale?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Apple is about to achieve orbital velocity
  • Reply 4 of 19
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    43.7M out of 58.9M is 74%, not 64%.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

43.7M out of 58.9M is 74%, not 64%.

... and the revised percentage is actually a few points less than 74%.

"...essentially assuming that Apple would make up more than half of all those new tablets anticipated."

Obviously that's not the only thing being made up here.

Please, Daniel, don't drink while writing.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    The iPad has a 95%+ market share of tablets actually sold. Every survey or projection that states otherwise is bogus.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

Hon high?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    HP is out. RIM will revamp and cancel their current Tablet.

Samsung is hamstrung in various markets.

HTC is next.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    So…

Apple sold 4M in Q1, close to 10M in Q2, is expected to sell 20 M in Q3 (according to this report)

This totals to (roughly) 34M by end of Q3. If Q4 (traditionally the best, only equals the 20M, that will be 54 M - almost 25% over the iSupply estimates.

Of course some of these produced in Q3 will not be sold until Q4, but that looks huge. Analysts are giving number from 11 M to 18.9 M. 20M does seem a little pie in the sky.

Still, if CQ4 beats Q3, we could still see 55M for the year. That would be pretty darn good.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The revised numbers also give Apple a 74 percent share of global tablet production this year, compared to the previous assumption that the iPad would make up 64 percent of all tablet sales worldwide

S'funny, but I've never ever noticed anybody on the train looking at anything other than an iPad. Where do these 64% numbers coming from? Who are these 36% who claim that they never bought an iPad?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

HTC is next.

Apple has more lawyers than anybody.

They will CRUSH HTC. Dead.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    I wonder where the jackasses disappeared to. What jackasses? The jackasses that swore on their mothers that the iPad was a temporary fad and that only a few Apple iSheep would ever consider using one. After all, who needs a device that's only good for consumption, costs twice the price of a versatile Windows netbook and totally crippled for any business use. I guess those jackasses went to the same place where the jackasses who said television would never replace the radio and that automobiles would never replace horses.

The hordes of iSheep must be growing at a pretty large rate. Maybe up to the 50+ million range by the end of the year. Apple iPad 1, jackasses 0.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I wonder where the jackasses disappeared to. What jackasses? The jackasses that swore on their mothers that the iPad was a temporary fad and that only a few Apple iSheep would ever consider using one. After all, who needs a device that's only good for consumption, costs twice the price of a versatile Windows netbook and totally crippled for any business use. I guess those jackasses went to the same place where the jackasses who said television would never replace the radio and that automobiles would never replace horses.

The hordes of iSheep must be growing at a pretty large rate. Maybe up to the 50+ million range by the end of the year. Apple iPad 1, jackasses 0.

I'd wager many of them will read your post from their iPads.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Looks like Apple should hit a minimum of 50 million iPads sold in 2011.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'd wager many of them will read your post from their iPads.

A lot of them are probably reading from their iPod touches and closeout $99 TouchPads from their mommies' basements since mommy wouldn't buy them an iPad (after all, mommy still thinks sonny boy hates iPads although she loves hers). Well, they can read long enough until they need to leave for their jobs at the burger joint.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

A lot of them are probably reading from their iPod touches and closeout $99 TouchPads from their mommies' basements since mommy wouldn't buy them an iPad (after all, mommy still thinks sonny boy hates iPads although she loves hers).

With relatively so few TouchPads being sold and other tablets costing more than the iPad with less performance I figure they all got iPads. After all, when someone mentions "Hey how do you like your iPad?" they can bitch and moan about how Apple's monopolistic practices forced them into buying the evil device that is stifling competition for others. Soapbox not included.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Nah, we're talking about jackasses on tech rumor boards. While it seems like there are tens of millions of them , in reality there are probably only ten thousand active participants here and many of them can also be found at MacRumors, Cnet, Engadget, Gizmodo, TUAW, whatever.

The jackasses probably bought out the closeout inventory of TouchPads. Let's say there are eight thousand active jackasses, plus another 12 thousand part-time/infrequent jackasses. That would mean an additional 30,000 TouchPads sold. That should be in line with TouchPad sales to date.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Harsh, but pertinent.

Quote:

A lot of them are probably reading from their iPod touches and closeout $99 TouchPads from their mommies' basements since mommy wouldn't buy them an iPad (after all, mommy still thinks sonny boy hates iPads although she loves hers). Well, they can read long enough until they need to leave for their jobs at the burger joint.

Quote:

Nah, we're talking about jackasses on tech rumor boards. While it seems like there are tens of millions of them , in reality there are probably only ten thousand active participants here and many of them can also be found at MacRumors, Cnet, Engadget, Gizmodo, TUAW, whatever.

The jackasses probably bought out the closeout inventory of TouchPads. Let's say there are eight thousand active jackasses, plus another 12 thousand part-time/infrequent jackasses. That would mean an additional 30,000 TouchPads sold. That should be in line with TouchPad sales to date.

• Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

S'funny, but I've never ever noticed anybody on the train looking at anything other than an iPad. Where do these 64% numbers coming from? Who are these 36% who claim that they never bought an iPad?

Here in the UK it is now either the S2 or the Ipad I mostly see.

There are a few less iPhones, no doubt because they also have an iPad.

I'm mildly surprised they never named the enormous Galaxy Note the Galaxy Whopper.