Buying Advice

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My old laptop just died so I'm in need of a replacement. I want a Macbook, but was hoping to wait until the next spring when it is thought that the Pro lineup will be redesigned. My question is what will have the best resale value next spring/summer, a 13" Pro or a 13" Air? I'm thinking about getting one of the two now, selling it and then picking up the refresh when it comes out next year. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:

next spring when it is thought that the Pro lineup will be redesigned.

That's totally not the case (HA GET IT. CASE. REDESIGN. CASE REDESIGN.). Don't expect redesigns; they don't happen often.

As for updates, follow Intel's chip releases. And this.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I thought there was some discussion about possible changes to the design of the Pro lineup earlier this year?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gtavc View Post

I thought there was some discussion about possible changes to the design of the Pro lineup earlier this year?

The 13" MacBook Pro will be dropped in 2013, but other than that, there's no real chance of any design changes.

Don't ask how I know that.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I like the form factor of the Air, so I suppose I'll just get that and see how things look later. A 15" version would be very nice though.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The 13" MacBook Pro will be dropped in 2013, but other than that, there's no real chance of any design changes.

Yes I'm sure insider knowledge two years in advance right? It's really quite possible anyway considering they've stated the air form factor is how they see the future of the line. Apple will have to make a choice about what processor models they want to use when deciding form factors. Some of the more powerful ones may run too hot in such a compact device.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Yes I'm sure insider knowledge two years in advance right?

Do you really think the companies important to hardware development don't already know that sort of thing years in advance? Seriously?

Quote:

Apple will have to make a choice about what processor models they want to use when deciding form factors. Some of the more powerful ones may run too hot in such a compact device.

Don't worry. Traditional laptop processors stop existing about the same time. Power draw stops being an issue.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    No body likes being forced into a hardware purchase due to broken computers. Is the current one beyond repair?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gtavc View Post

My old laptop just died so I'm in need of a replacement. I want a Macbook,

Mac Books are dead all Apple has is Mac Book Pros and AIRs.

Quote:

but was hoping to wait until the next spring when it is thought that the Pro lineup will be redesigned.

Well that would be a very good idea if it weren't for the broken machine. However realize that it will be later than spring if the rumored Ivy Bridge delays are true. It would be very wise to wait for Ivy Bridge and the new MBP hardware.

[/quote] My question is what will have the best resale value next spring/summer, a 13" Pro or a 13" Air? I'm thinking about getting one of the two now, selling it and then picking up the refresh when it comes out next year. Thanks[/QUOTE]

This is tuff. The question is what hardware do you need. More so what software do you normally run. In the end two things define what you need in a laptop software and data storage. If the AIR can handle your needs I'm going to guess that it would be your best choice. Just realize the unique performance profile of the AIR.

However realize I'm not a big fan of quick hardware turn arounds. You would be far better off simply buying a computer today that would remain viable for you for a few years. It is sort of like leasing a car which can make sense for a limited number of people, bu the thrifty buy and then keep a car for years. Admittedly computers are different as they have consistently increased in performance every year. But the fact remains if you can keep the hardware for three years you will save a great deal of money.

Much of this position on computers was learned the hardway back in the 486 days. The constant updating To slightly better hardware or a processor drains a lot of cash out of ones pocket. Better to buy as much performance as you can afford and keep it for a couple of years. Unless you have a really good reason buying hardware with plans to upgrade in six months is just bad economics.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Design changes may or may not happen to the case but the internals are sure to change in that time frame. I'd go so far as to call them significant design changes.

In any event your post is most unhelpful to the original poster.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Do you really think the companies important to hardware development don't already know that sort of thing years in advance? Seriously?

I'm certain that upper level management is in fact aware of what many suppliers have PLANNED for 2013. However those are plans. More so it is well known that Apple explores multiple concepts for every product it produces, so in reality many paths could be followed to 2013.

Quote:

Don't worry. Traditional laptop processors stop existing about the same time. Power draw stops being an issue.

Yeah right! Any processor without x86 support is useless for a good portion of Apples user base. Even if x86 is dropped the reality is that power draw will always be an issue.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Yeah right! Any processor without x86 support is useless for a good portion of Apples user base. Even if x86 is dropped the reality is that power draw will always be an issue.

Oh, no no no no no, I'm not talking about switching from Intel to ARM. I'm talking about Intel proper. Switching to ARM would be idiotic.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

No body likes being forced into a hardware purchase due to broken computers. Is the current one beyond repair?

Mac Books are dead all Apple has is Mac Book Pros and AIRs.

Well that would be a very good idea if it weren't for the broken machine. However realize that it will be later than spring if the rumored Ivy Bridge delays are true. It would be very wise to wait for Ivy Bridge and the new MBP hardware.

My question is what will have the best resale value next spring/summer, a 13" Pro or a 13" Air? I'm thinking about getting one of the two now, selling it and then picking up the refresh when it comes out next year. Thanks[/QUOTE]

This is tuff. The question is what hardware do you need. More so what software do you normally run. In the end two things define what you need in a laptop software and data storage. If the AIR can handle your needs I'm going to guess that it would be your best choice. Just realize the unique performance profile of the AIR.

However realize I'm not a big fan of quick hardware turn arounds. You would be far better off simply buying a computer today that would remain viable for you for a few years. It is sort of like leasing a car which can make sense for a limited number of people, bu the thrifty buy and then keep a car for years. Admittedly computers are different as they have consistently increased in performance every year. But the fact remains if you can keep the hardware for three years you will save a great deal of money.

Much of this position on computers was learned the hardway back in the 486 days. The constant updating To slightly better hardware or a processor drains a lot of cash out of ones pocket. Better to buy as much performance as you can afford and keep it for a couple of years. Unless you have a really good reason buying hardware with plans to upgrade in six months is just bad economics.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. Yes I would much rather keep it for a few years instead of something like 6 months. The Air is fine performance wise for me, I just hate to have to buy now before I see what will change in the Pro lineup. If its just another minor update then it wouldn't really be a big deal, but I wanted to hold out for something like a 15" Pro that looked like an Air.