Apple seeds new Mac OS X 10.7.2 beta with built-in iCloud support

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Sunday seeded Mac OS X 10.7.2 beta to developers with support for the beta version of iCloud incorporated directly into the build.

For the first time, the pre-release version, labeled build 11C55, does not require a separate install of iCloud services. No known issues are listed for the beta. Apple reportedly lists iCloud, Address Book, iCal, Mail, Safari, and MobileMe as focus areas for the release.

One person familiar with the matter also indicated that Apple has begun transitioning user accounts from MobileMe to iCloud, allowing the transfer of mail, contacts, and calendars to the iCloud.com.

The last beta release of Mac OS X 10.7.2 came on Sept. 2 and included the 10th test version of iCloud as a separate install.

Developers have seen a steady stream of beta software as Apple gears up for several major releases this fall. The launch of iOS 5 and iCloud will be supported by updated versions of iTunes and Mac OS X. Last Friday, Apple issued a beta release of iTunes 10.5, along with pre-release versions of iWork for iOS. The company also recently extended the test period of its iTunes Match service to additional developers.

Apple launched Mac OS X 10.7 Lion on the Mac App Store in July. The company then updated its flagship desktop operating system to version 10.7.1 in August, adding improvements to Wi-Fi and audio out functionality.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Sunday seeded Mac OS X 10.7.2 beta to developers with support for the beta version of iCloud incorporated directly into the build.

For the first time, the pre-release version, labeled build 11C55, does not require a separate install of iCloud services. No known issues are listed for the beta. Apple reportedly lists iCloud, Address Book, iCal, Mail, Safari, and MobileMe as focus areas for the release.

One person familiar with the matter also indicated that Apple has begun transitioning user accounts from MobileMe to iCloud, allowing the transfer of mail, contacts, and calendars to the iCloud.com.

The last beta release of Mac OS X 10.7.2 came on Sept. 2 and included the 10th test version of iCloud as a separate install.

Developers have seen a steady stream of beta software as Apple gears up for several major releases this fall. The launch of iOS 5 and iCloud will be supported by updated versions of iTunes and Mac OS X. Last Friday, Apple issued a beta release of iTunes 10.5, along with pre-release versions of iWork for iOS. The company also recently extended the test period of its iTunes Match service to additional developers.

Apple launched Mac OS X 10.7 Lion on the Mac App Store in July. The company then updated its flagship desktop operating system to version 10.7.1 in August, adding improvements to Wi-Fi and audio out functionality.

You could already transition your MobileMe account from the iCloud.com website, what has changed is that you can now transition from inside Lion.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    big question

will iCloud be supported with osx snowleopard

i saw some rumors i think last week nothing since

some programs i use for work don't support lion yet, can't upgrade till that happens

but still want all the features of iCloud
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

will iCloud be supported with osx snowleopard

Yes.

(character limit)
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I sent an email this weekend to Tim Cook, complaining about the lost functionality in the move from MobileMe to iCloud. Specifically, I bemoaned the loss of sync services (syncing application preferences, keychain, etc.) and the loss of Back to My Mac. I was pleasantly surprised to get a call from his office just now. The outcome is that while there are no plans to add these services, Apple is open to it if there's enough feedback on the subject. So folks, please, send a quick email to Tim Cook ([email protected]) on the matter!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

Specifically, I bemoaned the loss of sync services (syncing application preferences, keychain, etc.) and the loss of Back to My Mac.

Who said Back To My mac is going away?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

Who said Back To My mac is going away?

My bad, I meant iDisk. Had Back to My Mac on my mind!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Hello everyone,

Do you know when the final version of 10.7.2 will be available ?

If you don't know, do you know where the information should be available, or how I can get it ?

Where can I find a list of all the fixes/changes planned for this version ?

Thanks very much in advance
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alafraise View Post

Do you know when the final version of 10.7.2 will be available ?

We can't possibly know. Ever.

Quote:

If you don't know, do you know where the information should be available, or how I can get it ?

On Apple's website. When the software actually comes out. For heaven's sake.

Quote:

Where can I find a list of all the fixes/changes planned for this version ?

In Software Update. When you install the software. When it comes out.

SERIOUSLY?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Tallest Skil : thanks for your response, despite your surprise that not everybody is not as knowledgeable about the macs.

So, before the version is released, we can't know when it will, and what will be changed ? We can obviously guess some.. but nothing is then sure, is it ?

So, most of the time, the iterations of a OS comes how many months apart (aka 10.6.0, 10.6.1, 10.6.2,...) ? Is it on mostly 1 months ? 2 months apart ?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alafraise View Post

So, before the version is released, we can't know when it will, and what will be changed ? We can obviously guess some.. but nothing is then sure, is it ?

Nothing is ever certain with Apple, and no one but they know anything in advance. Ever.

Quote:

So, most of the time, the iterations of a OS comes how many months apart (aka 10.6.0, 10.6.1, 10.6.2,...) ? Is it on mostly 1 months ? 2 months apart ?

There's no set timeframe for 10.x.x updates. You could take an average of the interludes for the past three OS', but that wouldn't tell you anything and it would be wrong, anyway.

Apple releases updates when they're ready. Generally, we get no indication of that beyond the developer pre-releases that say "no known issues".

For this one, it will have to be out before the new iPods and iPhone 5 hit, so there's a maximum timescale for the release of 10.7.2.

Of course, we don't know WHEN that maximum is because we don't know when the iPhone 5 event will be.