Partitioning help please!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
A year or so ago I partitioned my HDD to install Windows 7 using bootcamp. Everything worked just fine and I had no problems installing or using Windows. Now I am running out of space on my HDD and never use Windows so I was just going to re-partition the drive and get rid of windows. I may have done this wrong but I just deleted the entire partition (which worked) but now when I try to re-partition the HDD for the main disk to regain the 32GB that had previously been for windows it gives me the error: Partition failed. Couldn't modify partition map because file system verification failed. Any help would be great, here is some more info.

Original HDD size 200GB. Partitioned 32GB for Windows. Then deleted windows. Now disk utility shows 1 partition 168GB and then it's just blank for the remaining 32GB. When I try to resize the partition and apply is when I get the error above. I am running 10.7.1

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Erase the drive to a "free space" state (the whole drive, not just a partition of it).

Then re-format it with the desired partition map scheme and a single partition...

If it's blank anyway, you'll do no harm by just experimenting with disk utility and looking at all the available options and advanced settings... You'll figure it out yourself and be that much wiser for the effort.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    You can remove Windows partitions through Boot Camp Assistant also. Use that no nondestructively return your hard drive to what it was before. That way you don't have to copy anything back and forth and you don't lose your data.

Of course, back everything up as a precaution though.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I'm having the exact same problem, but I can't erase the whole disk because I'm using a Macbook Pro and I put the bootcamp partition on my one and only hard drive. Is there another way to fix this?

Bootcamp assistant didn't seem to remember that I already had Windows installed. It didn't give me an option to remove Windows, and tried to guide me along into installing windows again.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Boot camp isn't very explicit about removing the boot camp partition. It looks like it's going to have you install Windows again, but keep going forward until you get to the partitioning screen. The program will ask you to download drivers and everything before you get to this point, so just continue forward skipping the driver download.

You'll get to a screen titled "Select Task" where you can choose to create or remove a Boot Camp Partition. Select that and it should show that your hard drive will be partitioned as one OSX partition.