Apple releases iTunes 10.5 beta 8 to developers along with new iWork for iOS apps

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple has made available an eighth beta release of iTunes 10.5 to developers, focusing on bug fixes and improvements. The update is available alongside a new release of iWork for iOS beta 3.

The new iTunes update focuses on support for iCloud among iOS devices and apps, including tighter requirements for apps using iCloud Documents & Data to identify their cloud-stored documents securely.

The update also refines iTunes Match, a song delivery service included under the iCloud umbrella of Apple's online services. Devices that enable iCloud Backup will now automatically disable backup through iTunes, accelerating the iTunes sync process.

Apple continues to refine iOS 5, iTunes, Apple TV, and Mac OS X Lion and Snow Leopard releases to launch its full iCloud service smoothly, apparently taking care not to repeat the rushed, problematic and very embarrassing launch fiascos of MobileMe back in 2008.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    This is pretty clear to me that beta 8 will be the last beta. GM after that.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I just wonder when Apple is going to make iTunes faster on large collections (500k ++). It's way to sluggish even on my rig, beach ball hell all the time can anyone say database?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Hopefully this fixes the random crashes in iTunes beta 7. Still the usual bugs present in the iOS betas (mostly music.app related which persist until GM). Issues remain with iMessage (can't back out of adding an image from the camera). Random weirdness with the iPhone, phone vibrates non stop and locks up (still vibrating) when a call is received. Hopefully these are already fixed awaiting GM release.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Garamond View Post

I just wonder when Apple is going to make iTunes faster on large collections (500k ++). It's way to sluggish even on my rig, beach ball hell all the time can anyone say database?

Half a million songs? That's nearly three times larger than Friedwals's (music writer for the New York Sun) "The Matrix" who claimed that he had the world's largest iTunes collection,

Not sure if iTunes was ever designed to manage such a collection.

By the way, just how much does it take of your 10 TB drives?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Half a million songs? That's nearly three times larger than Friedwals's (music writer for the New York Sun) "The Matrix" who claimed that he had the world's largest iTunes collection,

Not sure if iTunes was ever designed to manage such a collection.

By the way, just how much does it take of your 10 TB drives?

Actually, my collection contains of my own songs, Friedwals collection (he was kind enough to make me a copy) and a third collection which was just as big. I still don't think I have the world's largest collection - but related to iTunes sluggishness I don't think there are many over me.

I have crammed it onto a 3TB-drive, only 2GB free now - so there is a need to find some better solutions soon.

Amount of songs so far: 502,273
  • Reply 6 of 6
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Garamond View Post

Actually, my collection contains of my own songs, Friedwals collection (he was kind enough to make me a copy) and a third collection which was just as big. I still don't think I have the world's largest collection - but related to iTunes sluggishness I don't think there are many over me.

I have crammed it onto a 3TB-drive, only 2GB free now - so there is a need to find some better solutions soon.

Amount of songs so far: 502,273

I deal with significantly large data bases. I would be hard pressed to recommend anything under 10% be kept free. More like 20% free space.

But more important, I am not sure Apple if there is a limit for what iTunes can handle.

On a similar subject, I had to call Microsoft because I couldn't get a 12,500 plus page word document to paginate or print. They called me back four days later to tell me that I maxed Word out. At that time, it could only handle just under 11,000 pages. Not sure what it could handle today.